NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello

Hey everyone. I'm a proud owner of an african grey (congo) who I've had for 7 years now.

:o

I also own a tamed Indian Redneck (1 year old ) which I hand raised since it was 1.5 months old :cool:

Glad to be on the forums !

Hi and welcome to the board. Post some pictures of your birds. People here like photos. :)

Welcome. You said your IRN was tamed. Is your Grey not?? Looking forward to hearing more about your babies.

The Grey (named "Mithu" translated as "sweet") is 8 years old and fully tamed and talking as well. However I find the grey to be very sensitive to weather changes etc. Recently it has developed a behavior of breathing very heavy at night - during the day it is fine , playful and has its food as usual.

The IRN (named "Chotu" roughly translated as "little") surprised me. Hand raising it was a treat. It is native to my country so its capabilities are highly underrated locally. My IRN picked up most of the greys vocabulary, including some 3 to 4 letter sentences. The grey is shy infront of people, the IRN is a total clown. :D

Please standby for pictures

"The Grey (named "Mithu" translated as "sweet") is 8 years old and fully tamed and talking as well. However I find the grey to be very sensitive to weather changes etc. Recently it has developed a behavior of breathing very heavy at night - during the day it is fine , playful and has its food as usual."

Perhaps he is not comfortable at night for whatever reason. Do you cover his cage? Perhaps you moved him into "sleeping cage" and he does not like it? Are there lights/sounds/shadows around at night that might confuse him.? Give his situation a look-see around and see if there is anything that confuses or frightens him.

If you could speak to his prior owner and see if something is different or he/she can tell you of an incident that might cause this discomfort. That might help.

Edited by luvparrots

"The Grey (named "Mithu" translated as "sweet") is 8 years old and fully tamed and talking as well. However I find the grey to be very sensitive to weather changes etc. Recently it has developed a behavior of breathing very heavy at night - during the day it is fine , playful and has its food as usual."

Perhaps he is not comfortable at night for whatever reason. Do you cover his cage? Perhaps you move him into "sleeping cage" and he does not like it? Are there lights/sounds/shadows around at night that might confuse him.? Give his situation a look-see around and see if there is anything that confuses or frightens him.

If you could speak to his prior owner and see if something is different or he/she can tell you of an incident that might cause this discomfort. That might help.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my post. I will look into it. :cool:

The Grey (named "Mithu" translated as "sweet") is 8 years old and fully tamed and talking as well. However I find the grey to be very sensitive to weather changes etc. Recently it has developed a behavior of breathing very heavy at night - during the day it is fine , playful and has its food as usual.

The IRN (named "Chotu" roughly translated as "little") surprised me. Hand raising it was a treat. It is native to my country so its capabilities are highly underrated locally. My IRN picked up most of the greys vocabulary, including some 3 to 4 letter sentences. The grey is shy infront of people, the IRN is a total clown. :D

Please standby for pictures

Considering the heavy breathing at night----It's possible that the humidity levels are different at night time. A grey needs to be in a somewhat humidified surrounding 24/7. A very dry surrounding will cause a grey to breathe heavier especially at night when the bird is very calm, quiet, not active and sleepy. A very active grey won't show breathing problems during the day when it's very active. The only exception to this is if the bird is actually sick with a breathing problem all the time. Remember, the area should have higher humidity. I don't know the weather in Pakistan but if it's very dry all the time, you would need to get a small humidifier in your grey's room.