NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Training and/or Behavior Books

robopetz

Hi yall,

What books do you all recommend for training and/or behavior for our greys?

Thank you in advance and have a great weekend!

I seen the sticky on books but decided to ask here. Thanks!

The most important book you should have is ----- The African Grey Parrot Handbook by Mattie Sue Athan & Dianalee Deter. It's not expensive.But this book has nothing to do with specialized training.

They're other books on the market that an author will say that that their book covers all types of training and 99% of the time it's proven to be phony.

The reason is because all greys have individual personalities and what might be good for Peter may not be good for Paul.

Usually, a person can buy a book that only deals with only 1 thing -- example --Stepping up. Another example --Biting. Etc etc.

We have a large sticky concerning Body Language ( grey behavior) that you should learn about.

Usually a person comes here and explains what they wanna accomplish a certain thing and other people give out different methods to accomplish that one thing.

"The Parrot Problem Solver.

Finding Solutions to Aggressive Behavior"

By Barbara Heidenreich

http://www.amazon.com/Parrot-Problem-Solver-Barbara-Heidenreich-ebook/dp/B004H4X7ZU

Also same author -

"Good Bird! A Guide to Solving Behavioral Problems in Companion Parrots"

http://www.amazon.com/Solving-Behavioral-Problems-Companion-Parrots/dp/1895270278/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421553551&sr=8-1&keywords=Good+Bird!+A+Guide+to+Solving+Behavioral+Problems+in+Companion+Parrots+Barbara+Heidenreich

I think the most valuable thing about that first book is the way it looks at behaviors from a wild perspective. Our birds are not that different from their wild relations in a lot more ways than I think most people would give them credit for being. They aren't really domesticated like most of our other critters & its very important to understand the difference w/all parrots. But Greys in particular, I think, because they're so sensitive, intelligent & often at least a little neurotic at at some level.