NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Untraining the shoulder cuddle

Cyard

Ok here is an issue for my sweet Newton, the breeder allowed Newton to sit up on his shoulder before we got him. And I admit that we did too because it is so nice nuzzling and cuddling but the vet's aid who trims Newtons nails says that we should not allow him to cuddle that way. :unsure: Which is fine, I have never let any of my smaller parrots on my shoulder either but I am unsure of how to untrain him and his is so cute and persistant(:whistle: naughty,naughty:whistle:). How can I resist and or distract :blink: such a cute feathered human?

Why not? There are differing opinions on this, but why not let him cuddle on your shoulder. The main argument is that it is dangerous and/or they will get confused as far as who is in charge when they are as high up as you are. I've had parrots my whole life and always allowed them on my shoulder.

Again, there are some who will agree with me, and some who will agree that it should not be allowed. What do you think?

Guest briansmum

if you are happy to have you bird on your shoulder then you can. if you feel you know him and can read him well then go for it. i have my guy on my shoulder because i know when he is in a good mood, he is only allowed there when he wants a cuddle, or to come listen to me talk. if he is being loud and active then he doesnt come to me anyway.

When I first got Klaus, I tried like heck to keep him off my shoulder. This resulted in the "birdie shuffle" wherein he would continually clamber up one arm while I stepped him up on the other hand, and it would begin again. Literally, a continuous loop. I soon got tired of our whole visit being spent this way. Plus, I soon learned that I might need to use my hands for something other than deflecting Klaus from getting on my shoulder. So, alas, he is a shoulder boy through and through. We don't have a bad time of it, though I do sometimes wish to exist for a while without a bird on my shoulder. Most nights he's up there about half the time and playing or eating somewhere the other half.

Oh good this makes me feel so much better because I truly enjoy the snuggling. :P I think that as long as I am attentive and in tune with Newton then he should be just fine. Plus this gives Newton lots of frequent human riding miles.:laugh:

We have our little one on our shoulder, he loves it there. I even bend over and go up side down with him and he gets so excited. He loves cuddles after dinner on the shoulder and he likes to comb my hair for me and stretch with his beak and kiss me on the lips.

If I don't let him on my shoulder he stands on his pearch and waves his foot at me telling me he wants up.

I have started though to not let him fly straight to my shoulder, but to know that I have to put him on my shoulder and then he is allowed there.

I let my greys on my shoulder so that I can carry on with whatever I am doing and keep my hands free. They love to come with me when I am doing house work, gardening (with a harness) or whatever.

The only negatives are that I can no longer wear earrings, and I ended up getting Lasek eye surgery because I couldnt wear glasses!! Eye surgeon said it was the best reason he had ever heard for wanting Laser surgery!

I too agree, I have not really heard any one with an opinion against shoulder cuddling. I admit that I absolutely love having Newton on my shoulder especially at night he loves to chase my hand around (my arm gets tired after about an hour or so:blink:) for a little scratch behind the ears.;)

Hi Cyard,

You hit the nail on the head when you said:

""I think that as long as I am attentive and in tune with Newton then he should be just fine.""

A bird sitting on your shoulder ALWAYS represents a danger to your Ears, Face and Neck areas. As long as you are always alert to your Parrots body language, specifically where his Beak is and the grip of his Talons on your shoulder, you should be "A" ok.

Most injuries occur by owners not paying attention to their Parrots body language, leaving earrings, eye rings etc. in or by making the mistake of letting a guest or relative allow the Parrot to climb on their shoulder. The Parrot is not with a "Loved" companion when they are on a strangers shoulder and the stranger may not know anything about Parrots. If something alarms your Grey, they can react in various ways and one of which is to bite you to make you move out of that alarming situation. This could lead to a very bad situation for you or your guest. So just a word of caution on this.

I enjoy Dayo on my shoulder also and he enjoys being along for the ride or just sitting there and getting scratches :-) The others also hit on a great point too, you can walk around and get things done. Which you could not do if you had him on your Arm or Hand.

It sounds like you have a wonderful loving relationship with your Grey that is mutually rewarding.

I only allow my birds to sit on my should when they have been good, otherwise they are instantly set down.

Sitting on your shoulder should be a privlege not a bus stop for birds ...this way you don't have to worry or be alert as they are on their best behaviour.

They should not fly directly to your shoulder but to your hand and so, if they have been good you then put them on your shoulder.

Post edited by: Mcgyver, at: 2007/11/14 16:14<br><br>Post edited by: Mcgyver, at: 2007/11/14 16:15

• 2 weeks later...

I take Fergie with me alot and in the car and walking around on the different errands that I have to run she is on my shoulder. Its so much easier to have her there. people aren't constantly wantng to pet her up there. which i always say no anyway. She would allow it but I don't know where their hands have been or if they have some kind of infection so its better if she's on my shoulder away from other people and animals.

Pat

I think the "No Shoulder" rule only applies if the bird isn't familiar with the person or the person isn't familiar with the bird. I'm comfortable allowing my Grey on my shoulder but I certainly wouldn't let your Grey on my shoulder. I also wouldn't recommend that anyone else allow my Grey to perch on their shoulder.

I agree with your vet. I know people have had success with their birds on shoulders but there's many if not more that have opposite results and when a bird is sure of itself on the shoulder, it's hard to change the bird's attitude.

Baby birds and adult birds can't be compared as far as shoulders go. Their personalities are different.

No matter how sweet, kind, loveable, cute and adorable your grey is right now, if he gets the idea that he can go on your shoulder, he'she might give you an absolutely free-of-charge lobe piercing for your next set of new earrings mostly from an unforeseen accident or sudden movement. They might also bite your cheek or neck. I have a friend who has an 12 yr old macaw. The bird was always on his shoulder for years. One dayan accident happened. My buddy has a 2 inch scar on his face now. He needed 2 stitches. If you wear a chain on your neck, they're able to snap and break it without even trying hard. They love shiny jewelry. This goes for your husband too because as far as ear lobes go, there is no sexual preference. Another reason for not doing the shoulder thing is that if you use some sort of hair grooming item in your hair, they will get to it because they love to preen hair. If they do get to that cosmetic, they might swallow it and that's a no no. They might also develop a taste for collars on shirts and chew them up. Another thing about the shoulder is that when he's developed into an agile, sure of itself type bird and it comes time that you don't want him there but they wanna stay there,they will give you a struggle when you try to catch him. They'll race over to the other shoulder back and forth behind your back and you can't see the bird behind you and they might bite if you persist.

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/25 18:40<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/25 18:50

It's an individual decision whether we let our birds on our shoulders, keeping in mind the danger of serious bites. Partly it's knowing our birds, and knowing their moods. Right now, Cello the Parrotlet is keeping me company perched on my shoulder. Of course, he doesn't have a beak that can do much damage to my face, ears, eyes! Kali my Grey is not a shoulder cuddler, but I sometimes place him there when my hands are full and we're getting from one place to another. My husband frequently has our Military on his shoulder, and she has never more than nibbled on him. So, I think with some birds the answer is never on shoulders, with other birds it's sometimes, depending, and still others fine anytime!

Reta

• 2 weeks later...

well both my birds sit on my shoulder no problem and if the little guy is snuggly, hey y not? that being said, there is some truth to what the vet says. a parrot is a relatively unpredictable creature once they aren't babies any more. think about if you want a grown up parrot who can and might turn and lash out at you because he is angry at you, or is acting out because he can't reach somebody he's mad at etc near such a tender part of your anatomy. that big ole beak is right about level with your eyes. if this scares you, start training the little guy to stay down now, because as with dogs, consistency from day one is essential. is not fair to let him do something as a baby then start changing rules on him as he grows. one way i've read about to avoid agression on the shoulder while still alowing the bird up there is for YOU to place him there, not him deciding to scamper up there. this puts you in control. YOU decide when he sits on YOUR shoulder, near YOUR face, not him and you decide when you want him to get off.

hope that helps.

oh right, i forgot, to prevent him from scampering up there on your shoulder, tilt your arm so it's as vertical as you can make it while still allowing him to perch comfortably on your hand. good luck!

Hello

This is a catch 22 for people that let there bird on the shoulder and the ones that dont. I let my birds, all 17 go on my sholders( not all at once ). There is nothing wrong with it. You as the human have to have conrtol of your pets at all times. Like dogs birds will feed on negative feedback. If you as the controler show you are the dominate one and he is the lesser one you should have no problems. You need to show that you are the leader of the pack. Do not jerk your hand away when you are going to get him off, he will feed into this and think he has the upper hand. You dont need this at all he has a really sharp weapon on that face of his that can do alot of damage. You need to have the fullest trust in him for this to work 100%. If you have even the slightest dought dont put him there. the main thing is to feel comfy with him there and not have to wonder if you get nipped. This should be the last thing on your mind. Just enjoy him and let him post up there.<br><br>Post edited by: ziggy, at: 2007/12/04 05:51

I have really been evaluating this and here is my conclusion. Ultimately, it of course depends on the owner and the bird. Fo me, I totally trust Newton and when we are cuddling I am giving him my direct attention. I think that if he were to bite (ouch :pinch:) it would probaly be well deserved because I would not be heeding his needs at the moment.

Also I have found this is a great place for him while we are out socializing. I can put him in the harness and hook it onto my arm and he is good and safe and seems to feel secure. I have found this very important because Newton has been visitng my son and daughter's preschool classes. This ensures a good experience for him, the children and keeps him out of harms way of little interested humans. Like I tell the children it is all about respecting the animal and thier space.

The only issue I think I might have with it is when he is chasing my hands around for a head scratch sometimes I get a little birdie butt in my face :blush: which makes me very glad that he likes to shower with me so I know he is clean. :lol:

I really appreciate everyone's feedback this has been a tremendous help for me in making the best choice for Newton. Thank you all very much for the varied opinions this provided me a lot of new perspective on this issue.

I do allow Josey on my shoulder but it is only at home and with only immediate family there, I feel I have control over my situation and if I were somewhere else besides home it would be different.

Yes this is an individual decision and we all make our own and whatever works for each of us is right.