NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What to look for when you're getting a new grey?

ibayiish

I introduced myself and I do not have a grey yet .. haven't even picked one out, or put a hold on one. I don't even know if I will go through with it yet .. Still doing my own research. My question is what do you look for when you're getting a baby grey? I don't even know if there are any breeders in the bay area, CA. What about having one shipped? is it safe? What does DNA test tell you (is it just for gender?) What diseases should you test for? Are they normally tested for by breeders? Health guarantees should be how long? - do they offer health guarantees?

What about rescued greys? How do you know you're getting the right one for your family? I would be interested in raising my own but would love to offer my home to rescue as well but I would be worried about prior bad behavior and ways to correct it.

Basically what is it you look for when you bring a new grey into your home? or what should I look for before just going on a whim, I don't want to just buy one because he/she in my price range but I would like to buy one that I know has been handled, and is healthy (those are the two most important things for now).

Preface my advice with the fact that I had my first Grey at 19 for several years and knew all the stupid mistakes we made back in the early 90's with these beautiful creatures.

Breeder: I found a breeder who knew and practiced the abundance weaning and fledging. It was a new term to me but apparently has been in practice for a while so most good breeders are aware of it. I did not want a bird that was ever clipped. I called and 'interviewed' the breeder and also sent some emails until I was satisfied I was not dealing with a backyard breeder just making a buck. One other thing I did was searched the net to see what others had to say about this breeder. She seemed to have a very good reputation and lucky for me was only a few hours away.

What you look for in a baby Grey is up to you! You won't get what you want - -haaahaaa. I wanted a cuddle bird , also very pliable and a good talker. I got two out of those three traits along with a bunch of other 'bonuses' (strong-willed, moody, highly mischievous). They definitely grow up and change. They become a mix of their own wiring and also their environment - which can be strongly guided by you.

DNA testing is mainly for sex determination. I'm not aware of any testing for disease that is done through the same procedure. On that note, finding a good reputable breeder puts you way down the road towards getting a healthy disease free bird, more than any testing you can have done. Our breeder had a closed aviary policy and showed us all her testing paperwork that gets done on her place etc... Good breeders also know how to wean their birds and socialize them so they have the best chance of fitting into our world.

So if you're going the baby route, your best bet is to find a good reputable breeder OR one you can visit with on multiple occasions before making any decison.

Your other route is to find an older bird in need of a home and there are way too many Greys out there that need good homes since they can never survive on their own. Check out the recent posting here about Felix, it might make you cry. He's one of the more famous Greys in the CAG community and he's a rescue who's previous owner died and he ended up in a pet shop through the damn kids. Personally, the bird we fell in love with at our home was a rescue and she passed away - it was gut wrenching but we loved her more than anything.

Find an avian rescue in your area if there is one and visit it. Older birds come with more baggage but they can really be diamonds in the rough. I've witnessed it on several occasions including the bird we lost.

Edited by SterlingSL

Excellent information from Sterling. I am no pro but I can tell you that be it baby, rehome or rescue, these birds are very much individuals. One of their attractions is they have so much personality! From my own experience and what I have read here and other places, you will not know the bird's temperament, personality and quirks (whether baby or older bird) until you have gotten to know them and they have adjusted to your home environment. Most of us love them anyway, just the way they are. It is like having a child... you can't guarantee if your baby will be affectionate, reserved, clownish, shy, etc. etc. as they mature, but you love them anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a bird rescue group in San Jose called, "Mickaboo." They are a very good organization and care deeply for their birds. There are presently 10 greys (and other parrots) for adoption on their website. http://www.mickaboo.org It couldn't hurt to visit them. I think they could give you really good advice too.

What I looked for is compatibility. Meaning that, did the bird come over when he/she saw me? Does he/she show signs of curiosity and acceptance of me? I almost bought a bird that was not compatible and who was neurotic and fearful, and i am glad I didn't go through with it. It took my awhile to find Brutus and he stepped up immediately and was calm. He seemed relaxed and "at home" with me. It has been that way ever since. I do not know if the neurotic bird would have developed into a good companion, but why start in that position? I think it is better if the bird shows signs of liking you right away, and then it can only get better I think. Let us know how it goes!

Edited by chezron