NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help me fix my parrots biting behaviour

rayyan

Hi everyone I need some help.

I bought milo as an 11 week old baby and he was "silly tame" I could do anything with him. He's now 7 and has changed so much. I know it's all my fault and I didn't continue to give him the attention he had at the start, I started work and we moved house etc.

currently he he lets me hold him and on his terms normally evening he lets me scratch his neck lots. In the daytime he's not so cuddly and often fakes asking for a head scratch to bite. He flys to be and sits on my shoulder but the other day but my ear, he has also been known to fly at me in attack mode not often but has done it.

I can can take him out his cage by hand and that's about it really. He's very confident and brave not at all timid or shy.

I know now I bought it on myself but I want to help him and have a better relationship with him, if there's any advice you can give i'd appreciate it. Do you think I can ever get that relationship back with him?

Thanks

Are you able to spend more consistent time with him than when this behavior was brought on? I do know with my bird, if she doesn't get enough of my time she starts to draw away and gets somewhat bitey and nasty and starts to not want to spend time with me anymore. This usually occurs over the course of a couple or more weeks when I'm stuck at work. All of a sudden one day I'll realize that she's being more of a strong-willed cantankerous turd. Her thing is she really needs the evening rowdy time with me. I swing her, bounce her around, fly her, tickles, chases and just plain rough-house with her. When I'm consistent with this she really becomes a velcro cuddlebug most of the rest of the time. My wife has a Jardines that is the same except he requires lots of scratches under a warm blanket - she gets off easy.

With both of these birds if they don't get their 'normal' human time they start to revert back to their wild ways.

-- just my thoughts.

Hiya, thanks for that, yes I can spend more time with him I am still working and don't officially get home till 4 on a week day but can have him out from then till bedtime. I just don't know where to start with handling him more if he keeps biting me. I am scared of him biting which probably doesn't help. :(

So you mentioned in the evenings he will let you scratch him. It's a common trait with some parrots they will relax their guard in the evenings. I would use that time to really focus on making him pliable again - try to do some of the things you remember he used to do. I've screwed up with my bird a few times and lost a bit of her trust. I've used that strategy to 'apologize' and gain her trust back again.

You can always gain that trust back again as SterlingSL said! You have to be committed and not sway from that promise to yourself. You fortunately have " love and trust", on your side.

Your baby doesn't understand what " limits" means. While Sophie came here at age two, she learned over six months, she was only allowed on my wrist, got on my and kids shoulder, once we trusted each other! When she loved us, wanted to be with us, it was sooo easy to train her!When she bit.... back into her cage. Routine, routine routine! When I was at work, kids would call and tell me what she did! ( Its too late to let her know her behavior was bad!) Bad behavior needs to be communicated at that moment! Greys dont want to be bad, and I believe they really want to please us, and make us happy....however.... when they are bad, they are BAD! Let your baby know! Sophie finally got it,and she is now a p I'm not a big believer in sticking my fingers in a cage, but I can do so. I tended to train off the door.oster child! Well.... NOT really.... she chews alot of things I prefer she didn't! LOL! But, once I open her birdroom when I get home, she runs out and says " ROM"( mom), she is so excited to see me. We haven't been bit in over a decade. Nancy

Thank you for all the good advice and reassurance that it is possible to get the bond back. I have had a bit of luck last night and he flew to the lounge to sit with me, he asked for strokes and I managed to stroke him for ages and scratch all over his head and even stroked his wings! It felt like the good old days! Were still nowhere near where we once were but we have made much progress! :)

They want to be with their flock, which is you, above all. When he bites shake your head 'no', make a sad face and use a sad voice, turn your back on him or leave the room for a couple of minutes. He has to associate his biting with being left alone or ignored for a minute. I wouldn't let him on your shoulder if you can't trust him. Earlobes don't grow back lol. Problem is, I'm not sure how you keep a fully flighted bird from landing on your shoulder if he's used to landing there. Maybe others could chime in with ideas?