NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help with cage set-up

DWRVT

Hello everyone, I finally adopted my Timneh grey and need a little help with getting her some new things.

Was wondering what you might use for sleeping? Example: does your grey use a fleece corner, a flat perch, a tent, just a favourite perch?

Also, what diameter perches should I be buying - I understand different types and shapes are ideal but I am looking for a starting point as I don't want to get something that is way too small or way too big for her feet.

Thanks and I am looking forward to being a more active member of this forum now that Torri is part of my life :)

We have a 'safety pumice perch' in a size large which fits our Grey fine. We also have a natural wood perch that's a little bigger diameter (got it at a bird show). She uses those perches during the day when she's in her bird room but she sleeps on a homemade pvc swing that I build wrapped in small diameter cotton rope. If that's not there she will sleep on her food dish?!?

Give a variety or natural branches that have a large end and a very narrow portion. My flock enjoys having a choice and they move around often even steal each others cages on occasion. We even have one Grey who is part bat as she often sleeps upside down hanging from the roof of her cage. Just offer one new perch or platform at a time so she is not overwhelmed by the strange new things.

My Timneh has perches available varying from 1/2 inch to 2 inches. He sleeps on a concrete perch that is about 1.5 inches in diameter. That is his choice. However, when I got him someone here on the forum told me they tend to sleep on the highest perch available. So, I put the concrete one up there to help with nail grooming and sure enough, that is the one he sleeps on.

I think, for the most part, they do sleep on the highest perch available. That fits with normal instinct to be where they can keep a eye on things and also take flight if need be. Peanut also sleeps on whichever perch is highest in the cage. I have been known to change it ever so often so his feet will get a different stretch. To start you need at least three different perches/platforms. Build from there.

Great advice from everyone! Different perches are very important! Sophie loves the concrete perch the best!

The only thing that I would advise differently, is not to give a favorite perch at top! All my birds are territorial, if at the top of the cage. THATS when I got a bite.I always had a step stool to be taller, when asking my bird to stepup!Many thought I was crazy.... tested it.... worst bite of my life from the Amazon! I went back to always being taller.

I am lucky now, that no matter where they are on their cage, they stepup. Whether they are on the top, bottom, or just walk out or fly, they have a foot up telling me " stepup!" Its funny how the meaning has changed.... they want "me" to step it up.. whats for dinner? Nancy

• 4 weeks later...