NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Molting or feather picking ?

bbaldiran

Hello, I got an african grey about 10 month old and Im from Turkey . In my country vet. only know dog cats and sheep etc. And I dont find any parrot vet. :( I use multivitamins, calcium and eat vegetables. All the time I watch my bird and I dont see any feather picking symptoms. I share my parrots pictures. Help me pls.

IMG_20141204_104822.jpg

IMG_20141204_104630.jpg

IMG_20141129_105023.jpg

I use this seed mix : Versele- laga parrots prestige. For lightning : JBL jungle day light full spectrum lamp ( I use everyday 5-6 hour). Bathing : 3 or 4 times a week and I spreyed water. Everyday sleep 11 12 hour. Normally everthing is fine .. my parrots 10 months old but speak 15 word. He/She learned very fast its very intellignt. But feathers very bad :( I suspect internal/external parasites and I use parasites sprey and internal parasites medicine but didnt work well...

I am not good with feather plucking, as I am lucky to have not had that experience.( I wouldn't wish that on anyone!). Obviously, you have a feather issue. Giving a healthy diet with fresh fruits and veggies, and a balanced seed diet, are very important. Skip the supplements! As others suggested, shower opportunities and natural sunlight are extremely important!

Time out of cage, chew toys, and monitoring when your bird is attacking feathers, are very important . Nancy

Are you still spraying your parrot with parasites spray. It may be that it is irritating your bird's skin so he is trying to get rid of it. If you do not have any aloe vera spray, please just spray your parrot with water to get the parasite spray off of him. The water hopefully cleanse his skin.

Also stop the supplements. A good diet should be enough.

Edited by luvparrots

I've handled several pluckers, and he does not look like the normal patterns of plucking. Either another bird did this to him, (it does happen), or he has something going on with either his skin or feathers. Like everyone says, cut back on vitamins and supplements. You can give them too much, and cause problems. He's eating fruits & vegetables and seeds. A natural foods diet is best. Also some sunshine, but no too much. Bird skin is not meant to be exposed to sunlight naturally, and he could get sunburn which will make things worse. Good luck with him.

• 1 month later...

maybe the house is dry causing him grief frpm dry skin? steam him in the shower, let him take a bath though im not sure he will get wet enough,,,, run a humidifier,,, get some red palm oil and add a little bit to his food a couple times a week? I was told that baby greys don't pluck, dunno if its true or not