NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for pics of cage for handicap grey

JoeGrey

Basically, you're just looking for a long, low cage to overload w/perching & toys. This type of bird needs lots of beak holds & support, support, support. They usually learn to get around amazingly well, all things considered. But just like other birds, they'll keep going up & up, like they've learned to bounce or something.

Unfortunately, that's so not true! So the ideal is lots of very branchy perches & ladders to cradle. "Grabable" toys help steady them, too. W/a nice soft layer of shavings &/or washable flannel on the floor, they'll be about as safe as they can get.

You could see about using a travel cage as permanent housing. As long as it's specifically made for birds so the paint, etc is safe. Maybe a fold-able carrier, but you'd at least need to keep some parts of it zip tied & check to make sure they stay that way.

Ours is 30"L x 19"D x 22"H. Really roomy. But I don't like to have Phenix in it because no matter what, he'd eventually find a way out. He's just that kind of guy. But it's great for Kura because she isn't ...that kind or a guy. lol So basically it would pretty much depend on the bird's personality. I just don't know how they'd stand up to constant use & cleaning, long term, though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25790&stc=1

I also have King's aluminum travel cages. I really like them a lot. They're heavy, solid, well made & are officially Phenix-tested-escape-proof. Very big points in almost every category. It might be worth looking into investing in a large one. They're expensive for a travel carrier. But not really as a full time cage.

I have seen where some smaller bird owners have made them their bird's permanent home. Apparently, some bigger bird owners use them for sleep cages, too.

VVV might want to turn your Volume down first lol VVV

They come all apart for "easy" cleaning (it's still bird poop so "easy" is a relative term here lol). The cups & door latches are the only things that may need to be replaced eventually & King's usually has them in stock. Otherwise, they're made of aluminum; they should last a very, very long time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=25791&stc=1

http://www.lavoliere.ca/reviews.php?language=En

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kings-Cages-Parrot-Bird-LARGE-ALUMINUM-TRAVEL-CAGE-ATM2029-Red-bird-toy-toys-/370867955795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item565973e853

attachment.php?attachmentid=25792&stc=1

kuraCg.jpg

lgKingCg.JPG

lgKingCgWstand.JPG

Thanks! I have been looking at some of the large guinea pig cages, not sure how they'd hold up. I know someone previously mentioned a chinchilla cage in another thread I was reading. Was thinking about 40"-48" long and 20"-24" high. With horizontal bars and some shelf perches, then plenty of toys. He really loves toys. It will mostly be for him to sleep in and when I'm not home, as I hate keeping a bird in a cage.

Edited by JoeGrey

First, I somehow skipped shelf perches on the list for your cage. There are a few types & if you read the links, someone has a DIY w/instructions posted.

I have only zipped over these. I didn't really read them. But if you haven't already found them, they looked like they could have at least some useful info.

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/making-the-cage-suitable-for-your-special-needs-parrot/

https://www.google.com/search?q=cage+for+handicapped+parrot&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&biw=1366&bih=657&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=npF6VInlPPWAsQS0zYHABQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&dpr=1#rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&q=avianavenue.com+cage+for+handicapped+parrot

:o That time I forgot to add that it's important to use something specifically labelled as a bird cage. The powder coated paint is different on birds' cages because otherwise they can have problems w/ the paint fumes long after it's dried. The paints that are more commonly used on metal have ingredients that are toxic as well.