NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Very odd question but here goes...

Timbersmom

OK, does anyone else on the forum make soap? I have been doing it for years, using the cold process method. I always mix my lye water outside because of the fumes, but the rest of the process is done inside not far from Timber. There haven't been any problems. Fast forward... I'm wanting to try the hot process method where the soap is actually put in the oven or in a crock pot. The lye mixing would still be done outside. I wouldn't think there would be any problem but wanted to ask on here first and see what everyone thinks? Thanks!

Yes, I make bath soap. I also make lotion (which is much easier) and it is great stuff! The bath soap is more moisturizing and detergent free. You can make it the scent you like or unscented. We had been using it for six months or so back in the day, then we went on vacation. We used the soap at the hotel, and my husband's comment was, "Wow what a difference! I hate this store bought stuff now."

That's interesting: I looked into making soap after buying my last pack of Dial and noticed they are really curving the bars so as to sell you as much air as possible. The bars disappear really quick in the shower too - maybe last a week. I swear I remember soap used to last A LOT longer than that. I decided I'm done with them after reading about others who are complaining about the same thing. Deceptive packaging really pisses me off and I usually won't put up with it.

How hard is it to make your own soap? I've forgotten all that I looked into after I found a supplier of no-name-no-frills soap that we use.

It isn't hard at all but it is time consuming. Most of the time I spend on prep and cleanup. The longer you let the bars "cure" the longer they last. Minimum cure for cold process is 4 weeks. Longer is better. Here is a very basic recipe http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/homemade-soap-recipe.html. Another good resource is http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/basic-soap-recipe.html#.VGucJvnF_il

I took a class many years ago through the local community college and the rest is history! I don't do much design or coloration. I usually add 1/4 cup of finely ground oatmeal for exfoliation right before I pour it (after trace) and sometimes a tablespoon of cinnamon for color.

There are several groups on facebook that have recipes etc. and are good places to ask questions.

I've always wanted to try and do that! Being a vegetarian and concerned on what goes in my body. I was also looking at things that we put on our body as well. Making your own soap is all natural and takes away all those chemicals and bad things most products have.

Hey Timbersmom! I made soap for many many years, also using the cold process. Used to also have a great relationship with the butcher at the local market and he would give me tons of beef fat which I would render down into pure tallow. Ah my old granola hippie girl days :) I actually taught a group of living history "laundresses" at an historical site how to make soap from the rendering stage to the bar stage. Also made goat's milk, olive oil, etc. VERY cool to find someone else who knows how to do it.

I had both my Amazon and my CAG at the time, in a huge old house. I always mixed the lye outside. I do a lot of dyeing -- and I do that outside on a two burner propane stove on nice days. I'm wondering if you could do the hot process in a similar fashion?

Yes I could if it wasn't 25 degrees outside, ha! I went ahead and did the HP in a crockpot and there were no ill effects. Since I mix the lye outside regardless of temp, there weren't any noticeable fumes coming from it when I brought it in. The cook stage didn't produce noticeable fumes either. I will need to be careful when I fragrance. So far so good though. Timber is his usual nosy self about what I am doing, but he doesn't seem to be affected by the process.