NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help Mice!

JeffNOK

Hi all,

I have seen a mouse in my condo. I don't know if he is alone, or has a family. But I need to find a way to get rid of him/them. What advice do you have for rodent elimination in a home with a parrot? Obviously any sprayed poison is out. Are d-con pellets ok if they are kept in a place Gracie can't get to them? Traps? I don't want to do the sticky traos--too cruel. Help--this stressing me out! The first few days I just tried talking to the mouse and asking him to leave....didn't work...lol

Jeff

I live in the country and have mice every year. I use d-con with good results. YES, make sure the birds can get no where near the poison. I hate to mention it, but, make sure you check around the house daily for a dead mouse. They will most of the time go out to die, but once in a while they will be inside and you don't want the birds to find them first.

I prefer the spring traps. I used the bait 3-set 1 technique. Bait the traps for three nights consecutively, but don't set them. This "trains" the mice on where to go look for food. Then bait and set them on the fourth night.

To adapt to having a parrot, don't put out the traps until after Gracie is settled down for the night in her cage, but put them out in the same location.

I've used strawberry jelly and peanut butter as bait.

Has anyone tried the live catch "humane traps?" I want to work my way from 1) talking to it (obvious fail), 2) live catch (might work?), 3)Rest In Peace....

I am currently using the live traps. I was taking them outside, but they found their way back rather easily. >.< So now they go to mousey jail, until spring. Not to worry, they get fresh food daily along with a dry mix (aka bird leftovers) and they have a nice gym (exercise wheel) so they are well ahead of US jail standards. The only thing I don't have for them is a law library, and the first time one of them can ask me for that, I will get them one. :P

Also, I wash them in the dishwasher between uses so they don't smell like "scared mouse". My catch rate is not bad, except for a few days to get the hang of how much peanut butter is too much or not enough for baiting.

I'm sitting here right now listening to the chip-chip-chip-chip of the wheel going.

I advise NOT using D-Con. We had a cockatiel that got out and got into some and we lost her, years ago. I have not had D-Con in my house since.

EDIT -

The Tomcat brand traps seem to have a lot of bait loss with no catch. We are moving to Hav-a-Hart traps instead. I will let you know how that works out. In the meantime, here's Bianca, the baby mouse, enjoying her Thanksgiving feast.

IMG_20141127_145459.jpg

Edited by Muse

Okay, I have to admit even with mice, it makes me lay awake thinking about Decon or sticky traps. Last year we had a battle with a rat that came in. Even with the destruction, I couldn't agree to let my husband use poison or sticky traps. What I did find at Home Depot and finally, reluctantly after some serious damage, is a battery operated electric trap. It was less than an exterminator and quick.

Here's some more fuel for the fire: I came home late last night and since the sun is setting near 5:30pm it was already dark. I mildly paniced because I still had my Gambels outside PLUS our dogs are grounded 'for life'. Now the dogs are grounded because they escaped on Sunday when our gate froze wide open and they ended up running the neighborhoods for new hunting ground causing me an all-day search in 34 degree temps on my scooter (we found them after dark on Sunday night).

Back to my qauil in the dark...So I ran to get my quail and found one be-headed and partially eaten through the cage bottom. He was still warm, so I knew the perp was nearby. So I ran and released my wickedly fast and notoriously good huntress - Bella our Rat Terrier - and sick'ed her on him, whatever it was. She found him in less than a minute: a big old disgusting rat hiding near my aviary of all things. JUST THINK IF HE'D HAVE GOTTEN MY CAIQUE!!! I relished in the slaughter of that lil <blankety-blank-blank-blank> while holding my headless Gambels quail. If Bella would have let me at him I would have hacked him into pieces with my machete since I was so pissed at losing one of my prize Gambels males.

Suffice it to say - it's always my fault things like this happen. I had forgotten when I left that morning and put my quail out that the dogs were in deep doo-doo with wifey and wouldn't be allowed to patrol AND I'd be getting home in the dark.

All that to say, I have no love for rats/mice around here. I caught the mice at the barn eating my less than week old chicks which is why I built a bucket trap. I can't use poison around here because Bella will dang sure get them and I do not want her harmed.

Here's a pic of Sterling-Ranch rodent and varmit control. They also fend off the coyotes and even a bobcat twice. Both are rescues, Pinky the big one was actually found inside a dumpster as a week old pup:

BellaPinkyLostCL_01.JPG

People shouldn't be so worried about killing mice or rats. Remember that they carry vermin. They can spread infection. Their droppings can hurt other domestic house pets. Humane?? Come on, disease shouldn't be quickly accepted by anyone. I believe that the quicker the kill the better. Mice and rats can get into garages and basements when the fall starts fading. They hide, they constantly breed and they infiltrate anywhere they can get into. A mouse only has to be 2 mts old before it can breed. They constantly leave droppings because they have no bladder. They're destructive.

I've seen some extremists who actually try to find humane ways to get rid of roaches. Those people have no idea what they're dealing with. Any surefire trap for rodents that's used to get them is the best. The same goes for roaches. The only reason I don't recommend glue traps for rodents is because many people forget to check the traps frequently and one of the worst things to experience is the smell of a dead mouse or rat stuck on the glue. Otherwise, glue sticks or glue traps and any other deadly guaranteed mouse traps are fantastic.

What's great about D-Con is that it's not an instant killer. The mouse eats that stuff because it tastes good and then brings it back to the nest, the babies eat it and within a week they're dead.

Please don't use poison bait traps. The poison is an anti-coagulant and WHEN other animals consume the dead animal the toxin builds up in their bodies until they hemorrhage and bleed to death. This is a problem in my neighborhood with higher predators like hawks, owls, and coyotes. We have so many gophers here and people use poison baits. The problem is in how the baits work, they cause the animal to hemorrhage and the poisoned animal gets really thirsty and comes out of the ground to look for water and dies, then they are consumed by dogs, cats, hawks, or other animals. Many vets see the gruesome results of this feeding. PLEASE don't use baits! Last year I took a red-shouldered hawk from my property to the vet but it was too late for herl because there was too much poison in her system and she died.

Edited by chezron

We had a poodle when I was young, she died because of that. It was horrible to see and well over 30 years later I still remember it like it was last week. There is no easy way to rid them, find the entry and block it up with steel wool. (They can't chew through that.)

I don't know. When I was putting it up I didn't take any chances and got the steel wool. We had a field behind our house, full of cows, and one day an apartment complex decided to build there. The mice had no where to go but into our house. We had them everywhere and our cat gave up and just made friends with them. Somewhere I have a picture of our cat with two mice sitting on our fireplace mantle. Had to have a pest control out to rid them and they are who told us about the wool trick, they said it was the worse infestation they had experienced. They came daily for a week and then twice a week the every other week until there were no more signs of them. At that time they used traps, which is why they came every day. I had a vase in the attic with marbles in it, we would hear the mice taking the marbles to the peak and let them roll back down the vaulted ceiling in the living room, it would have been cute except that it was in my house!

For those that really feel that they must be nice to the mice. Let me say one thing--I don't like being nice to mice

Fresh Cab Natural Rodent Repellent

Fresh Cab rodent repellent combines ease of use with biodegradable ingredients for a safe and environmentally friendly way to rid any home or farm of mice. Fresh Cab comes in convenient pouches that you can put anywhere indoors.

For preventative use in non-infested areas, simply place one pouch for every 125 sq. feet, scent lasts up to 90 days. For use in currently infested areas, increase use to 1 pouch per 8 sq. feet of floor space and replace every 30 days.

How Fresh Cab Works

Fresh Cab is a pleasant-smelling mix of corn cob chips, herbal extracts, and plants. Customers rave about how good Fresh Cab smells. Rodents don’t like the smell and will leave the area to get away from it. This makes your job much easier. All you need to do is place the pouches where the mice are living and wait for Fresh Cab to work its magic. You won’t have any dead mice to dispose of, and there won’t be any foul odors from dead mice in walls or other hidden areas. Mice will leave to find a new home without the Fresh Cab scent, and the smell prevents other mice from moving in.

Edited by Dave007

Dave007... had an excellent post, as others did as well! Of course, our birds are more important. I was just grossed out, and can tell you I don't deal with mice or rats. My kids do as well as my adopted son. Nancy

Let me guess

Hmmm, your groomer/ trimmer has the solution?

I thought so!!!! I DID laugh picturing my bird trimmer with his long grey hair in a pony tail chasing any mice I could have! He won't even talk to you until he approves you as a parent. I am okay, I guess, as he talks to me all the time and knows my name as well as Sophie.

I am VERY proud of myself when I had a disgusting bat in the house! I could only think of Sophie's safety. I pictured this bat attaching itself to Sophie's neck, sucking her blood... gave me the courage to do what I needed to do! ( I have a very active imagination!) I put on a hoodie, went outside ( ollie was basking in the sun and looked at me curiously). I opened the sliding glass door from the outside with broom in hand, found him on the floor and swept him out. HISSING and FANGS YIKES! NO SOPHIE FOR YOU! I said....yes, I know, he was probably more scared of me. Mama bear protecting her cub... I was very proud of myself!

Whenever I have had a mouse... Sophie just says " hello", I'm sure she confuses a mouse vs guinea pigs that I use to raise. Nancy

JeffNOK, I'm with you... I even had a chat with a racoon one night who was trying to find a way into my chicken coop. I shook my finger at her and scolded her and she just looked at me like "nutty humans". A few years later she came back one night when I forgot to close the sliding chicken door and wiped out half the flock (I only keep 6). I even wrestled one of the hens back from her as she was trying to make her getaway and take it with her. That hen is miraculously fine today. Lesson learned, I will never forget to close that door again, but as for the racoon - I saw her carrying her babies down from a tree (relocating them) a few days after the massacre so she was just trying to feed her family - I can't really hold that against her.