NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

NEW COMMER

kelly

JUST TO SAY HELLO TO EVERY ONE IVE BEEN ON HERE ABOUT 3 DAYS NOW AND IVE JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO INTRODUCE MYSELF WELL IM KELLY GOT A CAG HIS NAME IS ZAK HES 6 MONTHS OLD AND VERY NASTY WITH MY KIDS I NEED SOME HELP ON HOW TO STOP HIM BEEN SO AGGRESSIVE TOWARDS THEM PLAEASE SO ANY ADVICE WILL BE MUCH APPRICATED THANX

;)

WELCOME TO THE FORUM.

There is a lot of reasons why. We need a lot more info about the backround since you got the bird. Where, when , why, who is the main person for the bird, do you work, how much time does the bird have with everyone and on and on. The more the better.

Joe<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/11/07 19:01

Hello and welcome to the family, Kelly, glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Zak.

How old are your kids? I ask this as very young children shouldn't be interacting much with greys, they are too immature to be handling them. Most greys do not like children much for they are loud and quick moving, they scare them so that is why they react the way they do. You will need to keep some distance between your kids and Zak for he can do some damage to them if allowed to come close enough for him to get a hold of them.

We have many threads here that you should read thru for lots of helpful information and some of the other members will chime in with their suggestions on how to go about dealing with the aggression from your grey.

If you have a picture of Zak that you would like to share with us please do, we would love to see Zak, I can see from your avatar that you are a lovely young woman.<br><br>Post edited by: judygram, at: 2007/11/07 20:06

WELL THANKYOU FOR THE WELCIME, IF YOU LOOK AT MY PROFILE THERE IS SOME PICS OF ZAK ON THERE.AS FOR THE BIRD NEVJOE I AM HIS MAIN PERSON I GOT HIM AT 15 WEEKS OLD HE WAS SUCH A SWEETIE WITH EVERYONE BUT NOW I THINK HES POSSESSED :evil: LOL HE LIKES MY PARTNER WHEN HES GOT SOMETHING HE WOULD LIKE ,I DONT WORK AS MY KIDS ARE STILL YOUNG YET, WELL MY YOUNGEST JUST STARTED SCHOOL PART TIME SO ZAK GETS ME ALL TO HIMSELF ALL AFTERNOON BUT WHAT I HAVE NOTICED IS THAT ONCE HES BEEN OUT FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS HE THINKS HE OWNS THE PLACE (NOT A PROBLEM YOU MAY THINK )BUT IT IS WHEN HE STARTS GETTING AGGRESSIVE WITH ME HE LANDS ON MY HEAD IF I TRY TO MOVE HIM OFF HE NIPS OR FLIES OFF THEN SWOOPS ME ITS LIKE HES IN A PANIC FOR SOME REASON OR OTHER :unsure:

I think he is getting a little over excited and you may have to put him back into his cage for a little cooling off time, also the young kids may be contributing to this situation too. Like I said in an earlier post, young kids are too quick moving and loud and greys scare easy so he is just reacting to that and because you are close you get the brunt of the reaction.

You may also have to assert your dominance so he knows he is not the ruler of the roost, you are, so some more cage time may be the answer but keep some distance between him and your young kids.

ive stopped getting him out while my kids are in i wait till there at school and in bed, he has nearly took the fingers off 2ov my kids ,and last night he landed on my eldest sons head and for no apparent reason he bit his head but they scraem and when hes let go he mimics them so i think hes doing it for the reaction my eldest son didnt move ar anything last night cos he new what would happen iof he di ,but he got it anyway they cant win lol

:unsure:

I think you hit the nail on the head, he is feeding off the excitement of the kids and continues to do it for the reaction he gets. Its best to keep him caged while the kids are in the room with him for their own safety, Zak could put a nasty scar on them that they would carry for the rest of their lives and you don't want that.

hes got there screams off to a tee i tell the kids not to scream and when i look round its him not the kids lol, hes just started following me when im cleaning my house and i think thats why he started getting giddy i think he gets adgitated when hes in a different room he doesnt quite no how to react to it :unsure:

Welcome, Kelly!

You've come to the right place for great advice and nice people.

Kids in general can make a Grey nervous because it's difficult for them to move slowly and quietly. My son is 10 and has been disappointed that Klaus is not "his" bird. (Klaus is definitely attached to me.)

I'm sure things will be fine in time, but not mixing the kids & the bird right now sounds like a good solution.

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to the beautiful world of Grey love. I'm new here, but not new to birds. Its best to watch your kids with any bird. I work at a birdie pet store as a trainer for birds that have behavioral problems. I'm not really good at answering question's about Grey's "YET" but i'm getting there. Anyways, welcome again!

Lisa