NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What to do?

Acappella

Lately Dorian has been obsessed with hanging out on my desk. He climbs down from his cage and walks over to me, trying to climb up my leg, the desk leg, tickling my feet, until I put my hand down to pick him up and put him on my desk. I give him lots of stuff to do on the desk, but no matter what I do it isn't long before he starts panting and getting 'excited'. He gets obsessed with my hand or the computer mouse. I pick him up and put him back in his cage and the whole thing starts again. He also gets that same way in the morning when I open his cage for the day. He's getting a full 12 hours of dark sleep time, no nesting boxes etc... I don't pet him anywhere but his head, except for an occasional kiss on his wing, never when he's in this state. Is there anything else I can do to deter this behaviour?

I feel your pain but I don't have any answers. Timber does the same at times and it seems to be seasonal. I do the same as you, and eventually he will chill out and "normalize." So, the only advice I have is to ride it out and it will pass! That is the case with Timber anyway. Someone with more experience may have a better answer.

I haven't experienced this with Miss Gilbert but Java went through a couple of love fests. I painted my nails and she wanted nothing to do with me. The smallest change may be the trick. Maybe one of those fingerless gloves when you are using the computer and mouse might help him keep his distance until he cools down a bit. Dorian knows most of your distraction techniques, he may respond if you change things up a bit. Do you give him hemp seeds? Just wondering because I read recently hemp is given to chickens to stimulate egg laying. I give them to Gil in small amounts and haven't seen any mating behavior though.

I have experienced this with all my flock at different times of the year. I just let them be and it will eventually stop on its own........tis the season..........I will stop touching them and sometimes try and walk away to discourage it...but it is just a stage, and it will pass.

Lately Dorian has been obsessed with hanging out on my desk. He climbs down from his cage and walks over to me, trying to climb up my leg, the desk leg, tickling my feet, until I put my hand down to pick him up and put him on my desk. I give him lots of stuff to do on the desk, but no matter what I do it isn't long before he starts panting and getting 'excited'. He gets obsessed with my hand or the computer mouse. I pick him up and put him back in his cage and the whole thing starts again. He also gets that same way in the morning when I open his cage for the day. He's getting a full 12 hours of dark sleep time, no nesting boxes etc... I don't pet him anywhere but his head, except for an occasional kiss on his wing, never when he's in this state. Is there anything else I can do to deter this behaviour?

Bring him to a bird whore house. He'll definitely be pleased and have a huge grin for you. He'll know you understood his situation and he'll be very,very grateful. He'll know you're reading his body language.:cool: