NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New Member Needs Help!

Talon

Coconut water is the liquid inside young (unripened ?) coconuts. Coconut milk is the juice inside the meat of the coconut. They both have the right electrolytes & are supposed to help w/hydration. But coconut milk has the fat & fiber which will help w/the healthy weight gain as well. If she likes it, you certainly can feed her coconut meat too.

My rehab diet is a mix of Gerber baby beef, quinoa (cooked or not), raw broccoli & cantaloupe. I just usually make a chunky smoothie out of everything but you can change the proportions & totally change the consistency to suit Loki. No real proportions, just easier on the beef, heavier on the broccoli. The fids lap it up. So hopefully Loki will keep eating it for you. If you still need ideas, you might read this thread for some different combinations.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?194243-Mash-amp-Chop

Because in a perfect world, "all" you need to do is let Loki loose on an awesome load of healthy food & "just" get her to gorge for a while. And you may even be that lucky. She may just not have been comfortable enough to eat for whatever reason or not fed enough "good stuff". So you could also see what happens if you make her feel safe & happy, keep an endless supply of tidbits in her dish for the next couple of weeks.

In this happy version of things, you can tip the scales a little w/some extra things like hard boiled egg (shell & all), nuts, grains & a bit of very well cooked fish or poultry. Again, "well cooked" chicken bones w/marrow, too.

Once everything gets back to normal, these are the types of things to feed more sparingly, because they are healthy, but can be fattening. And while I had one fid who was on the rehab formula for more than a month, it isn't balanced for the "long term" either.

Edited by birdhouse

Thank you so much! ! :)

Got everything for your mash :) I'm going to check out link. Every one including us eat pretty healthy.

This is a first for me, having to get weight back on, so of course I'm like a mother hen, wanting her to eat everything I put in front of her, but then again my other babies will sometimes look at me like *really* you expect me to eat this lol, usually when I'm trying out something new

You're very welcome. Now, no fussing allowed, ok? Our stress adds to our fid's stress, especially before they've really settled in. Just slap something in a dish & walk away (before anyone can fling anything at you :) ). Not like you care or anything. No big deal if it gets eaten or not.

I think it's more true about greys than any other fids; but it seems the odds are the more they think we want them to like something, the less likely they will. Of course it's also bred in the bones of most greys that a-a-all new things are bad, very ba-a-ad. Fortunately, *most* Zons are *usually* a ton more adventurous. So fingers crossed!

Okay now, I'll take that! :) Loki had her beak in bowl for the longest time since having her here, and all I had to do was sit in Thee most uncomfortable rocking chair on this planet that is next to her cage in the kitchen and eat my supper :) she didn't eat everything mind you, but more than she done before. :)

Hahaha So true with the greys! Our 1st 2 who have been with us 3 years now! Finally realized that were not trying to poison them ;) and are now turning into moochers when they see hubby eating, and it doesn't matter if they have same thing in their bowl, his taste better lol.

I like to experiment with food, I don't want them to get bored eating the same thing all the time, some days they like my concoctions then other days, not so much lol

Edited by slayv4petz

Birdhouse, I tried your mash instead of cantaloupe (totally forgot that I just bought) I used mixed vegetables, otherwise everything else the same, almost a total success, 5 out of 6 liked it, Zeus was the only one not eating it =O I even tried it, not bad at all

I take that back, now that I think about it, it was a total success! All the greys ate it!! That is Huge! LOL

Edited by slayv4petz

Our vet told us the same thing about waiting for a rehome to settle before doing a baseline bloodwork. He said they will have elevated stress levels and if there isn't something glaring like a fresh injury or suspected infection, the first visit is a meet and greet. It really set the tone for Gilbert and she has had great vet visits since then. Glad you are not seeing evidence of new plucking, maybe she knows she is in a really good place with you. And whether you feel like you need it or not, there is such a deep appreciation for someone who takes a chance with a troubled soul... Or two. Your life would be quieter, cleaner, more elegant if you didn't fill your home with parrots, but I think its worth the occasional mayhem. Thanks for being with us on the forum.

Figures, the cantaloupe is the best part!!! In fact, I meant to tell you to start w/some extra because I've had such good luck w/it. Cantaloupe seems to be a universally loved fruit flavor. But, yes, every bird I've given that mix has eaten it no matter how picky or at what stage they were recovering, assuming they could eat normal food.

Next, you might also add into the mix a little unflavored, all natural pro-biotic yogurt w/the cantaloupe.- The active microbes are good to help to re-balance the naturally occurring things that might have gotten out of whack. Maybe later in the day you can see what you can do about getting Loki to eat things off the list I said was fattening, too.

Hopefully, she's a) getting an awesome nutritional balance b) lots of fun grazing c) which is helping her settle happily in d) put some meat on those bones e) recreate a more functional metabolism f) & keep her mind off any feathers she may or may not have been thinking about removing. Did you think it was going to be so easy? :cool:

Edited by birdhouse