NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Murphy Flock, 9 and counting.

murfchck

That is where I got the herb idea, love Pintrest, lol. I took the bowl ring, from the extra bowls you can get from Petsmart, and hung them from the wire with Rosemary, mint etc. planted in them. For plants like that to work apparently you have to have a wind, we don't have any wind. :-(

https://goo.gl/photos/uvk2p3fEUVCk9ygX6

We tried sitting out there last yesterday after work and I kid you not came running back inside with no less than 15 welts each. I am scared to put my babies out there now. I picked up some natural stuff you sprinkle around, says it is only good for 7 days and then you have to reapply, one hour maybe, but not even a day. I hate when the city drives around spraying for these but at this point would welcome them and their chemicals. I guess though they have to have a reported case of Zika before they will do anything.

• 2 weeks later...

We now have another animal that has moved in, outside. An opossum, still a young little one. I first saw him a little over a week ago coming out from under the deck. A few days later he was running along the back fence with my dogs right there, totally ignoring each other. We didn't know what to do so got online about trapping it only to find that they are natures best rodent eliminator. Every thing we read said if you are lucky enough to have one in your yard to let it be. It will only stay around between 1 and 3 months then will move on. So we named him Buck and then never saw him again... Until this morning, I let the cat out and just saw something run along the bird flight. It looked like a big rat so I jumped back inside but had to be brave and went out anyway. Turned on the light and there was Buck, inside my little rodent safe area, frozen from the light. No matter how safe they say these things are, they are still scary looking small or big and I ran past him into the yard. While running by him I was think how stupid I am because I am running away from the door and will have to get past him again but I just couldn't stop running. I pulled up my big girl panties and went back to the door and shut the light off for him and by the time I made it back to the yard he had moved. I never saw him actually leave the patio but didn't care because he wasn't in the corner over the door giving my his version of the eye of distain anymore.

Drawbacks are Opossum poo that cockroaches may ingest then if any birds eat the roaches that chewed the poo there is a very bad protozoan that builds up in the birds bloodstream until they turn toxic and literally fall off your arm dead-that sudden no warning. Also they can attack and kill smaller birds.

Yea, we haven't got to put misters in the new ones yet or a roof, just 2 bamboo shades on one side. The older ones have the misters and it is fine but only fits 6 - 8 birds max.

We had them all out a few weekends ago and all but 3 macaws and 1 grey lasted, the others all looked like they were about to stroke out. Again the ones in the older flights were fine.

We use a cheapazz 'cobra' misters from HD. Stuffed it in front of that drum fan and seriously cools off. GreycieMae was scared of the whole dealio last season and would sit in the far 'hot' no-shade corner of the aviary. This year she sits on the hanging perch that sits directly in front of the mist and air and gets the added benefit of a slow free push to go round and round.

I really want to put a line of misters along the support and hang my drum fan so it blow all the way across the lenght of the aviary but I need someone to come do some projects so I can get to that one.

By the way, i google imaged searched 'mister'. I did not need to see half naked dudes wearing sashes. I will now be suing google for PTSD. However I have a co-worker who said I have to get in line behind his lawsuit over 'Dicks sporting goods'.

I am laughing so hard at that! Thank you, needed the giggle. We made our misters from pvc and the heads that you can buy to "add" on to existing. Works great! Just put a cut off on it and instant cool when we want it. It isn't hard, it is the time. I need more time! Hubby has his one handyman service now so you can hire him to get stuff done for you Steve. Atleast one of us could be able to have misters this year! Lol i fell like a mechanics wife whos car never runs! We are going to start advertising for the bird flights though for those who don't know where to start!

By the way, i google imaged searched 'mister'. I did not need to see half naked dudes wearing sashes.

:confused: You say that like it's a bad thing...? All a matter of perspective, I guess! ;)

Sorry, may have gotten a little side tracked there. Meanwhile back on topic - this is all very interesting coming from such a different environment. We have a huge mosquito problem, too. It's only partly true that moving air makes the mosquitoes stay away. The rest of that sentence is, "...when they can find food elsewhere." All bets are off when they get hungry enough.

Some bug zappers are disgusting, but helpful. And my neighbors who have less trees use citronella dust around their yards. I've been told it's safe, but I haven't actually done the homework since it's not going to do me any good.

We also have Bat Boxes. Bats are our friends!! They eat something like their weight in mosquitoes each night.

Mosquito repellent plants everywhere helps. But it's about parts per million. Scent concentration vs air volume. The bigger, the better. The more, the better. My big potted Citronella plants can follow me around when I weed. A couple of 3 foot plants is normally enough to let us hang out on the deck... unless my sister's here. For some reason, they'll even brave citronella for her blood. They just swarm around her & it's scary ridiculous!

Anyway, it's a combination of things. But when all else fails, it's time to bring out the netting. I've had an EZ up screened tent forever. Love that thing. And even places like Walmart sell camping netting for cheap. So it's travelling cage protection, dropped over a PVC frame.

Wondering if you guys could do something clever w/screen door mesh? The dark mesh could help a little w/shade, too.

I do remember you said you have a brown thumb & all. But whether you bought or grew these, I thought at least it was a good list for you (or anyone else) to have.

Also, this list hasn't been vetted as bird-safe. But I'm thinking anything that isn't safe for the aviary can be planted out of reach around the yard. Help to expand the defense perimeter, so to speak.

http://www.seedsnow.com/products/all-in-one-mosquito-repellent-variety-pack

1. Basil, Cinnamon

Cinnamon Basil is by far one of the most popular and possibly one of the most fragrant. This basil grows easily. It's aroma's will remind you of sweet cinnamon.

Great multi-purpose variety to grow in your garden that grows well in containers.

Basil emits its aroma without crushing the leaves.

Grow basil in your backyard to control mosquitoes. Plant basil in pots so you can move them around easily.

To keep the mosquitoes away from your body, rub a handful of crushed basil leaves on your skin.

2. Basil, Lemon

Beautiful and flavorful small basil leaves. Leaves have a unique lemon scent.

Very easy to grow.

Grow basil in your backyard to control mosquitoes. Plant basil in pots so you can move them around easily.

To keep the mosquitoes away from your body, rub a handful of crushed basil leaves on your skin.

3. Genovese Basil

Genovese Basil is a classic! It's prized for being sweet with undertones of a spicy flavor. You can't beat it's aroma. These plants grow anywhere from 18"-24" inches.

4. Catnip

Catnip is also a VERY effective mosquito repellent.

According to ScienceDaily.com, nepetalactone, the essential oil in catnip that gives the plant its characteristic odor, is about ten times more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET — the compound used in most commercial insect repellents.

Simply grow catnip near the backyard or patio of your house.

5. Lavender

Lavandula angustifolia, English Lavender, is one of the most beautiful seeds you can plant in your garden.

The oils from lavender flowers are used to make medicines and many other household remedies.

Lavender repels mosquitoes because mosquitoes dislike the scent of the lavender plant.

The lavender plant is very easy to grow!

To make a chemical-free mosquito solution, just mix lavender essential oil in water and apply directly on your skin.

Plant lavender in pots around seating areas on your patio, backyard and garden to control mosquitoes.

6. Lemon Balm

The lemon balm plant produces beautiful lemon scented leaves.

For an easy homemade repellent, crush lemon balm leaves and then rub them onto your skin. Keep the plants growing near doorways where the leaves will be readily available when you need them.

7. Lemon Grass

Lemon Grass is a tropical plant that produces a thick grass that can even be used for flavoring many culinary dishes. It can also be used to make medicinal tea for the treatment of digestive issues and fever/flu-like symptoms.

The long lemon grass leaves should be collected by snipping them off with scissors anywhere from mid summer on.

Mosquitoes do not care for the fragrance of lemon grass.

Grow these attractive "grasses" near walkways and near seating areas to deter them.

8. Herb Mix

Great multi-purpose variety to grow in your garden that grows well in containers.

9. Marigold, Crackerjack Mix

Crackerjack Marigold flowers are big, bright, bold, and beautiful.

They are most popular for attracting beneficial pollinators such as butterflies, bees, etc.

However, Marigolds are great at fighting off mosquitoes.

"Potted marigolds can be positioned near entrances to your home and any common mosquito entry points, such as open windows. The smell may deter mosquitoes from going past this barrier. While marigolds can be used as border plants around the patio, we do not advise putting marigolds on the patio table since the bright blooms may attract wasps. Besides repelling mosquitoes, marigolds repel insects which prey on tomato plants, so you may want to plant a few marigolds in your tomato bed for added protection." -source: Learn.EarthEasy.com

10. Marigold, Sparky

Finely cut dark green leaves. Flat leaves. Use this parsley for garnishing, and culinary decoration. Tolerates heat better than most varieties.

11. Pennyroyal

"Crushed pennyroyal stems stuck in your hat and pockets really will repel gnats and mosquitoes. Dog owners often see their dogs rolling in pennyroyal patches, and dog instincts can usually be trusted." -source "MotherEarthNews.com"

12. Rosemary

Excellent flavor and extremely fragrant. Perfect to use fresh or dried. Can also be used to flavor many culinary varieties such as meats, soups, and sauces. And even used for treating headaches and known to improve circulation. Perfect for containers.

"A simple repellent spray is made by adding 1 cup dried rosemary to a quart of water, boiling it in a pot for 20 to 30 minutes.

Pour a quart of cool water into another container (that holds at least half a gallon), then strain the rosemary water into the container. Pour small amounts of the blend into squirt bottles to apply directly to skin and outdoor pets.

Store the unused portions in the refrigerator; discard it when it no longer smells strongly of rosemary."

- source: HomeGuides.SFGate.com

13. Sage

Burn a little sage over coals to repel mosquitoes! Works great.

14. Tansy

Tansy (Tanacetum vulgare) is a perennial, herbaceous flowering plant of the aster family, native to temperate Europe and Asia.

Tansy is a strong herb, beautiful & yet suitable for growing around doorways to act as an mosquito deterrent.

15. Wormwood

Wormwood can make a lovely, unique border and the strong odor does a good job of keeping mosquitoes at bay.

Note: Do not rub on skin.

Edited by birdhouse

LOL, my basil, marigolds, rosemary, parsley and cilantro are now just sticks in dirt. Despite giving it my best effort they all died.

Had the fiddos out yesterday, they really seemed to enjoy that sunshine. We had to do a little more building for Cocaba though. He no longer perches and the sight isn't there so he tends to think his flat area goes on forever until he flips off the side so we came up with what we have dubbed, senior living. Took a large cage and framed the inside with 2x4's over the bowl holders and wired the bottom. I went and got 3 sod pieces to cover the wire so he could walk and forage on it. Placed a few branches around and bam, he can't fall off the edge anymore. His time is drawing near, not eating much if anything anymore. Water bowl isn't getting dirty with the shavings so we can only assume he isn't drinking. He way of walking now is with his beak firmly planted in front of him for balance. I spent most of the afternoon crying for him because I just want him to be happy doing what he loves until the end and until we came up with the cage idea, he hasn't been able to be outside. We first let him walk around the bottom of the flights while the big guys were inside but the ants were too much, we tried to put a bottom tray on a stand for him but the edge thing didn't work, he walked right off it. My heart now is happy for him because he back outside where he loves to be! He isn't thrilled with the bars around him since he has not been in a cage for several years but I hope he understands it is the best we can offer him right now.

I got to hold Nati yesterday too, this is the first time since she moved in I held her. I even buried my face under her wing and gave he kisses. I did not get to do this without a warning from her though. Little nip on my nose and a few drops of blood but after that when in tried again I think she said to herself, okay this lady is nuts and isn't going to stop until she is under my wing so I will let her do this and maybe she will get it out of her system.

Oh, I did manage to grow a red pepper. Just one but totally worth it.

https://goo.gl/photos/ysPJ76TFf1YYc3mC6

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, okay. You've convinced me. As a horticulturalist, you're just plain scary. All that latent talent must have gotten dumped into the critter-keeping gene, instead. And I think there are more than a few critter who are (&/or will be) grateful for it!!

Okay, okay! You are not going to believe this... Today, July 19th is Kanes 1 year hatchday! My baby is growing up way to fast. Gotta go make her her birthday birdie bread now so all 25 of us can sing, whistle or scream Happy Birthday to her!

I remember the exact picture when she went from being a beautiful baby to being a beautiful parrot. It was really awesome of you to let us watch her grow up the way you did.

But we are pretty spoiled now. So where's all the birthday party pictures already!!! ")

Of course since I was holding her with the cake, I couldn't take the pictures. That means they are on Pats phone. It takes a bit for him to send them to me so I can upload and share. :-( I have this one though, https://goo.gl/photos/hsxtfsrGYJPv3Mgt7

If anyone is looking for misters for birdie outside time I will now endorse our best find in a long time. Tower Mister by Orbitz. Lowes has this for $49. It is great. We bought 2 so we could get the kids outside until we could make ours, turns out I went and got 2 more and we stamped a done sticker on the project. It is on a tripod and the height is adjustable as are misters so we can swing them around as the wind changes directions. We have one hose bib and the splitter added on to it so we were able to attach the pvc misting system up and still have a place for our hose. Now needing to add 4 more hoses we got a few more double splitters and figured the water pressure would be awful for the misters to do any good but shockingly it wasn't at all. These misters are really great and strong. We didn't even need to put up fans to circulate the air and push the mist. They are also made of a steel-ish product so the birds can actually perch on them if they want and if they chew on them, they won't break like plastic would. Had them out last weekend, late into the afternoon before we gave out from the sun and brought them back in. A few we had to play chase with because they were not ready, lol. Oh, we also tried putting the greys in with the flighted macaws in the one big one, worked just fine. That freed up the second bigger one that we can divide easier to make 2 out of for our "over zealous" guys who don't play well with others. Muneca can not go into her spot until we can put up some toe spacers. She went after the macaws and I really thought she has gotten one of them because when Pat finally got her under control she had red all over her beak. It wasn't until I remembered that she had eaten raspberries and strawberries for breakfast that I stopped freaking out. They say we need to keep one step ahead of these guys, but how? How I ask?? I feel like I get a bit ahead and then they fly to the next perch leaving me in the dust. No way to keep ahead of them!

LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Been a hard week, Cocaba has started to decline. Only eats pistachios now, can not perch at all and walking is a struggle. It is so hard watching a great fellow die. I took him outside Friday and sat with him and cried and cried, not knowing what else I could do for him except show him how loved he is. He has had a great life for being 65+ years old, only had 3 homes and that is something to brag about! Still so hard watching my little buddy try so hard to be okay when you can see he isn't. We try to give him formula but he wants none of it so we made the choice to let him pass on his own as he came into the world.