NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gizmo is afraid of thunder

lockarec

Hi everyone, I have been trying to keep up with learning through reading posts and searching the archives which have been very helpful, but I wasn't able to find an answer to this specific problem. Our lightening rod took a direct hit from a lightening strike yesterday, with the resulting incredibly loud thunder clap. Gizmo was on his day perch with me, and was so startled, that he nearly fell off his perch. I immediately went to him and began using the soothing words that have always helped him calm down. He did calm, but the remaining thunderstorm was obviously very uncomfortable for him. While in his main cage late afternoon and overnight...more thunder throughout this time...he did not eat, and there was no feces on the liner this morning when I uncovered him. He did take care of business while I was calling the vet, so I believe he is okay, (will be watching just to be safe) but we are slated to have thunderstorms all day today and tonight, and already, the distant rumbles are making his eyes wide. Does anyone have ideas as to how best help him through this scary time?

I live in our small town neighborhood so it is always busy around my home for Halloween and especially 4th of July with all the fireworks going off. In Washington State is legal to fly the big ones in the sky because we are a "wet state" I guess. Anyhow. For thunder and fireworks I just make sure the radio is on in the birdroom. They hear music rather than fireworks or thunder. It seems to help my gang. Good luck with finding a solution for Gizmo's discomfort.

luvparrots had an excellent idea! For anything that Sophie or pup are afraid of, you will have the initial reaction of fear. Next time.... I show them how calm I am, and how it means nothing to me. I don't show any stress or anxiety to them, and they eventually aren't afraid. Its because they trust us to keep them safe. My kids love thunder and lightning and want the entire family to be in the garage to watch!Ollie comes, but I say no to having Sophie out there with us. Nancy

Luvparrots, thanks very much, Gizmo is used to the sound of hammers and things like that, as I am a goldsmith, so I am hoping a recording of those sounds during a thunder storm will calm him down, as it is just the regular noise. I would never have thought to do that.

Kins2321, that's what I thought; that if I showed him a calm face and voice, that it would help him in the long term. I see that there are so many ways to mess up a parrot, that when I saw him showing fear with the rumbles, I wanted to get the advice of more experienced parrot people. Your experience is encouraging.

Evalie

When Miss Gilbert came to us she had been living on the gulf coast in Biloxi MS all her life. Her caretaker said she was really wigged out by storms. Considering she has lived through a couple major hurricanes, its no wonder. I think Gizmo's hearing, senses and perception far exceed our own. A lightning strike that close was magnified for him. When Miss Gilbert was here initially she was already so traumatized by life that the extra stress of the storm sent her into a blind panic. I would turn a light on in the living room so lightning flashes were not so much of a contrast. Then I would sleep on the sofa where she could see me. When I heard her panic and flap her wings, I didn't get up. I would just say "You're okay Gilbert" in a soft voice of reassurance. As others have said, being a calm leader about what the thunder means rather than worry over her feelings at the time have changed things. Sometimes I would say "Whoo, big noise!" She only picked up and now says "Gilbert okay" when anything frightens her as if she is talking herself down. I hope Gizmo can figure out his own calming ritual, whatever that may be.

Dorian very clearly looks to me when something frightens him. If I'm calm and tell him it's ok, then every quickly settles back down and ignores the noise. When there was still construction going on around my house and they were landscaping the yards with heavy equipment I told him "big truck, you're ok" so now "big truck" is a shorthand reassurance. As you build a trusting relationship with Gizmo he wil be more likely to look to you for cues.

Katana600, that was a very calming and helpful reply, thanks for taking the time to share your experience with me. I know from my experience with kids and dogs...well, anyone, that being calm when they are stressed, hurting or frightened, can definitely help bring them back to a more calm place.

It's really hard sometimes. We seem to be hard wired to "do something". With Miss Gilbert, I have learned from our members and their greys that sometimes what we "do" is stand tall and wait. You will be a natural at observing Gizmo and helping him grow up strong and brave. Singing softly and not reacting during the rumbles might help too. During my worst of times I listened to a member here singing "just breathe" and it was reassuring to me too.