NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pelvic sexing

BMustee

Yesterday I was talking with the manager at my second job at the pet store and we were talking about these 2 sibling baby B&Gs (5 months-old) and how different they are. One is such a snuggle bunny and loves to be cradled in your arms and touched everywhere. The other does not like to be touched at all except for the rare head scratch. She said that she thought the snuggle bunny was a boy and the other was a girl. I asked her why she thought that and she said because of the way the pelvic bones were spaced. On the snuggler the bones touch and the other has a good quarter inch gap. When I got home I felt my grey's pelvic bone and was very surprised to find a pretty good-sized gap. Now, my question is if this is really a reliable way of sexing a bird. I don't really think it is because why would you go through blood and surgical sexing if all you have to do is feel the pelvis. Has anyone else heard of this?

Also, everyone with a DNA sexed bird...I would love to hear what kind of spacing your grey has and what sex it is.<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2007/11/07 14:48

Someone I met on another board has the same vet as me. She said that when she took her new TAG in for "his" first checkup, the vet said that the bird had a good egg laying pelvis and starting calling the bird a girl, even before the DNA test. Well, the tests came back and...it's a boy! So pelvic bone spacing in not necessarily a good indication of sex.

Checking the pelvic bones should only be carried out by someone with experience & knows what that are doing.You could harm your bird if you are not sure what you are actually feeling for.Some young males have wide pelvic bones which will gradually grow closer. Some young females have narrow pelvic bones which will spread during the process of egg laying.I also read that immature birds have wider pelvic bones.So i would say the only sure way to determine sex is DNA.

Checking the pelvic bone is not a reliable way of sexing, ESPECIALLY with Greys because of the fact that they can come in such varying sizes. This is usually more accurate in smaller birds such as lovebirds as they don't vary in size nearly as much as Greys do. I haven't check the pelvic spacing on either of my girls, as I like my fingers attached to my hands, BUT I can tell you that my 3 year old has a good 75 grams on my 13 year old CAG, and they have very different shaped bodies, so I definitely wouldn't take this with more than a grain of salt!

I didn't think that this was in any way a good indication of sex, to tell you the truth I had never heard of it before my manager said something about it and was just wondering if anyone else had heard of it too and what the gaps were on other birds that had a DNA test done.

As for hurting the bird I just gently ran my finger over it and could feel the spacing...I'm not jamming my index finger between the bone. Although I do see your point...if you don't know where the pelvic bone is don't be poking your bird in the butt to find out.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When I felt my grey he gave me this look like "What in Gods green earth are you doing?!?!":blink:<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2007/11/08 15:25