NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Changing diet

ClayRP

Tank was on the typical pet store all seed diet when I purchased him. I have slowly been weaning him off of this. He is now on a Oatmeal in the morning, Fresh veggies, peas, green beans, carrots, broccoli, and a couple other healthy foods for him, then at night he is getting a mix of veggies and seeds.

I have been trying to move him to pellets and leave a cup full for him while I am away at work but he doesn't seem to be eating them at all. On average how long did it take your grey to take to eating the pellets? What technique did you use to get them to eat the pellets?

Also I'm not sure if its the change in diet over the last week and a half, but I noticed yesterday that his droppings where kind of runny and then this morning they were fine now tonight they are very watery. He seems fine, his mood is the same as always perching the same, no loss of balance no extra vocalizing pr sleeping so I'm not sure if its just the change in diet or he may be getting sick.

I plan on trying to get him in to his vet tomorrow but that is tough as he only works half days on Wednesdays. I'm hoping that it is just the change in his diet, as I have been trying/adding a new vegetable everyday seeing what he does and doesn't like.

Hi Clay, have you been monitoring his weight while trying to switch him? It critical that you do.

Converting some Parrots to pellets is very difficult sometimes from all that I have read and heard. Some will slowly and defiantly convert, some never will.

You should ask your vet some any helpful tips he may have also. If you get any good tips, please share them with us. I would like for Dayo to eat more pellets than he does also.

I have been monitoring his weight and he has lost a little about 2 - 3% not a big cut back but he has stabilized now and is sitting about 460g right now. He did take some pellets last night with some juice over them. He wont eat them dry though if they are mixed in with a seed or his morning oatmeal he picks them out and flings them.