NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

2 African Greys

Ascastlat

Hi! I have a male african grey and I plan to get another male gey. But I'm wondering if they tend to be too loud if there is another one? Do they get along or do they fight? Is there any behavioral problems I should worry about? Does anybody have experience having 2 greys? Please let me know. Thank you

Also, just wondering does anybody out there have a rose breasted cockatoo? Do they tend to be really loud and nippy when they are young and will they grow out of it as they grow up?

To start any Cockatoo is loud, lol. I have 3 U-Toos. Yes, nips will happen especially when in season, when young they are testing things by nipping. Testing for stability, safety and if it is sturdy to step on or will they fall off it. They do a lot with their beaks so dang near everything goes in them first. Real bites will happen and you will know the difference. Ages of our run from 6 - 25 years old.

I have 3 greys also and they do not play well together. They tolerate each other for the most part so if you are getting a second grey to keep your first one company chances are you are just adding to your work list because now you will have 2 instead of one who will each be needing your one on one time. 2 cages, 2 stands and still only one of you. :-)

They are not loud and will learn things from each other in time. I use to know my guys apart from a different room when they whistled but not anymore, the separate calls each of them had, they now all have and I can not tell one from the other unless I am in the same room with them.

I have a 6 year old TAG, Ana Grey, and a 3 year old CAG, Sterling Gris. I have had both since they were weaned. They do not interact or "play". Do not get another grey for your present grey get it for yourself not as a companion for a current grey.

Edited by luvparrots

I personally wouldn't get two greys. There are LOTS of other birds greys can get along with, even though that is alot of work also. Our mix, an Amazon, Sunconure and Grey. I found the Grey Amazon combo very interesting. They brought the " best" out of each other, but both were very young and that is important. A Grey in my belief, wants to rule, and they usually do. Many DO have two Greys, and it works for them.

Do your homework and research, realize if you want two greys, its going to be much more work. If you are comitted.. anything is possible. Nancy

We had a pair of babies, raised together from the time they were pulled from their nests. The male, Marden, died this past January. Megan stopped playing, and did not want to go in the playroom. We adopted a wild-caught male, around 20 years her senior. He's not a typical 'pet' bird, he's super smart and prefers to teach me as opposed to me teaching him. I liken them to bratty siblings. He's mellowed, and they get along now, but at first his main goal was to see if he could poop on her (and on me). He'd climb onto the net in the playroom and try to bomb us from above. He kind of lost interest once he'd 'won' that game. There has to be a big element of trust for birds to play together. Will he and Megan ever get to that point? I don't know. A wild Amazon has stolen her heart and is seriously courting her. Peck seems to prefer my company to anyone else's anyway.

I personally like to see birds have others of their own kind. Not necessarily the same species, but another peer that is close to their same size (though the friends they choose for themselves don't always follow this rule). Everyone here has *someone* (feathered) except Peck and Ariel, and he does get playroom time with Megan. Ariel has only come out of her cage once. She's a Fischer's lovebird and the most shy, timid bird I have ever known, but with lots of patience she is finally coming around. I think there is a type of companionship they can get from another bird that we cannot give them. After all, I cannot fly with them. I cannot properly preen them. I can't 'beak' with them. I see their bonds, and admit I am a little jealous at times, but it's good for them.

If you decide to get another bird go into it knowing they may not like each other at all. If that happens, each bird would have to have their separate out-of-cage time, and separate time with you. If they really don't like each other you would have to make sure they don't injure each other by getting on each other's cage and attacking the trespasser from the inside. You run the risk of more than doubling your work while not improving the life of your current fid at all. Lots of people here have more than one fid. Some become friends, some tolerate each other, and some are aggressive. It's a 'Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst' scenario.

We can only encourage the relationship, provide them with times of interaction, and always be present during those interactions! Who knew... that a " homicidal" sunconure, out of forever home in fostercare.... would fall in love with my son at age nine at daycare, all because Ryan offered Sunny a bite of icecream! So we adopted... then got Kiki for Sean our Amazon, a baby. Sunny the sunconure was in love within 24 hours. Birds determine their relationships with other birds. We encourage them, but it is beyound our control. Now that we have lost Kiki, Sophie will snuggle with Sunny as he really loves a snuggle. It is a milestone on both parts. Nancy

We can only encourage the relationship, provide them with times of interaction, and always be present during those interactions! Who knew... that a " homicidal" sunconure, out of forever home in fostercare.... would fall in love with my son at age nine at daycare, all because Ryan offered Sunny a bite of icecream! So we adopted... then got Kiki for Sean our Amazon, a baby. Sunny the sunconure was in love within 24 hours. Birds determine their relationships with other birds. We encourage them, but it is beyound our control. Now that we have lost Kiki, Sophie will snuggle with Sunny as he really loves a snuggle. It is a milestone on both parts. Nancy

I agree! Who would have thought our most bonded pairs would be a sun conure and a cockatiel (both boys) and an amazon and a grey? They truly do choose who they love.