NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Some Ideas on Keeping claws trim

legendovamind2

A quick question. Mac really does not like having his claws trimmed, and I must admit I am not comfortable doing them. Is there a reccomended style of perch that can accomplish the same thing? I am reluctant to try the sand paper type covers as I don`t like the thought of him chewing on them. Thanks all Adreeanna

roosting perch. If you still have to file nails you have wasted your money. I use pollys pastels for every one of my 90 odd birds and have had not beak scraping or any other problems with them. I never have to file nails either. To be constantly scraping a beak on the perch, to the point that it actually wears the beak, would indicate that something is seriously amiss and some sort of irritation in or around the beak is going on. I suggest you hold your dremel against your own nail and feel how hot and unpleasant it feels.

Lorraine: I am aware that is what their advert says...

Oldmolly: Lorraine: Not having 90 birds, an OCCASIONAL filing is no problem for me...

Oldmolly: potential irritation or infection or allergy or whatever and hence the vet visit. There was NO problem in or around the beak, except for showing a very slightly thinner spot on both sides. Since I reinstalled the Polly perch as the second highest ( after his `soft` perch) he uses it less, but still enough to maintain his nails MOST of the time while not placing his beak in jeopardy. As far as I am concerned, all is OK.

Oldmolly: My husband also occasionally uses it on his own nails while doing the dog LOL! The heat generated depends on: the speed of rotation, the choice of attachment used, the pressure and duration of use, and MOSTLY on the operator`s skill. That is why I do not want to use it myself on ECHO: lack of skill/experience.

Thank you for your comments. Always very valid and well appreciated. Lorraine