NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flying or not flying

Hello all-Maggie has been "flying" from her tree stand a good distance over the couch to the floor below. Is this considered flying? She was clipped from the breeder before I brought her home but she seems to fly off the stand when I put her up there. She does not actually stay in the air long but from about 10ft to floor and approx 3ft distance. I know there are so many POV's on clipping or not clipping. When is the right time for clipping?

Thanks in advance

Hi Lori. You are right when you say there are many POVs on clipping. You will find several threads here on the subject if you do an advanced search. In a nut shell, clipping may offer security from accidents in the home and some believe it helps the grey rely and depend on the owner more. However, in general you will find that the majority on this forum (80% based on an informal survey) do not clip their birds. I hope you will get numerous opinions to help with your decision.

I am opposed to clipping for the following reasons, but I hope others with different views will post as well.

1. Birds fly. Flying is part of essential "birdness". It seems unnatural to deny or limit this fundamental intrinsic aspect of their nature.

2. Flying builds confidence. Barbara Heidenreich ,the well respected parrot expert, wrote that this is especially true with African Greys. If Greys fly they know that when they feel threatened or uncomfortable, they can choose to fly away from the source of stress. It gives them a sense of self efficacy and control over their lives. This in turn limits phobic or fearful behavior and allows greys to socialize and explore their worlds more readily.

3. If a parrot escapes, flying skills will increase their chance of survival. Clipped parrots are much more likely to fall victim to predators.

4. Hazards in the home can be limited by proactive owners who are vigilant about creating and maintaining a parrot safe home. No situation is 100% safe, but we have the ability to create an environment where accidents can be prevented.

5. Although some Greys may be more compliant and "obedient" when clipped, this is only because they don't have any choice. They are dependent on the owner.

6. Flighted parrots tend to fly more. Flying builds muscle, stamina, and lung capacity. It is also a heck of a lot of fun for them! My grey loves to visit my parents house because they have huge rooms with high ceilings and she can zoom zoom zoom all over. She squeals with delight and her joy is tangible. I love to see it. I would feel a loss if she couldn't do that.

Now, if you do choose to clip, just be very sure that the job is done by an experienced trimmer. A bad wing clip can have devastating results on the well being of your grey. With a good clip, you bird should maintain some flight skills and will most likely be happy and well adjusted.

I suppose my question for you is why do you wish to clip your parrot? What benefits are you seeking? How will that decision improve the life of your grey?

Again, I don't judge anyone who chooses to responsibly trim their birds. There are many respected members here who have made that choice and have happy, healthy, joyful, well adjusted greys. But I do encourage you to think about it and get as much information as you can before making that decision.

Best Wishes

Jeff

Edited by JeffNOK

Jeff. Thank you for your honest response. I really appreciate it. My goal is to allow Maggie to grow into a secure loving bird. I would love to allow her to fly. I also have the open floor plan home with 20 ft ceilings so I am sure she will have as much fun as your girl. I guess I have a lot of homework to do as her wings grow out. I will be posting more questions and reading more on this subject. Thanks again.

• Haha 1

I have four flighted parrots: 6 year old female TAG; 3 year old male CAG; 6 year old male Blue Front ZON; and 33 year old male Blue Front ZON. Each comes out of its cage about every other day at the same time. They do not fight but they do not "play" with each other either. The are very respectful for the other's space. I can get each back to to its cage by just putting the bird in or in the case of my one zon that I can't touch by just pointing and showing him what I want. The TAG and the 6 year old ZON came to me lightly clipped and have never been clipped by me. The 33 year old was not clipped but his prior owner of 33 years did not let him out of his cage very often so we are working on learning to fly. My parrots fly through their birdroom, the kitchen and living room. They are not allowed in my office, bathrooms or bedroom. I have always let my birds know what I expect from them and they understand where they are allowed and what is expected of them.

I find that my parrots want to be part of the flock and if I let them know what is expected of them, they will oblige.

Lori.... I suggest letting your baby learn how to fly, and yes, baby is on his way! Let baby develop chest muscles. It took Sophie a decade to learn how to fly, since she was clipped until the age of two when we got her. I am supportive of a " trim", when in the terrible two's. I did this with Kiki our Amazon. She could still fly two rooms away. It is as important in my opinion, to have a groomer that I have, that deals with grooming issues and diet, as well as having a GREAT vet. I couldn't ask for anything more. My grey is awesome, but it was thru lots of support and education!

Before my vet became famous for dealing with exotic animals, I set up an appointment for " well visit", but moved it up when I first got Sophie. She started coughing and sneezing immediately when I got her! He saw her, and she stepped up immediately! He laughed and asked me, " Is anyone sick at home?" Well yes....He loved Sophie. Nancy

Nancy. Thanks. I do have a local Avian vet. I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject and have decided to let Maggie fly. She seems to be wanting and so there you have it. She decided for me. Thanks again for everyone's opinion and for the vast amount of knowledge you all have. Lori