NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Maggie---WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER AS FLYING?

Hello all-Maggie has been "flying" from her tree stand a good distance over the couch to the floor below. Is this considered flying? She was clipped from the breeder before I brought her home but she seems to fly off the stand when I put her up there. She does not actually stay in the air long but from about 10ft to floor and approx 3ft distance. I know there are so many POV's on clipping or not clipping. When is the right time?

Thanks in advance

• Haha 1

Hello all-Maggie has been "flying" from her tree stand a good distance over the couch to the floor below. Is this considered flying? She was clipped from the breeder before I brought her home but she seems to fly off the stand when I put her up there. She does not actually stay in the air long but from about 10ft to floor and approx 3ft distance. I know there are so many POV's on clipping or not clipping. When is the right time?

Thanks in advance

A suggestion---- In order for many specific questions that you and others want answers to' date=' it would be a good idea to use the various rooms for different subjects. Many more people will see those questions and give answers or suggestions. This section is a welcome and intro room. Specific rooms will benefit you and others in order to get used to using those other rooms.

Correct me but If I understand you, your bird flies d[u']ownward [/u]approximately 10ft but only flies forward 3ft ? First, does the bird like that flight plan or is that the only thing she can accomplish? If that's the only thing she's capable of doing, then your bird has been clipped incorrectly.

A proper clip allows a bird to lift itself up,fly forward --from the ground, from a table, from the top of the cage etc for a distance of approx. 8ft before gliding downward. The severity of the clip changes those distances. Clipping is basically done so that the bird has very little ability to fly vertically but still fly horozonally very well. If the properly clipped bird is outside, it'll still fly much further but not with much elevation. In that situation a bird is an easy target for predatory birds and outside land animals that eat meat.

***When is the right time?**** --------------------To clip the bird????

Edited by Dave007

Dave- thank you. I will post my question in the nursery but here are some answers in the mean time. Thanks.

I measured tonight when she flew from the tree again. She actually flew from 8 ft high on her tree about 20 ft forward. She usually jump flies from table to my chest or shoulder but I am usually within a few inches from her.

For clarification---in your opinion ....When is the right time for clipping? Or should I just let her wings grow out completely and let her fly?

Dave- thank you. I will post my question in the nursery but here are some answers in the mean time. Thanks.

I measured tonight when she flew from the tree again. She actually flew from 8 ft high on her tree about 20 ft forward. She usually jump flies from table to my chest or shoulder but I am usually within a few inches from her.

For clarification---in your opinion ....When is the right time for clipping? Or should I just let her wings grow out completely and let her fly?

Well' date=' you may be asking the wrong person---maybe others will add to this thread.

As far as clipping, [b']I'm totally against clipping any bird's wings.[/b] They were given wings for a reason and in my opinion one of the most important things to learn about is how to deal with a bird in the house when the bird has wings. It takes some time but in my opinion the bird will not need to depend on a person if they have wings. AND, they shouldn't have to depend on people where manuerving is involved. To me, it's just another part of learning to live with a bird with what nature has given them. In the health room there's 4 lengthy posts concerning an unclipped bird and a clipped bird. I wrote them and I made sure that everyone knew I wasn't siding with either. I put the word *neutral* in those posts. It would be wise to read up about clipping and not clipping.

What you stated today concerning what your bird can actually do is different than what you originally said. So, I'd say that the clipping was done properly. BUT it's up to you about reclipping. This answer is simply my opinion which totally leans towards not clipping.

I can tell you that people have kept their bird clipped and haven't had any problems. I can also say that many people have not clipped wings or have let them grow back in and are extremely glad that they went that route. Again, these are just my personal feelings.

All 9 of mine are fully flighted. 2 are unable to fly but the others fly enough for them, lol. Picture 3 greys, one amazon and three cocatoos all flying at the same time. Makes you appreciate only having one or two flying through the house. But i wouldn't have it any other way!

Dave. I am definitely leaning towards not clipping and I am on the road to educating myself and family about flighted birds. I thank you for your time, knowledge, and opinion. It is very much appreciated. :)

• Haha 1

Our birds are all flighted even when they cam to us never having had the chance to do so weather due to clipping or cage bound life. Now why are you considering clipping? If for safety - it will not prevent loss due to escape flight. If for taming - I think it is a breach of trust rather than a way to build trust. If for limiting your birds access - then that won't work, they can walk climb and find a way around most any obstruction.

Thanks. I have been doing a lot of reading on this subject and have decided to let Maggie fly. She seems to be wanting that and so there you have it. She decided for me. Thanks again for everyone's opinion and for the vast amount of knowledge you all have. Lori

I am glad to hear that you are going to give free flying a chance. I, too, have free flying birds. The one thing I found that I can not live without is the command to go back to their cages. It has been a life saver for me. I am not one to make my birds do what I tell them - just ask my daughter how spoiled she thinks they are! LOL But, I did insist that they learned that when I said "Peanut, cage" and "Skittles, cage" that they were to go to their respective cages. And then the command is "IN" and they both go in and then they get a nice size piece of almond. Now, do they do it every time I say it? Well, no, but I dare say it is about 97% of the time. I could not live with a free flying bird if I had to chase it to get it into the cage at night, or for an emergency.