NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Felony is eating a LOT!

Loco11

Hi all! I have a question...is it necessary to monitor how much birds eat? Felony was born May 1st and she weighs 402 grams. She seems to be eating a lot! I made my own food for her with beans, whole grain rice, chopped kale and carrots, quinoa, buckwheat and lots of different seeds, nuts and some dried cranberrie

s and a little red palm oil. I froze it in snack size baggies...thinking one Baggie would last two days. She eats it one. She also gets a few nutriberries and a palmful of pellets...she always eats the nutriberries but just nibbles on the pellets. That's about three times what Oprah (my other bird that we recently lost)would have been able to eat. Now Oprah was a Timneh..so she was smaller, plus she was 14... But it still seems like Felony is eating an awful lot. Maybe because she's still young and growing? I just don't want to overdo it!

Hi all! I have a question...is it necessary to monitor how much birds eat? Felony was born May 1st and she weighs 402 grams. She seems to be eating a lot! I made my own food for her with beans, whole grain rice, chopped kale and carrots, quinoa, buckwheat and lots of different seeds, nuts and some dried cranberrie

s and a little red palm oil. I froze it in snack size baggies...thinking one Baggie would last two days. She eats it one. She also gets a few nutriberries and a palmful of pellets...she always eats the nutriberries but just nibbles on the pellets. That's about three times what Oprah (my other bird that we recently lost)would have been able to eat. Now Oprah was a Timneh..so she was smaller, plus she was 14... But it still seems like Felony is eating an awful lot. Maybe because she's still young and growing? I just don't want to overdo it!

Rarely does a grey increase weight by eating. Greys can never eat too much. Your bird is small boned as far as weight. The larger the bone frame, the higher the weight. You should give your bird all it can eat and also have dry food there so that he can eat all day long. A CAG or TAG who eats a lot is a healthy bird as long as what 's being fed isn't junk food that has a lot of sugar. The same applies to TAGs. The only time you should worry is when a grey loses lots of weight. Then a vet visit is needed. A grey isn't like an amazon. Amazons can easily gain weight due to a lack of activity especially DLHs.