NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

"Terrible Twos" to Sexual Maturity and Beyond.

JeffNOK

I have a few questions about what is in store for Gracie and I in the next few years ahead. Gracie definitely went through a terrible twos phase where she was nippy, stubborn, cage territorial, and willful. Now she is three, and although she went through a brief feather picking stage about 6 weeks ago (now fully recovered thanks to aloe baths and sunshine) has emerged as a nearly perfect little fid. I know that she is still growing and maturing, but changes are still in the works--especially hormones which will affect her more and more in the next couple of years. Much is said in the forum about the terrible twos, but less about the what happens as sexual maturity approaches. I just would like some input from grey parronts who have weathered this stage of life. Do females and males have significant differences? I have a female, so very interested in that. Are there big noticeable changes from 3-5? Tips on coping? Advice in general? I am so happy with how things are now, but I want to be prepared and proactive for the next stage.

I too am interested in this question because I have a 3 year old male CAG, Sterling Gris; and a 6 year old female TAG, Ana Grey, both of which i have had since they were about 4/5 months old. Either is aggressive personally or with their cages. Ana Grey at 6 years old is also not sexually aggressive at all. Only time will tell if these condition appears so being prepared will be helpful.

*Terrible 2s* is an overstated, overused, and partially a myth. Some people use the cute term and it spreads throughout the grey forums (and other bird forums) like wildfire.

At 2 to 3 years old, females go into a hormonal stage and lots of nature's intentions kick in. Most people see those changes, don't know what to do and change things they would normally do with and to the grey. So the female acts out aggressively and all of a sudden the #terrible 2s* is invented.

Well, as a female grey gets older, those hormonal changes that happen once or twice a year become pretty easy for a person to handle. The female becomes quiet, becomes less active, wants to be left alone, wants to relax. PLUS, BODY LANGUAGE IS VERY OBVIOUS. A female won't do anything drastic unless nesting material of ANY type is easy to get to. A person only has to know when hormonal changes are happening and they're easy to spot.

Notice that I keep referring to *female*. At the 1,2,3 yrs of age, they're simply getting more and more courage to explore, cause some damage to things, get nippy and get stubborn. If they're around a female in season, he will react to her and usually will get bitten by the female. In adolescence, females can't breed but they can get horny and at that age, has little tolerance for people who are constantly in her face. Males can't breed either.

Thanks Dave. At what age are the females first capable of egg production?

5 to 6 yrs old. Usually, the first clutch is unsuccessful because the male and female just haven't got the touch yet. The older the breeders get, the better the success is BUT, don't think about breeding your bird. Usually pet greys make the worst breeders and the owners lose the bonding that's been built up.

Not a thought at all about breeding her. I'll leave that to the reputable experts. Jst wondering at what point in life to keep a closer eye, in case on a fluke her body decides to produce an egg. :) Don't need to sit around watching paint dry for another 2-3 years if not necessary -- :D Thanks, Dave.

Thanks Dave. I am glad to know that changes in the years ahead don't appear to be too dramatic based on what you shared. As I mentioned, when Gracie turned two, I did see some changes that have seemed to come into balance, but worried I might encounter something else in the next few years. As things stand now, I couldn't be happier. I know there may be some moodiness during certain seasons as she matures, but it looks like it will be manageable as long as I give her space and choices.