NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Can a bird have hiccups?

murfchck

I have noticed one of my girls doing what can only be described as a hiccup. Just off and on yesterday. It is sad but when I hear someone with them I giggle, it is automatic with me and when Koko did it, I just started to giggle. Now I wonder if they even do. If it is more than that I need to get her in but don't want to be silly and rush her to the vet for a simple case of hiccups. They didn't last too long but it happened two different times.

Thanks!

I have noticed one of my girls doing what can only be described as a hiccup. Just off and on yesterday. It is sad but when I hear someone with them I giggle, it is automatic with me and when Koko did it, I just started to giggle. Now I wonder if they even do. If it is more than that I need to get her in but don't want to be silly and rush her to the vet for a simple case of hiccups. They didn't last too long but it happened two different times.

Thanks!

Birds aren't not capable of hiccupping because they don't have a diaphragm or vocal cords. To hiccup, the diaphragm contacts repeatedly, snapping the vocal cords shut, which stops airflow and makes the hiccup sound. Since birds have neither a diaphragm nor vocal cords, both of which are involved in hiccups, they are not capable. Some birds can be excellent mimics, especially greys and especially sounds, and they may repeat a hiccup heard from a human in the household. You may not be hearing hiccups. I think I know what you're hearing but it's not a hiccup.

My wife and I do not smoke, but we have a friend that is heavy smoker, 3 packs a day and has the cough to go with it.

Corky has picked up this cough and has added to it. Another friend was over and Corky started to hack away. Our friend said you better get her to the vet.

By this time Corky stopped the cough and cleared her throat like a sailor, and I said, nope she is better now.

Edited by Ray P

This isn't a hiccup noise, just the motion, like a hiccup. I am sorry i have no other way to describe it. Her chest kinda jumps like she inhaled deep quickly.

I have 3 that cough, funny when they do it at the same time because each is different. They came to us coughing.