NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Any 'Outlander' fans here?

Acappella

My personal scale for how good a show is, is how fast it goes by. That episode came to an abrupt halt aft about 20 min according to my sensibilities.

Fantasy usually requires a certain element of suspended disbelief to work well. Not Outlander. I am always blown away by how intensely real it is. The depth of emotion & dimension to the characters are fascinating to me all by themselves, aside from the actual story. The opening of that episode was to me like the 1700's (?) version of the beginning of Saving Private Ryan & it was all created w/insane cinematography & acting, & w/the minimal possible dialogue compared to the scope of what was going on. Nope, it did not disappoint in any way other than length. jmho

The sad thing is because I've like the series so well, I've put off reading the books. Often the original books ruin the screen version for me & I don't want that to happen here. I'm beginning to think they're going to stay tucked away in my Kindle library until the series is over & I'm left pining for more.

Edited by birdhouse

I don't think reading the books would ruin anything for you, unless you are a person who doesn't enjoy knowing what's going to happen a head of time. It's true for the TV series they've moved around the order of some events for better flow, and have expanded the Frank storylines, which get little coverage in the books (mostly the Frank stuff is told in past tense by Claire in the books). The tv series has followed the books really well for the most part. They've done a really good job of hitting all the major points from the books. I'd go ahead a give the first book a go, now that the first season is a couple of years old, and see how you feel. After all, if the series runs the course of the books you could be putting off reading the books by at least 7 years. That's a lot of time to carry the books around, even in Kindle form.

I'm right there with you in feeling the shows go by too fast, even with all the damned commercials (which are getting on my last nerve. I record and then play back the show so that I can FFW through all the commercials). I loved the way they did the battle between Black Jack Randall and Jamie without words, just action. They were so far beyond words by that point imho. I'm so glad to have found another fan to obsess over this show with. It's just so well done.

On second thought, I may have misspoke. The battle between Black Jack Randall and Jamie was a disappointment for me, too. As much as I respected the way it was done, & I did, don't get me wrong. But I would have liked them to have wallowed just a bit more after everything. Spiteful, I know, but... }:->

• 2 months later...