NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Tears of a Rescuer

Muse

I wrote this on Marden's Ark timeline on Facebook the other day, mainly to encourage a fellow rescuer who was overwhelmed and showing signs of burnout. I got a few compliments on it so I thought I'd share it here:

Tears of a Rescuer

When your tender heart leads you down this road of suffering and heartbreak, it is kindness and love that pushes you onward. As you move forward and experience the moments of sadness, sickness and even cruelty and malice, it is a righteous spirit of resolve and determination that spurs you to action. As you get to the point where you realize you are standing at the base of a giant mountain of suffering, neglect, abuse and careless disregard, it is fear that tries to take hold. The shadow of the mountain is dark and you feel overwhelmed. That is often when the tears come forth. But remember that as tiny drops of rain can, in time and together with many other drops, wash that mountain into the sea, so shall your tears erode the mountain before you. For as you cry, the tender heart finds its inner strength. Remember that you are not alone, and others share your passion. Remember that the strength lies in numbers and in the power of our love that shines across the bleak milleau like the light of a thousand suns. Maybe we can't win every single battle. Maybe we have to sometimes take a step backwards. But when we focus on the sweet moments of victory - the lives saved and the pain erased - we know we can go on to do this yet another day with renewed strength and hope that somehow our efforts WILL make a difference in this world.

I'm no superhero. I can't save the world. But I surely can make the little part of it that surrounds me that much better for my having been there.