NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is it safe?

Doronxl7

Hey guys, Annie is 6 months old Congo african grey.

I heard that I can't give her newspaper and plastic straws / roll of toilet paper to chew.

I tried to give her and I am pretty sure that she actually swollen and eat them.. I barely can see that she drop the pieces... Also she eat the whole sunflower kernels with the shell..

Should I keep give her those things? Or not.. I am affrid that she choke :/

Hey guys, Annie is 6 months old Congo african grey.

I heard that I can't give her newspaper and plastic straws / roll of toilet paper to chew.

I tried to give her and I am pretty sure that she actually swollen and eat them.. I barely can see that she drop the pieces... Also she eat the whole sunflower kernels with the shell..

Should I keep give her those things? Or not.. I am affrid that she choke :/

As far as newspaper, millions of people give their birds newspaper to play with and chew on. It's even used as cage flooring. Just stay away from newspaper hat has colored ink in it. That's supposed to have been corrected but who knows. Black and white is definitely safe. Birds don't eat newspaper, wood, plastic straws. Birds usually shred these things until they're practicallt invisible. The only thing you may wanna think about is the sharp edges of the straw. Usually there's no problem but why take a chance. There

s nothing wrong with eating the whole shell of a sunflower seed. The bird will chew that up too. Birds that eat chickens bones chew on them until they look like dst on the bottom of the cage.

As far as toilet paper, some people even use the rolls to make toys of them. They usually get shredded up too. Just make sure you don't use the heavily perfumed ones. The same to rolls of kitchen paper towels. People constantly use those things so the bird stops concentrating on other things. Birds usually like all those rolls of cardboard to play with and chew on. They're all safe.

Edited by Dave007

I let them have paper towel rolls and also cut the cardboard egg carton each week in 1/2. They love the egg cartons, only last a day. They only get one once a week and its like a treat to them.

I used to fill ours with shredded paper (now I save and give them back to the 'egg lady') and hide treats in them for our birds. They loved chewing through the cardboard egg carton to find the treats.