NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrots are NOT Pets!

Talon

I have seen this and it makes me ill.

If people only took the time to one, If you are going to have a parrot make a commitment, to know, to understand and to love this awesome creature of God that is capable of so much more than we are.

To see them for what and who they are, to love them for what and who they are and to except them for what and who they are, you will than understand what and who they are.

My wife and I have had parrot species in our home for over 43 years and we both were around parrots species in our childhood homes and we both love and respect them for what and who they are.

We put them in a cage so it`s up to us to take responsibility.

I think there's a lot of people who don't do their homework beforehand & they make me nuts. But I think many people just don't get that all birds aren't "canaries" until they're living w/these amazing creatures. Parronting really isn't for everyone & I always feel sorry for everybody involved when things go horribly wrong. So like Janet said, best to try keeping these types of articles as visible as possible. So I'm glad you posted this thread, Penny.

Edited by birdhouse

This is a great thread to direct the new, "Should I get a grey," people to. I give a link to Parrot Confidential to everyone who knows me that indicates to me that they want to have a parrot, too. All of my birds have been either rescued (my wild caught 'zon and CAG that lived with me from the 1970s through the 90s) or rehomed (my beloved Inara). Knowing that less that 30 miles up the road from me are nearly 800 exotic birds either awaiting homes or unable to be rehomed, at the Gabriel Foundation, just breaks my heart. Not to mention the number on Craigs List every week.

While I am a believer in assisting our companions to live with us through behavior shaping (ours and theirs), I am also a strong, strong advocate for unconditional positive acceptance of our feathered companions as birds, period. If a companion enjoys more structured interaction and it amuses them and strengthens our bonds in our lives together, wonderful. If they don't, then that should be respected. Always.

Thanks for sharing this Talon. I quote the article "For me, the sight of a parrot living alone, living in a cage, deprived of flight, miserably bored, breaks my heart. And the parrot’s too, perhaps."

Sounds more like Prison to me and I have no doubt it is to that Parrot living miserably in it.