NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Airline travel pack

lois levin

Has anyone used the Pack-o-Bird in cabin travel bird carrier? Jet Blue has a height limit of 8" (the carrier must fit under the seat). The Grey Forum has a detailed and very favorable review (2009) of the back pack version of this carrier, but that model is too tall to fit under the seat. The travel version is much more expensive than the backpack. I wonder if the backpack version can be temporarily reconfigured/ redesigned to work for occasional airline travel. Our grey travels on weekends in a crystal flight cage, a rigid acrylic box; the Crystal Flight travel model is confining and has other limitations making it less than ideal for airport travel.

I have the Pack-o-bird backpack and Brutus shreds it since it is made of fabric. I also have the Adventure Pack Parrot Travel Bird Cage and I like that better. It is a rigid wire cage in a zip-up back pack. I believe they have discontinued making them. Because none of the fabric is in the inside of the cage he cannot destroy it. I like that it is more rigid and I feel he is safer from accidental forces that could collapse the Pack-o-bird. It also allows more light in too. But, to be clear, these two carriers do NOT fit under the seat. I used to fly for Delta and planes vary in the height under the seat, some newer planes have hardly any room at all. Delta only allows one animal per cabin or class so you must make a reservation in advance.

Edited by chezron

This is a great thread. I will have to think about flying with Miss Gilbert instead of the long drives. Her travel cage fold flat and would fit in a checked bag. The time under the seat would be only for takeoff and landing. It makes me wonder if we paid for an extra seat if she could be strapped into the seat in her bigger backpack.