NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parasite

alex2014

When Alex pooped this morning I noticed 3 what appear to be worms about 1/2" long. I called the vet first thing and they asked me to drop off a sample. They said they have to send it out to the lab. I'm concerned because I know it will be at least Monday before they get results. The vet said he was fine as far as health when he checked him out and don't worry because the best course it to find out exactly what it is before treating. I'm really worried. has anyone dealt with worms before?

I guess my other concern is where he could have possibly gotten the parasite, I have not changed his diet, pellets, fresh veggies, potatoes and some fruit like grapes. The only thing new to their diet is some red and green bell peppers that i just added this week. I wash everything before feeding. So far Rocco seems to be ok and they eat the same things.

When Alex pooped this morning I noticed 3 what appear to be worms about 1/2" long. I called the vet first thing and they asked me to drop off a sample. They said they have to send it out to the lab. I'm concerned because I know it will be at least Monday before they get results. The vet said he was fine as far as health when he checked him out and don't worry because the best course it to find out exactly what it is before treating. I'm really worried. has anyone dealt with worms before?

I guess my other concern is where he could have possibly gotten the parasite, I have not changed his diet, pellets, fresh veggies, potatoes and some fruit like grapes. The only thing new to their diet is some red and green bell peppers that i just added this week. I wash everything before feeding. So far Rocco seems to be ok and they eat the same things.

What color were the worms and did you see them moving around?

They were very dark in color, black or green. None of them were moving. I can't say for 100% that they were worms. But it's the first time i saw such things in his poop.

More than likely they were dark green and it wasn't worms you're talking about---what you saw was fecal matter which can come out in different colors depending on the food type and it's color or a combination of both. Fecal matter can be red, beige, green, light green, dark green, brown etc etc

Most of the time the fecal matter is solid and looks like a worm.

Thanks for relieving some of my anxiety, hopefully that's all it is and i'll know in the future. The lab will have results Monday morning. I figured it was better to know for sure. Hopefully it will be just a lesson learned as I go forward into this new world of grey ownership

Got the all clear from the vet yesterday, no parasites and what looked like worms were not. Was worth finding out and now i know a lot more about analyzing the fecal matter. What caused me concern was that this was the first time I ever saw any strands in his poop.

Thanks everyone for the feedback