NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gracie Feather Picking

JeffNOK

Out of the blue after 3 years of never so much as over preening, Gracie started to pull out some of her belly feathers (about a 2 inch X 2 inch area). At first it just looked a little ragged, but after three days I could tell she was feather picking. It looked a lot the like the pictures posted by ElvenKing of Isaac back in January. I immediately took Gracie to the avian vet and had blood work done. Everything was normal. Gracie is very healthy aside from the feather issue. I started to take stock of lifestyle/environmental changes.

1. I have been coming home one hour later than usual the last 6 weeks because I teach an extra class. (this ends today--back to normal schedule)

2. Gracie is molting. (Vet verified this and pointed out numerous pin feathers coming in on her tummy where she was picking)

3. I had not been bathing Gracie very frequently. (once every 10 days or so)

4. Gracie's Avian lamp quit working two months ago. I didn't replace it. She also had not been outside in the sun for a couple of months.

Changes Made:

1. I am now misting Gracie with water/aloe vera mixture two times a day. I am especially soaking the picked areas.

2. I ordered a new avian lamp which should arrive in a day or two.

3. I have been taking Gracie out to the park for 30 min of sunshine daily.

It has only been a week since I took Gracie to the vet and made these changes. So far it is hard to tell if there is any improvement or not. I haven't seen her pluck out any more feathers, and the condition is not worse, but her belly is still mostly fluff, downy feathers, and a few chewed and ragged looking grey feathers. Obviously it will take time for feathers to regrow. How long do you think it will take after she stops picking?

Other than the picking, Gracie seems happy and healthy. She has lots of toys, gets plenty of sleep, is out of her cage most of the day and with me at least 6 hours a day. She eats like a horse and is as chatty as ever.

Gracie just turned 3. Is she too young for hormonal induced feather picking?

Any other thoughts or advice?

I am hoping things will improve soon. It isn't really all that bad at the moment, but I don't want her to make this a habit.

Thanks!

Jeff

Edited by JeffNOK

I can't recall if Gracie is a flyer? How active is she? I'm hoping high activity levels help prevent plucking. Seeing way too many accounts of these Greys picking out of the blue like this. But then I see people with Greys that have never plucked.

Another thing I'm hoping is that less cage time will also help. We have a bird room and I can tell our birds actually enjoy it in there as they will get antsy if not taken back there soon enough. It's like kindergarten rompa room.

It sounds like you have remedied all that might be causative other than hormonal fluctuations. I would think that the lack of bathing and the Sunlight were the most important factors especially during a molt causing those itchy new feather pins to come in. Here I live with one Mutilator and 2 nervous pluckers and a pair of greys that are growing in some of their lost feather coats while staying with us. They were badly plucked and are showing some improvement with daily aloe juice sprays, a fresher food diet and more Sunlight. Our mutilator has never stopped but has more feathers and as long as he is in his jacket and collar he does great. The nervous pluckers are off and on Smokey Joe pulls neck feathers when he is stressed and Pookie asks for attention but too much can make her pulls some small pieces of downy feather again neck area. She came to us as a 21 yrs old bird with a bare belly, chest neck and legs now she has regained most of her belly and chest. One side is still kind of bare and her legs are now feathered as is the back of her neck the leading edge of the underside of her wings are still very thin. Just so you know I also live with some fully feathered birds but I seem to end up with other folks bare ones.

Gracie has her wings in-tact and flies often. She is quite active when I am home. Playing, climbing, chewing toys. Her cage has the door open at all times except when she is sleeping. This is true even when I am at work. I have a suspicion it may be the lack of sunlight and infrequent bathing. Hopefully when the avian lamp comes and I continue to bathe her daily with water/aloe things will return to normal. Fingers crossed.

Don't stress Jeff, relax as Gracie will feel your reaction and any stress. Talk to her and let her know what is going on. If you have to change your schedule be gone a little longer talk to her about it. I am retired but if I leave my home I tell my parrots I will be back and to be good and "don't cause any problem". They understand I believe. I have 4 and some times I leave they out when I go to the store. When I come home the three I have had the longest are sitting at the their window perches waiting for me. Gracie and you have a great relationship and she is use to a certain schedule so if it changes you must let her know so that she understands. Think of Gracie as your "wife" and talk to her to get her okay.

Luvparrots, I think you are right about explaining everything. I should remember to assume she understands and just let her know everything that is going on. Thankfully, as of today, my schedule is back to normal and I will be home at the expected time.

Out of the blue after 3 years of never so much as over preening, Gracie started to pull out some of her belly feathers (about a 2 inch X 2 inch area). At first it just looked a little ragged, but after three days I could tell she was feather picking. It looked a lot the like the pictures posted by ElvenKing of Isaac back in January. I immediately took Gracie to the avian vet and had blood work done. Everything was normal. Gracie is very healthy aside from the feather issue. I started to take stock of lifestyle/environmental changes.

1. I have been coming home one hour later than usual the last 6 weeks because I teach an extra class. (this ends today--back to normal schedule)

2. Gracie is molting. (Vet verified this and pointed out numerous pin feathers coming in on her tummy where she was picking)

3. I had not been bathing Gracie very frequently. (once every 10 days or so)

4. Gracie's Avian lamp quit working two months ago. I didn't replace it. She also had not been outside in the sun for a couple of months.

Changes Made:

1. I am now misting Gracie with water/aloe vera mixture two times a day. I am especially soaking the picked areas.

2. I ordered a new avian lamp which should arrive in a day or two.

3. I have been taking Gracie out to the park for 30 min of sunshine daily.

It has only been a week since I took Gracie to the vet and made these changes. So far it is hard to tell if there is any improvement or not. I haven't seen her pluck out any more feathers, and the condition is not worse, but her belly is still mostly fluff, downy feathers, and a few chewed and ragged looking grey feathers. Obviously it will take time for feathers to regrow. How long do you think it will take after she stops picking?

Other than the picking, Gracie seems happy and healthy. She has lots of toys, gets plenty of sleep, is out of her cage most of the day and with me at least 6 hours a day. She eats like a horse and is as chatty as ever.

Gracie just turned 3. Is she too young for hormonal induced feather picking?

Any other thoughts or advice?

I am hoping things will improve soon. It isn't really all that bad at the moment, but I don't want her to make this a habit.

Thanks!

Jeff

http://www.avitec.com/Feather-In-AntiPick-Treatment-p/fi.htm

This link is for the product called Feather-In AntiPick Treatment. Make sure you get the powder container ( 8oz or 16oz) The product comes with it's own tiny scoop. This powder will last a very long time {Approx 1 yr or more) and it should always be in the home in case of periodic feather problems. The product is a bit expensive but since you only have one bird, the 8 oz size will suffice. 1 teaspoon =4 scoops.

########Is she too young for hormonal induced feather picking? #########

Yes she is too young plus most greys don't necessarily pluck when they're hormonal. People never talk about their birds who don't pluck when that time comes. It only comes up in conversation when the bird is plucking at that stage. That in turn makes people feel that this is a normal and common event and people do get frightened.

As far as that item above---only use 2x a day and discard whatever's left at night. When mixing with water, make sure to shake up mister well so that all lumps in the powder break up so that the mister won't get clogged.

Edited by Dave007

Jeff,

Kizzy is almost 2 and when he went through his molt a few months ago, he too began to pick and chew and ended up with a fluffy belly. The vet tested him- no problems. I take his cage out on the deck so he can get sunlight, spray him, etc. He still is fluffy after several months. Sounds very similar to what is happening to Gracie.