NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Your Opinion on Microchipping

chezron

When Brutus was a baby his vet talked me into getting a microchip for him. I have been reading this could lead to an increased risk of cancer. I don't like the idea of a foreign object in him, and I am not convinced that chipping is useful at all. Have any of you had a microchip removed from your Grey? I am thinking about it, but anesthesia carries a risk too. I think I will look into removal.

All of my pets are micro-chipped except my canary and my recently acquired 33-year old BF zon. I have had furry pets returned because of micro-chipping. Also, at least in my area, if someone keeps a micro-chipped pet, they can be prosecuted. It is stealing to retain a micro-chipped animal. The humane society and vets can easily check to see if a pet is micro-chipped all they have to do is scan the pet with an appropriate wand. A free service at least in my area.

I wouldn't chip my bird, if they are the same ones they put in dogs and cats, the are big for a bird IMO. Lots of people do it though, but there are tons more that wouldn't even think to scan a bird they find. I have heard about them causing cancer because it's a foreign body too. But the argument back was that dogs and cats don't usually live long enough for it to be a big deal. (Then how do they know!) I haven't heard much about chips in birds. My boxer I adopted has a chip, and I do know for a fact that chips can migrate in dogs and cats. That being said, I wouldn't have his removed, unless he starts having issues with it. What do they say... Why fix something that isn't broke? But talk to your vet, maybe it's an easy procedure?

I agree, it's a personal choice, and I know for sure some birds have been found because of chips. I saw on Facebook not to long ago, someone had bought/adopted a bird and took it in to be vetted, and it had a chip. Turns out that bird had been lost for a few weeks! It was reunited with its original owners.

Micro chips are designed to be biologically neutral. There is no chance they will cause cancer. Misty has been chipped twice because the first chip failed. The vet thinks it came out because it may have been too close to the surface. Both times Misty had the chip inserted he showed no reaction at all. It caused no irritation and no problems but it does give me some peace of mind that if he does go AWOL he can be positively identified.

Steve n Misty

My two dogs Are micro chipped, but I would not put my parrots thru the procedure...it is easy for dog, but not for a bird as I understand, you have to put them under anesthesia , too risky for me and that just my own opinion.

To chip or not to chip and to clip or not to clip is a mater of personal choice.

It`s still up you to keep your Parrot safe. There is no guarantee that a lost companion will find its way home.

If chipping or clipping brings you peace of mind, than do what your heart believes is in the best interest of your companion.

When I had my first parrot chipped the vet was going to sedate her and I said no, that I would prefer that she not. I believe it is because the humans don't want to be bitten. The vet did as I wished and now their policy is not to sedate. The vet learned something new and I now have peace of mind about my parrots hopefully being returned more quickly.

Personal choice and one that parronts have to make on their own.

Edited by luvparrots

My two dogs Are micro chipped, but I would not put my parrots thru the procedure...it is easy for dog, but not for a bird as I understand, you have to put them under anesthesia , too risky for me and that just my own opinion.

Misty was not anaesthetised when he was chipped. There was no trauma at all. Although he does not like to be restrained even by me. The vet towelled him and the procedure was over in seconds. Misty showed no resentment at all to the vet, his assistant or to me.

Steve n Misty

A hypothetical------A person decides that after hearing different people talking about chipping their parrots decides to do it. He feels wonderful. He remembers doing it to his dog which is a domestic animal. The lost dog wants to only come home after running away. Basically, he's lost and people eventually spot him, leash him and call the phone tag hanging from his neck and the owners come and get him. The dog is thrilled by getting home==the owner is thrilled to have him home..

Now back to the parrot who is a wild animal. Big difference between the two. The bird flies away into an area where he feels comfortable, for example, trees, branches or other things high up. Parrots as ell as other birds like to be high up. He may fly far or not. The search is on. Different methods are used in order to coax him/her to come home. ---No luck.

So now I come along and for some reason the bird happens to finally come to an area and I can catch the bird which I do. I look at the bird and he seems to be in great shape. After all, why go to a vet when the bird looks in great shape? I decide to keep him. I have no desire to have him checked out for a previous owner. so, as far as I'm concerned the bird is mine. Remember the term---Finders, keepers.

Now for reality---for each bird that's caught and eventually goes home, there's at least 100 that never do because they're wild animals who are in an environment which closely resembles the environment that natue has told them to live in. This scenario doesn't happen to all excapees, especially the ones that decide to stay close to their homes. In the past, loads and loads of people here who/ve had their birds chipped, lose their birds and are never seen again.Years ago, Dan had a bird that escaped and luckily he was able to come across people who returned him. The bird was caught 90 miles away. Even today, he's amazed that his bird was found and more importantly was returned. There are animals--dogs, cats, Yes. Wild birds ? You decide.

Edited by Dave007