NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I think I'm a parrot magnet

Joyvke

So our Amazone Lorrito has been doing this behavior to mostly myself and the other females in the house (when my sisters lived here). Although not as much as when I started to take him out of the cage. I read up on tips on how to discourage this acting, but sadly he keeps doing it. Ignoring it won't help. If he sees me he sometimes already start doing his mating breathing.

When Django our African Grey was younger he did this as well, at the time we thought something was wrong with him and he usually would stop it pretty fast too. The last few days (Django is about 1 years old now), Django is having the behavior of letting his wings hang and breathe weirdly (it sounds kind of cute). I wasn't sure if this was mate calling as well since Lorrito does it differently. Youtube told me this is African Grey mating behavior....

Both parrots do it to me and one of them just has to listen to my voice when I say good morning to start it.... I guess I'm a parrot babe magnet or w/e, but it is annoying.

I have never pet Lorrito on anything other than his head he sometimes when offers his paw (no petting just offering finger and he grabs it with his paw), but only recently I dared to accept his paw (considering he can change mood from friendly to aggressive as soon as a male enters the room)

Django was petted on the back when he was a small parrot, but as soon as we knew this was experienced as sexual we stopped and again only petting the head/ neck and giving paw.

I just wonder what else could have set off these birds and why only me. Could it be that my voice is really sensual to them in a way (I got a calm, pretty low voice, but wouldn't say it's sensual, heh), or am I petting them too often that they think I'm their mate? They don't do it to anyone else. I can't even read the paper without Lorrito going "hrrrr hrrrr heeeheeeeeheeee" from his cage....

Damnit I wish I had this attraction on human males, haha.

Thanks for reading and possible other tips but the ones I've already done.

TL: DR;

- Only petting head

- Ignoring the behavior when they start doing it (it doesn't matter they will do it anyway)

- No more petting below the head for a very long time

- I am a parrot babe magnet, help

- I tried telling them no (like when they bite, to see if it works for the behavior)

- I tried calmly telling the birds I'm a human and they are parrots and it would never work out (I actually did this, considering parrots are smart and hoping they'd understand something out of it)

I am aware this looks like a troll thread, but I'm actually serious.

edit:

Lorrito is a male (sexed)

Django is unknown (still not had his proper youthmoult, only few feathers here and there, when I have money I'll have him sexed as well, but I think he's a male).

So our Amazone Lorrito has been doing this behavior to mostly myself and the other females in the house (when my sisters lived here). Although not as much as when I started to take him out of the cage. I read up on tips on how to discourage this acting, but sadly he keeps doing it. Ignoring it won't help. If he sees me he sometimes already start doing his mating breathing.

When Django our African Grey was younger he did this as well, at the time we thought something was wrong with him and he usually would stop it pretty fast too. The last few days (Django is about 1 years old now), Django is having the behavior of letting his wings hang and breathe weirdly (it sounds kind of cute). I wasn't sure if this was mate calling as well since Lorrito does it differently. Youtube told me this is African Grey mating behavior....

Both parrots do it to me and one of them just has to listen to my voice when I say good morning to start it.... I guess I'm a parrot babe magnet or w/e, but it is annoying.

I have never pet Lorrito on anything other than his head he sometimes when offers his paw (no petting just offering finger and he grabs it with his paw), but only recently I dared to accept his paw (considering he can change mood from friendly to aggressive as soon as a male enters the room)

Django was petted on the back when he was a small parrot, but as soon as we knew this was experienced as sexual we stopped and again only petting the head/ neck and giving paw.

I just wonder what else could have set off these birds and why only me. Could it be that my voice is really sensual to them in a way (I got a calm, pretty low voice, but wouldn't say it's sensual, heh), or am I petting them too often that they think I'm their mate? They don't do it to anyone else. I can't even read the paper without Lorrito going "hrrrr hrrrr heeeheeeeeheeee" from his cage....

Damnit I wish I had this attraction on human males, haha.

Thanks for reading and possible other tips but the ones I've already done.

TL: DR;

- Only petting head

- Ignoring the behavior when they start doing it (it doesn't matter they will do it anyway)

- No more petting below the head for a very long time

- I am a parrot babe magnet, help

- I tried telling them no (like when they bite, to see if it works for the behavior)

- I tried calmly telling the birds I'm a human and they are parrots and it would never work out (I actually did this, considering parrots are smart and hoping they'd understand something out of it)

I am aware this looks like a troll thread, but I'm actually serious.

edit:

Lorrito is a male (sexed)

Django is unknown (still not had his proper youthmoult, only few feathers here and there, when I have money I'll have him sexed as well, but I think he's a male).

I'm of the opinion that you don't understand what happens to greys and Zons as they stop being that cuddly, cute bird when they were babies. They grow up and develop their own personal attitude, likes, dislikes. They remember what it's like to be petted in areas that should have never been touched as babies. Lots of people have done that to their baby birds. The people won't listen and when the baby bird gets to that stage where biting is very natural, they will bite. They also show signs that they will bite. The people get upset.

I feel that the type of behavior you're talking about is jealousy. Birds have to be a certain age when their natural jealousy trait comes out. Greys are jealous. Zons, less so. I have no idea whether your voice sounds sensual, sexy, alluring, desirable but in general parrots like calm voices. They don't desire sensual or sexual contact with people.

Obviously, this whole situation is bothering you. I don't know why it is but to each his own. They do like their sexual areas rubbed just like people like it and this cases a problem because as I just said, people do that when they're babies and the bird doesn't forget. They will always like it.

Reacting differently towards men and women-------It's not unusual when parrots do that. Greys are said to be one person birds but I've seen that happen with many other species. Some only like men, some only like women. Some only like men with no eyeglasses on. Some love the eyeglasses. Some like people who have dark hair, others don't. Some like children. others don't. Some will bite when they want, others don't. Some give out warning signs that they will bite----greys do that, Zons don't. Part of this biting has to do with your learning body language and there's a big section here about that.

So, what you just named off

Only petting head----that's a good thing to do. It should have been that way since the bird was a baby. The huffing and puffing, AS LONG AS THE PETTING IS CONFINED TO THE HEAD, is a sign of affection. I really can't tell you how to stop a bird from being affectionate. Zons ans Greys can be affectionate but on the other hand, they can fool a person. They act like they wanna be petted, then they bite. Again, body language. I'm sure that if you read that stuff, you'll see a big picture of your birds.

Ignoring the behavior when they start doing it (it doesn't matter they will do it anyway)-----Again, body language. That language will tell when not to do it.

No more petting below the head for a very long time----that's a form of punishment-----Should a bird be punished for being affectionate? Anyway, it won't stop anything that your bird/birds are doing. They don't understand punishment. They're wild animals.

I am a parrot babe magnet, help------that's so silly that I won't even talk about it. Anyway, the answer was already given.

I tried telling them no (like when they bite, to see if it works for the behavior ------- That's a good idea as long as you make it part of your routine. Sometimes it works with birds, sometimes not. your bird has it's own personality.

I tried calmly telling the birds I'm a human and they are parrots and it would never work out (I actually did this, considering parrots are smart and hoping they'd understand something out of it) -----birds don't need to be told that you're human. They already know that you're not a bird. They are smart but not that smart. They're birds.

Check out body language. It'll help if you wanna know the basic personalities of greys and in that body language section, you'll also see things concerning Zons which is a good thing.

I am aware this looks like a troll thread, but I'm actually serious.----- I believe you're telling the truth.

Edited by Dave007
  • Sad 1

As always, Dave is spot on.

We started visiting Dayo when he was 6 weeks old. At about 8 weeks of age he started constantly going to my wife each time we went to visit the 2 flocks of baby greys which totaled 7. When we brought him home at 16 weeks old he was my wifes grey through and through. Loved cuddling with her, would lay on his back on her lap etc. That continued unil he was around 2 - 2 1/2 years old. I was the "Other person" all this time and would routinely receive bites trying to interact with him at various levels. Sometimes he would let me give him scratches, sometimes he would fake me out and nail me. Then it became less and less and he preferred to sit on a T-Stand or Tree stand and chill, chase our conure Jake around the house or terrorize his toys rather than spend time with my wife. Now at 7 years old he just likes to get some scratches and then just chill the rest of the time. He now readily takes scratch's from me or my wife and rarely bites either one of us unless we are trying to remove him from a forbidden zone or item. They change enormously from chick to mature and awe inspiring adult grey.

I'm of the opinion that you don't understand what happens to greys and Zons as they stop being that cuddly, cute bird when they were babies. They grow up and develop their own personal attitude, likes, dislikes. They remember what it's like to be petted in areas that should have never been touched as babies. Lots of people have done that to their baby birds. The people won't listen and when the baby bird gets to that stage where biting is very natural, they will bite. They also show signs that they will bite. The people get upset.

Lorrito joined our family when he was about, most likely, 12 years old. I don't think he ever experienced love and still I am convinced the pet shop that sold him didn't breed him and that it's very likely he's caught in the wild. We didn't have much knowledge about parrots back then as we do now, since we just believed the petshops. About the biting part, I know exactly when they are going to bite. Django usually doesn't bite through and when Lorrito does it's usually per accident as he is scared when he hauls at me (doesn't happen that often, just when my dad gets in the room he gets upset. I can't even get him out of the cage when my brother is in the same room as he will fly and attack him. That was the first thing Lorrito did on the first day in our home... so I think Lorrito either got abused in his previous home or as said a wild bird.)

I feel that the type of behavior you're talking about is jealousy. Birds have to be a certain age when their natural jealousy trait comes out. Greys are jealous. Zons, less so. I have no idea whether your voice sounds sensual, sexy, alluring, desirable but in general parrots like calm voices. They don't desire sensual or sexual contact with people.

Obviously, this whole situation is bothering you. I don't know why it is but to each his own. They do like their sexual areas rubbed just like people like it and this cases a problem because as I just said, people do that when they're babies and the bird doesn't forget. They will always like it.

Both birds are jealous and will lash out if I pet them after I've pet the other, but I know how to read their jealousy and usually I just tell them they're sweet birds and that they will get their petting turn as well. This actually seems to work wonders as the biting after I played or doing whatever with the other parrot has decreased alot. Well it's bothering me in the sense that sometimes I just want to take them out of their cage and they start it as soon as I do. I only read that I shouldn't encourage that behavior and that it's best to ignore it, but it's hard to ignore if they keep doing it when you try to play or just take them out of their cages. Or just say "good morning lovelies". I think Django has only been pet a few times, I found out pretty fast and then my mum stopped doing it. Usually it was when he had his food, he would lay on our chest and we would just pet his shoulders (like you would a cat) and he'd fall asleep. I don't know if Lorrito ever has been petted like that as he was already older when he joined us and he's never been petted before until I got a bit older and dared to risk my fingers to try and tame him so he would be able to get out of the cage as I felt bad for him. We don't touch them on the "bad spots" at least. I don't know if it's bad to ignore those spots or that it wouldn't hurt them psychologically.

Reacting differently towards men and women-------It's not unusual when parrots do that. Greys are said to be one person birds but I've seen that happen with many other species. Some only like men, some only like women. Some only like men with no eyeglasses on. Some love the eyeglasses. Some like people who have dark hair, others don't. Some like children. others don't. Some will bite when they want, others don't. Some give out warning signs that they will bite----greys do that, Zons don't. Part of this biting has to do with your learning body language and there's a big section here about that.

So, what you just named off

Nah Django loves all of us, he likes my mum, brother and me. He dislikes my sisters, but I think he knows they dislike him too, since they always complain about the noise he makes (high screeching and only when they're in the same room). And yea I know how to read biting on both parrots :).

Only petting head----that's a good thing to do. It should have been that way since the bird was a baby. The huffing and puffing, AS LONG AS THE PETTING IS CONFINED TO THE HEAD, is a sign of affection. I really can't tell you how to stop a bird from being affectionate. Zons ans Greys can be affectionate but on the other hand, they can fool a person. They act like they wanna be petted, then they bite. Again, body language. I'm sure that if you read that stuff, you'll see a big picture of your birds.Ignoring the behavior when they start doing it (it doesn't matter they will do it anyway)-----Again, body language. That language will tell when not to do it.

Yea Django has a tendancy to throw his head down like he wants to be petted and then BAM instant bite (not hard), but you know when it happens at least. When he was a baby we stopped petting his shoulders/ back as soon as we knew, I think it happened a few times, mostly after he's had his porridge. Lorrito is always affectionate without biting, but he usually wants to hold my finger and puts his paw up as if he's telling me "give me your finger because I like holding it" - as weird as that may sound.

No more petting below the head for a very long time----that's a form of punishment-----Should a bird be punished for being affectionate? Anyway, it won't stop anything that your bird/birds are doing. They don't understand punishment. They're wild animals.

I mean I just pet his head/ neck. Am I ok to pet his back when he sits on my finger or when he sits on my shoulders sitting next to my face that I can just give him a quick pet? I'm just worried that he might get messed up.

I am a parrot babe magnet, help------that's so silly that I won't even talk about it. Anyway, the answer was already given.

Sorry it was more being jokingly about it. Have to keep things light :).

I tried telling them no (like when they bite, to see if it works for the behavior ------- That's a good idea as long as you make it part of your routine. Sometimes it works with birds, sometimes not. your bird has it's own personality.

Yea sometimes it does work, so I'm glad with that.

I tried calmly telling the birds I'm a human and they are parrots and it would never work out (I actually did this, considering parrots are smart and hoping they'd understand something out of it) -----birds don't need to be told that you're human. They already know that you're not a bird. They are smart but not that smart. They're birds.

Check out body language. It'll help if you wanna know the basic personalities of greys and in that body language section, you'll also see things concerning Zons which is a good thing.

I'll have another look!

I am aware this looks like a troll thread, but I'm actually serious.----- I believe you're telling the truth.

Thanks alot for your advice :).