NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Aspergillosis & roxy update

susan100

Hi everyone

On July 16 I started a thread on the welcome & introduction room about my Grey Roxy who had contracted Aspergillosis a 2nd time. I tried to leave & update twice on that thread but unfortunately it doesn't go on so am trying a new thread now in the hope that all the lovely people who were concerned for her will get to see it.

I brought her home from the vets last Monday and she gets stronger every day. she is only a small grey, about 400g. when I brought her home she was 368g and she is now 391g. She will be on meds for several weeks and constant nebulising and will have more tests in 6 weeks, but at the moment you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her, she is very lively, flying about, whistling, talking and eating well.

Luckily this time I noticed the signs a lot sooner and got her straight to Craig Hunt at Chine house Sileby who saved her life last year.

If anyone does have a bird that goes quiet for several days and whose voice changes (Roxy started making little clucking noises) then just get them to a vet ASAP. The meds are so much better now for this dreadful disease that caught early it needn't be a death sentence any more.

Once again thanks to all you lovely people who sent good wishes to us, will write again soon

Susan xx

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone

On July 16 I started a thread on the welcome & introduction room about my Grey Roxy who had contracted Aspergillosis a 2nd time. I tried to leave & update twice on that thread but unfortunately it doesn't go on so am trying a new thread now in the hope that all the lovely people who were concerned for her will get to see it.

I brought her home from the vets last Monday and she gets stronger every day. she is only a small grey, about 400g. when I brought her home she was 368g and she is now 391g. She will be on meds for several weeks and constant nebulising and will have more tests in 6 weeks, but at the moment you wouldn't know anything was wrong with her, she is very lively, flying about, whistling, talking and eating well.

Luckily this time I noticed the signs a lot sooner and got her straight to Craig Hunt at Chine house Sileby who saved her life last year.

If anyone does have a bird that goes quiet for several days and whose voice changes (Roxy started making little clucking noises) then just get them to a vet ASAP. The meds are so much better now for this dreadful disease that caught early it needn't be a death sentence any more.

Once again thanks to all you lovely people who sent good wishes to us, will write again soon

Susan xx

I am so glad you caught this in time! I have heard this from others who had the respiratory form, that the change in voice was the first clue that something was wrong. I pray that she makes a full recovery.

Thank you Susan for the update. I remember how foreign and difficult it seemed when I joined this forum. It was my first Internet group and I didn't know much about forums or African Greys. It's threads like yours that create awareness and hope for the next person who starts googling after walking away from a vet's office in shock. To come back and post such positive results is so helpful, thank you.