NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

High altitude

Loco11

Here's a question that was brought up to me by someone on grey forums...do birds do ok at high altitudes? My husband and I are planning to get a baby to replace our beloved Oprah, but we've bought land in Colorado where we plan to retire in a couple years to be near the kids and grandkids. The elevation is about 8,000 feet...maybe a bit more.

Thanks, loco

Hi loco. I am not a vet and can only speak from personal experience. Both my (departed) 'zon and CAG lived long and happy lives at over 7k ft, my CAG even in spite of chronic respiratory issues (unrelatred to the altitude, from abuse and neglect).

HRH Inara thrives as do my avian vet's birds here at 7300ft. I would suggest asking your avian vet about transport issues if any from being reared and housed at low altitude and coming up to adjust at high altitude. Birds are birds, afterall, and fly high changing altitude rapidly but who knows what if any affect a move may have on inner ear organs, etc for a brief time. An avian vet and/or some of the breeders here would know.

PS. You will love it out here. :)

Edited by Inara

My birds have traveled all over the U.S. with us and on one trip was from sea level to high in the Rockies all in a matter of days and than back down.

It`s a matter of acclamation for your birds as well as with you. It`s a difference that your body and your birds can adjust too. They have companion parrots out there too.