NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Why????

Luvparrots

If you all remember, I at one time also had an older male Eclectus parrot. He is at least older than 15 years that I can account for as he was a rehomed parrot. My timneh, Ana Grey, my first parrot hated him and would unmercifully dive bomb him and peck at him whenever he was out of his cage. Very hateful. Sully did "love" me. He would run is tongue up my arm. I gave Sully away to my neighbors who love him to pieces and spoil him to bits. If you recall I posted about how Sully after he had been with his new home for a while walked over to me up to my shoulder and kissed me on the cheek and then walked back climbed up his new owner's shoulder and proudly cuddled his neck. Priceless. It to me it was his way of thanking me for loving him enough to make sure he was safe and happy.

Anyway, back to my thread. I always wondered if it was Sully's color (beautiful bright green) or that he was male or that he was older, or what??? Why did Ana Grey hate him so much.

Well, I have two very bright and colorful zons (gorgeous green). All my other parrots (3) are male. I have an older zon (33 years old). So what about Sully, the eclectus, did Ana Grey dislike. He is not sickly as his new owners spoil him to pieces. He was been to an avian vet also and he is just fine.

Sully never bothered Ana Grey, never went to her cage nothing. I did not show him more attention than her. So why the hate. Any ideas???? Anyone....... I just would love to have an answer to this mystery or just an idea of why.....

Janet

It was never color. It was personality. 2/3/4 or any number of birds can know each personality. Many times, it happens to birds of the exact same color and species. Sometimes, it happens to birds of different sizes. Throughout the years here, how many times have you heard of 2 greys that hate each other? How many times have you heard about giving one or the other bird away because of aggression? In your situation it was the luck of the draw. Most importantly, your ekkie went on to a happy, contented future.

Janet you might have to look for a long time, and you may never know why.

Have you ever met a person you disliked from the start? You did not know why, you just disliked them.

Corky is her own judge of corrector and that's OK because the same people she don`t like are the same people I don`t like, a for the most part anyway.

Our companions are just as complex as we are and that's why we love so much.

This proves the birdys are smarter than we are, or at least me.

I can't tell you how many times I've met someone and either really liked or disliked them. Then I get to know them and do a complete 180. Most the time (when I change opinions) it's like->dislike but the ones that are dislike->like are always interesting to me.

My birds never change. We're obviously susceptible to false first-impressions whereas there's no fooling the parrots.

Has anyone here ever seen a switch in long-term attitudes, one bird towards another?

• 2 weeks later...

Birds seem to know things instantly. They don't wonder or ponder--they just know. Offer them a food or water and they take it or they don't but they don't change their mind--ever. I don't know how they do that. I know, Brutus liked every bird he has ever met and Jimpster hates any and all competition. Pancho just wants to play and eat and doesn't really seem to care one way or the other.