NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is that good?

Doronxl7

Hello guys,

My baby Congo Grey 4 months old eating a lot as I think.

I give her Apple's the most (she very like them) and more vegetables and fruits. (I know what is toxic etc'). Every time I check if the food dish (her own healthy African Grey food) is full or I need to replace the crumbs with new, she got the calcium block for birds at her cage and always ask for more food (vegetables \ fruits).

It is normal? maybe because she just an 4 months old baby? should I worry about that?

Do I need to give her some diet with the vegetables and fruits or when she want?

P.S I don't give her apples daily, 3-5 days in a week... she eating the whole apple when I give her (Never gave the whole apple at the first time, every time part of it)

Can you get a weight on your bird for us? (grams if possible). Just from reading your post it sounds like your bird may be too hungry. Apples are not good in bulk, and by bulk, you mentioned you give her a whole apple 3-5 times per week. That's a lot. I'm guessing you are feeding pellets? (what are crumbs?)

I'm assuming you got this bird from a breeder, do you know what type of hand-feeding formula this bird was on? Are you still offering it? My Grey was on the formula for quite a while even though she was eating pellets, veggies (some fruits) and sprouts. Just from what you've written I'm getting the feeling your bird is starving a little. We need more info on the feeding habits.

Can you get a weight on your bird for us? (grams if possible). Just from reading your post it sounds like your bird may be too hungry. Apples are not good in bulk, and by bulk, you mentioned you give her a whole apple 3-5 times per week. That's a lot. I'm guessing you are feeding pellets? (what are crumbs?)

I'm assuming you got this bird from a breeder, do you know what type of hand-feeding formula this bird was on? Are you still offering it? My Grey was on the formula for quite a while even though she was eating pellets, veggies (some fruits) and sprouts. Just from what you've written I'm getting the feeling your bird is starving a little. We need more info on the feeding habits.

Yeah, at the cage she always got pellets for African Grey. every day we give her veggies and fruits, not just apples. She really like apples so we give her it mainly. (we give her Lettuce, peppers (sweet and hot), cucumber, carrots, broccoli, etc.)

I don't really know the formula type the breeder gave her but I don't give her any Formula and the vet said that she is 400 grams (and adult parrot should weight like this as he said. Congo Grey)

Yeah, at the cage she always got pellets for African Grey. every day we give her veggies and fruits, not just apples. She really like apples so we give her it mainly. (we give her Lettuce, peppers (sweet and hot), cucumber, carrots, broccoli, etc.)

I don't really know the formula type the breeder gave her but I don't give her any Formula and the vet said that she is 400 grams (and adult parrot should weight like this as he said. Congo Grey)

Cucumbers and lettuce have no value as far as nutrition. Extremely dark green vegetables are nutritious. Fruit, apples , grapes, cantaloupe and just about any other fruit has no nutritional value other than being a treat. Goes in one end and out the other. Fruits also make the droppings soft and runny. Besides pellets, there should be a decent type of parrot mix in the cage 24/7. Parrots eat differently than humans. With parrots there is no such thing as breakfast, lunch or dinner.

400 gms weight being normal? 400 gms is very light for a congo African grey. Do you know the size of the parents? There's small, medium and large boned greys. One of my pet greys is 571gms.( I own the parents) The other pet grey is 485 gms. My Timneh is 330 gms.

Sterling is right. Your bird does seem to be underweight. Your bird should be given all it wants plus that parrot mix. You can't overfeed a grey.

PM---forgot to add----And because of it's age and your reluctance to give formula, you should feed warm, lumpy, flavored oatmeal. Quaker Oats sells it---10 packets per box--all different flavors and the sugar that's in it is brown sugar and won't hurt a bird. 1 or 2x a week-- 1 large tablespoon ( or more if he likes it)

Edited by Dave007