NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Heartbreaking!!

M'sBabies

First those teenagers who stole and tortured and killed a mans bird and now this. I will NEVER understand abuse of any kind. I would STARVE if I had to just to make sure my animals ate.

Exotic parrots dead; Highlands woman charged

Kathleen Hopkins, @Khopkinsapp 6:07 p.m. EDT July 4, 2014

-Whiskey103a_20051025.jpg

(Photo: ASBURY PARK PRESS FILE PHOTO )

357 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 7 COMMENTEMAILMORE

HIGHLANDS – A 22-year-old borough woman is facing 10 animal cruelty charges after authorities learned that five exotic African grey parrots found dead in her home perished as a result of lack of food and water.

Beth M. Devereaux of Huddy Avenue was charged Friday with two counts of animal cruelty for each dead bird – one for failing to provide food and water to the animals and another for failing to properly care for them, said Victor “Buddy’’ Amato, chief law enforcement officer for the Monmouth County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Highlands police were summoned to Devereaux’s home on June 27 by someone who reported a problem at the residence, Amato said. Highlands Detective Anthony Macri went there and found the birds dead, according to police.

“Somebody complained the birds had died and they suspected foul play,’’ Amato said.

At the direction of SPCA officials, the parrots were taken to the Red Bank Animal Hospital for a necropsy to determine the cause of their deaths, Amato said. It was determined they died as a result of lack of food and water, he said.

The chief said the birds’ cages were “dry as a bone and had hardly any fecal matter at the bottom.’’

He said it indicated they weren’t being fed. The parrots, which are able to talk, grow to as tall as a foot and often live longer than humans, were kept in a dusty room with no ventilation, which could be why they dehydrated so easily, Amato said.

“There was no air conditioning, and the windows were all closed,’’ he said.

Amato did not know the age of the birds.

“For some reason, which we haven’t determined, she just gave up on the animals,’’ the chief said.

Devereaux was released on her own recognizance after being charged, pending a hearing in municipal court on July 22, Amato said. She could face fines of $1,000 for each animal cruelty charge, if she is convicted, as well as a possible six-month jail term, he said.

Kathleen Hopkins: 732-643-4202; Khopkins@app.com

357 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDIN 7 COMMENTEMAILMORE

I have no words for the anger and sadness that cohabitate in equal measure in spirit. It is just beyond belief. On the flip side, the love and dedication exhibited here on the forum warms my heart and gives some measure of hope,

I hope they throw the book at her. Sorry to say I know a women like this one. She has the money to buy almost anything she wants. So she buys animals and then she doesn't take care of them. She has killed 3 Tiels and some Keets. When she had dogs she couldn't be bothered to let them out or make sure they had food and water. Her daughter finally put her foot down and told her she couldn't get any more animals and even went to the pet shops near her and told them they were not to sell to her. Of course she went to the other side of the city and bought another dog!! She almost killed this one too, but she moved into a new apartment and the neighbors help her with it so it has survived for three years!! This women just can not do anything for anyone but herself.

Sorry for the rant but I guess I just needed to vent.

The very sad part is, little is ever done in most cases. I used to run a newsgroup, and one of our most bitter arguments was over someone defending some drunken idiot who threw LIVE KITTENS INTO A FIRE to get back at his girlfriend. I believe he got a year and a half which was then SUSPENDED except for the time served (134 days). It amazes me how evil some humans can be. I just pray people like this get what is coming to them.

I hope they throw the book at her. Sorry to say I know a women like this one. She has the money to buy almost anything she wants. So she buys animals and then she doesn't take care of them. She has killed 3 Tiels and some Keets. When she had dogs she couldn't be bothered to let them out or make sure they had food and water. Her daughter finally put her foot down and told her she couldn't get any more animals and even went to the pet shops near her and told them they were not to sell to her. Of course she went to the other side of the city and bought another dog!! She almost killed this one too, but she moved into a new apartment and the neighbors help her with it so it has survived for three years!! This women just can not do anything for anyone but herself.

Sorry for the rant but I guess I just needed to vent.

Never apologize about ranting. Sometimes, you'll come across scumbags that will break your heart. There's shows on TV that show people who hoard animals. It's hard to watch these shows. Not only does a person walk away feeling heartbroken, they'll walk away feeling angry. I'm speaking for all animals. The worse shows to watch are the domestic animals like cats and dogs besides birds. You know, there's people in this world that seem to have been born that are missing something in their brain. The bad thing is that people who care about living things have to pay the price and see these sickos. I have no sympathy for these creatures who are called people. They're lowlife f*cked up scumbags that deserve to have their stones cut off.

AND I'm not gonna apologize to anyone concerning what I'm saying right now.

When I first read the story I absolutely cried my heart out. Then I got angry! I'm originally from NJ and have friends there who have birds, own rescues, bird supply stores (No birds, just supplies), etc. There were options! Don't have ANY animals in the first place or make a simple phone call and get them put into a rescue so they can find loving homes. Dave I have to agree 100% with you. I hope they make her pay dearly! 22 Years old and she was capable of such cruelty? Very sad. Now 5 beautiful birds have senselessly died because of this "person".

Never apologize about ranting. Sometimes, you'll come across scumbags that will break your heart. There's shows on TV that show people who hoard animals. It's hard to watch these shows. Not only does a person walk away feeling heartbroken, they'll walk away feeling angry. I'm speaking for all animals. The worse shows to watch are the domestic animals like cats and dogs besides birds. You know, there's people in this world that seem to have been born that are missing something in their brain. The bad thing is that people who care about living things have to pay the price and see these sickos. I have no sympathy for these creatures who are called people. They're lowlife f*cked up scumbags that deserve to have their stones cut off.

AND I'm not gonna apologize to anyone concerning what I'm saying right now.

I agree 100 percent Dave! Thanks for "Telling it like it is"!

I think this woman has mental health issues not a normal response to not feed birds who you have brought into your home and then slowly watch them starve. Definitely a cog or two out of sync here especially as she seems to have a history of similar behaviors. She needs help. So very sad for the birds and what they suffered.

That woman deserves the exact same treatment that she gave to those poor poor birds. There are not many things that will cause me to lose my rag but cruelty to children and animals infuriate me.

Steve N Misty

My thoughts exactly!

I truly believe, everything begins with parents. I have taught my children to love and respect all our animals, never to take them for granted.I always focused on teaching them what " empathy" meant, whether it be humans or animals. As they now make their choices off in college... I LIKE their choices. I couldn't be prouder! Nancy