NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

travelling to teach English with a CAG

Darci

hey all

I was looking for a list of nations that allow people to bring an African Grey with them, but I can't seem to find one. I don't plan to be nomadic forever but I would like to teach in a few countries before I settle and I was wondering if there is a list of countries that are amenable to a person bringing a Congo African Grey with them and what the requirements would be. I have a good offer standing in China but right now I am leaning towards South Korea or Thailand. This is still in the infant stages of planning though, wouldn't be for at least a year and more than likely two.

thanks, all

Darci & the beasts

Welcome Darci. You don't mention where you are now, but be sure to check into what it would take to bring the bird BACK home with you. I would hate for you to go to a nation that lets you in and then have your home nation tell you that you can not bring the bird back with you. I have heard of it happening!! Please be very careful.

I am in Canada, and on the CITES appendix, the CAG is listed as a II, meaning I need an export and re-export license. I still have a lot of research to do, when I make it back to Alberta I know of a parrot enthusiast group that meets once a month. I think I am going to join up and see what they might know.

hey all

I was looking for a list of nations that allow people to bring an African Grey with them, but I can't seem to find one. I don't plan to be nomadic forever but I would like to teach in a few countries before I settle and I was wondering if there is a list of countries that are amenable to a person bringing a Congo African Grey with them and what the requirements would be. I have a good offer standing in China but right now I am leaning towards South Korea or Thailand. This is still in the infant stages of planning though, wouldn't be for at least a year and more than likely two.

thanks, all

Darci & the beasts

I'm afraid that there are no countries that allow easy access. The easiest place is Canada and even that is hard to accomplish. Some countries don't allow any birds at all. With countries that do, extreme quarantine is needed which can last up to 6mts or more depending on the country. African greys and other parrots are considered wild animals ( which they are) and in certain countries no importation or exportation is allowed. There was person here who lived in China and wanted to go to Thailand. It wasn't allowed so he gave the grey to relatives in China. You would need to contact the proper officials in each country and find out their specific laws and methods.