NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hello grey brothers and sisters

Hi people, my name is brad and I am from Vancouver island bc,I have just adopted and 3 year old CAG, (Sako) from a good friend that had her since 3 months,but felt he could not give her the time she needed.She is a very gentle soul,and she has been here for about 3 months now.My friend did not feed her to much of fresh veggies and brought her up an zupreem fruitblend.So I am trying to to introduce her to fresh stuff and a more natural pellet,trying pretty bird, but she seems to be only interested in zupreem,she likes to eat from my plate a bit and I am trying all sorts of different ways to sneak fresh stuff in from reading here.I am also trying to sneak red palm oil in her diet to but anything I put it on she stays away from.I feel that the zupreem has to much sugar and other stuff in it that in the long run might not be to good fro her,and I think she like zupreem for it sugar content (any thoughts) She has a bit of a feather plucking deal going on he neck that I would like to try and help with,she seems to do this when she is what it looks like to me short anxiety attacks because she starts to chew her feet then onto her neck and even when i go pick her up she trys to do,not sure what tigers this,I just started to bath her but she seems not to like water but I have read daves post on how to help with this and yesterday I got her in my sink and got her good and wet with his way he mentioned, she did not like but I feel she needs to get bathed to help with skin.All in all she seems to be adapting ok and hopefully over time I can get her on a better diet and help with her anxiety attacks,( could this be hormonal)I well try my best to read here and learn how to be the best friend to my new little Buddie.Any help and suggestions well be much appreciated.I am glad I found this form as it seems to have lots of good help her.

Be well everyone and I look forward to learn.

Love and Light

Brad

Edited by furley

Hi people, my name is brad and I am from Vancouver island bc,I have just adopted and 3 year old CAG, Sako from a good friend that had her since 3 months,but felt he could not give her the time she needed.She is a very gentle soul,and she has been here for about 3 months now.My friend did not feed her to much of fresh veggies and brought her up an zupreem fruitblend.So I am trying to to introduce her to fresh stuff and a more natural pellet,trying pretty bird, but she seems to be only interested in zupreem,she likes to eat from my plate a bit and I am trying all sorts of different ways to sneak fresh stuff in from reading here.I am also trying to sneak red palm oil in her diet to but anything I put it on she stays away from.I feel that the zupreem has to much sugar and other stuff in it that in the long run might not be to good fro her,and I think she like zupreem for it sugar content (any thoughts) She has a bit of a feather plucking deal going on he neck that I would like to try and help with,she seems to do this when she is what it looks like to me short anxiety attacks because she starts to chew her feet then onto her neck and even when i go pick her up she trys to do,not sure what tigers this,I just started to bath her but she seems not to like water but I have read daves post on how to help with this and yesterday I got her in my sink and got her good and wet with his way he mentioned, she did not like but I feel she needs to get bathed to help with skin.All in all she seems to be adapting ok and hopefully over time I can get her on a better diet and help with her anxiety attacks,( could this be hormonal)I well try my best to read here and learn how to be the best friend to my new little Buddie.Any help and suggestions well be much appreciated.I am glad I found this form as it seems to have lots of good help her.

Be well everyone and I look forward to learn.

Love and Light

Brad

Hi

First off, concerning your bird, you need to understand that parrots can get to used to many things in a short amount of time. Those things can be accepted by a bird when they're very young----food for example. It seems that not much effort was put into giving a variety of foods. He can't be blamed. He just didn't know what the methods were available. Many people want their birds to eat fresh veggies whether they're fresh off the shelf or packaged in the store's freezer. Both are good and contain the same vitamins. What people had a problem with is that their birds refused to eat the many varieties of veggies that were purchased. Many grey son't and it's really not important that they eat every kind available.It's a trial and error situation. Eventually, he'll accept one or 2 kinds. Maybe as time goes on, he'll accept another one. Your second effort should be how to prepare them. Some like veggies raw, others like them cooked, some like them warm, some like them warmer. Usually, the best way to cook veggies is to steam them but remember that with some birds don't like it that way. If frozen, they should be served at room temp. If steamed they should be allowed to cool off. Many birds will take to firmer veggies. Some like them softer. Also try giving raw. Never frozen. The best veggies to pick out are green ones. ALL VARIETIES. Some have no nutritional value but should also be given--corn for instance. It won't hurt. You'll also see that most veggies won't be accepted. That's common. Another thing you might try is intergrating human food--once in a while eggs, once in a while spegetti with tomato sauce. If you're a chicken eater, the bones in the wings are good for them (marrow in bones plus the actual bone).

Red palm oil----there' a method that many times works----get an old used small seasoning bootle --( ex--oregano, paprika etc)and thoroughly clean it. Understand that Palm oil very clumpy, solid and thick. . Put spoons of it in the seasoning bottle. Micro until you see the oil turn dark red from orange. The oil is now a liquoid. Let it go to room temp and then take a very tiny skinny item ex--like the internals of a ball point pen dip it in the oil and let it drip all over solid food such as your seed. Your bird won't be able to avoid it because many seeds will be coated with the oil.

Now as far as changing seed---That's a hard one and also trial and error but in general, most decent seed mixtures aren't really bad since about 1995. Lots of changes have happened and your bird is gonna need it available 24/7. Some people successfully change over and some don't. Trial and error is important and well known decent brands should be used. Good luck.

Thanks Dave007,the red palm oil I bought at my health food store,(wilderness family naturals) all natural red,it seems like its all ready in liquid form for the most part.and I did what you said put it on her zupreem and now she wont touch it, so I well try sneaking it in some how.

Sounds like I am doing pretty much what you have said here so I think I am on the right track,I am a vegetarian so I wont be giving here any meat,I have to much compassion for all living things to bring myself to contribute to killing for her sake,sorry for that.

Thank you for your post on showering, I am trying it.

I well keep reading here and learning,any suggestion on training,I got her to step up turn around wave and working on speaking on q,I well look up training.

Welcome. I think she will do fine on your vegetarian diet. Do you eat milk, eggs etc? If so, a little egg a couple of times a week will do. Also, a bite of whole grain bread toasted with a drop of red palm oil will sometimes be accepted. You might try covering it with a thin amount of Peanut Butter. That also will give her a bit of protein. Most beans are OK but only cooked then cooled a bit. You might try a warm bath, my Grey does much better with his shower when it is warm. Now my Sun Conure likes cool - so no shared showers! LOL I agree that Zupreem fruit has too much sugar so please keep trying to get her to eat others. We do like pictures!!

Hi Brad and Furley and welcome to the grey forum. sounds like things are going fine. You have been given some great advice by Dave007 and the other members.

Keep offering different kinds of food even if she don`t eat it at first. Over time she will try it and may like it.

Welcome and eat those new foods in front of Sako making those yummy sounds. You will at least pique her interest and make her more interested in trying new foods.

That's the only way around here to get Dorian to try something new, I have to eat it in front of him and make yummy noises. lol