NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

raisins and peanut butter

alex2014

I have not seen and references to raisins, are they ok? if so should there be a specific kind?

How about peanut butter? and is so how do you server it?

just looking for different ideas.

Alex seems to now eat almost any veggie or grain that I give him but Rocco prefers his pellets over anything i offer him. Rocco will only eat an occasional grape or walnut as a treat.

Raisins are good. Just saw that one on the Parrot Pantry. One of my birds will eat loads of raisins.

As for peanut butter - some say to stay away from peanut products. I suspect it's because of the aspergillosis threat? We have an almond butter we use for the birdys however I do give them peanut butter as a not-to-often treat or in their oatmeal treat.

My son is a peanut butter nut and will only eat Jiff, so we bye it in the large can. When the peanut butter can is empty we give it to the birds to play with.

Corky and Cricket loved to crawl inside the peanut butter can and clean it out. It was funny to see a red or green tail sticking out of the can. They would come out all covered in peanut butter. they would not let you clean them off and would spend hours preening the peanut butter off their feathers.

• 6 months later...

I give my Congo peanut butter on crackers for treats plenty of times. Every time he see's it his eyes get big. If he see's me eating it while I'm sitting on the couch he will come out of his cage, walk over to me and wants some for himself. I've had my African Grey for 25 years so I must be doing something right.

Since the humans in the house don't like peanut butter, the fids don't get any. lol Not really! There's plenty of things I buy just for them. But Phenix came addicted to peanuts & sunflower seeds & wouldn't anything else for a scary lengths of time. I used peanut butter to help him transition to good foods. But all peanut products were banned once I got him "cleaned up". Probably why we found Red Palm Oil which is actually supposed to be healthier. You might try it. I find it in the organic foods isle at my regular grocery store.

Different species of birds have different requirements for fruit intake. Greys are on the lower side, generally. Raisins are fine, but too much sugar isn't great. So my guys get them as a treat.