NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Help With Isaac's Diet

Elvenking

I am currently exploring a lot of possibilities to help Isaac be the healthiest bird he can be. He had a plucking incident recently so I want to work from different angles. Bear in mind, that I am cooking-challenged and most recipes will throw me for a loop right at the ingredients. Where to get these items....what are they? Yes....it's like that. I barely know what I would make myself to eat if it's not pre-prepared.

So the one thing I would like to focus on first will be his diet. Here is my schedule....and some diet plan must fit in with what is possible. I already ordered a sprouter and some mid-bird sprout from the sprouts people...really hopeful with this. but this is going to take a few days to get going.

My schedule during the week is as such...I get up in the morning and have up to two hours to do everything I have to do to get the birds ready and me off to work. I typically do not return till about 4:30PM but will often stop home at lunch time which is manageable. Whatever I feed him....I have to be able to get it to him...have him eat some...and be able to remove it and add some fresh veggies for the morning after I leave. I know that you don't want to leave them in the cage for too long, but I have to balance and I would rather leave him with something. Right now, I change all of his seed\pellet mix and water out, and chop fresh veggies a la broccoli, carrots, apples...and sometimes corn. Yeah probably needs a little help. Sometimes he gets a supplement of his baby food.

Then it's off to work where I might come home for lunch. Then I can typically come home right after work and tend to my baby again. This would be when I have some time to make him something again. At this time...he either eats with me which can be noodles, rice of many types, chicken, he does pick my mashed potatoes...or I will make him some whole grain noodles with red palm oil, scrambled eggs. I definitely need more variety.

With a schedule like this...what would you do? I want someone to just suggest, "Try this...." If you can do that.....my best love to you...and thank you.

The best thing I did was get the parrot cookbook, Nourish to Flourish. Simple easy to follow and freeze. Pull stuff out of the freezer the night before and breakfast and dinner are ready the next day. Some of the ingredients are tuff to find but they give pictures and explain what they are to help you locate them in your store. Most though are so basic we forget about using them.

Oh there is even a section for birds that pluck and what we should and shouldn't feed that could help them. After 3 years my bald macaw did get a body feather in. Not saying it was from the new diet but can't say it wasn't either.

Edited by murfchck

The best thing I did was get the parrot cookbook, Nourish to Flourish. Simple easy to follow and freeze. Pull stuff out of the freezer the night before and breakfast and dinner are ready the next day. Some of the ingredients are tuff to find but they give pictures and explain what they are to help you locate them in your store. Most though are so basic we forget about using them.

Absolutely epic! Thank you! I assume this is what you refer to....

http://www.amazon.com/Nourish-Flourish-Healthy-Cookbook-Parrots/dp/0984264329/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403894166&sr=8-1&keywords=parrot+cookbook

...consider this ordered!

We must have cross posted: I posted this in your Isaac feather update.

link

Yep...I got your suggestions for the cage and the birdie bread on order. Love the mixed frozen veggie idea too. Will get some stuff at the store tonight! :)

I absolutely love that little pic of your birdies head. LOL.

Edited by Elvenking

When i wrote that other post...there was a fourth 'item' in our rotation that I couldn't remember.

We picked up these at the last bird fair we went to. Super easy, one easier than the other:

Volkman Birdeez Buffet 15 Minute Soak&Serve

Greycie doesn't much care for this one but my other two like it - plus is takes more effort.

Volkman overnight soak and cook

With those four items in the rotation I almost don't run out of options.

Very cool...I printed out these Overnight recipe and bookmarked the 15 min soak and serve. I'll probably end up getting it before the day is up. I may have some questions for ya regarding the recipe for the overnight stuff...but I will get around to trying a lot of things until Isaac takes to a few I can rotate. Gonna get those sweet potatoes tonight too! We are gonna make him a healthy boyeeeee.

Anyone have any suggestions where to get the cook book? seems to be out of print. Amazon only has it through 3rd party sellers. New for about $30 with shipping but used it goes from $60-$100. I tried Barnes and Nobles but they don't carry it

Anyone have any suggestions where to get the cook book? seems to be out of print. Amazon only has it through 3rd party sellers. New for about $30 with shipping but used it goes from $60-$100. I tried Barnes and Nobles but they don't carry it

If you are referring to the Nurish to Flourish Parrot Cookbook...I just got it through the seller on Amazon (Phoenix Landing Foundation and the makers of the book)....don't know why the others are charging more...but I am used to seeing people ask outrageous prices for items that can be found for reasonable prices. 60-100 seems a bit strange to me.

Direct from Phoenix Landing Here.

Now I want this cookbook too. Stephen, I do use what Sterling mentioned Volkman soak and simmer. I have a really nice rice cooker and can set it up on a timer to soak the beans and grains and automatically steam cook to just the right texture. It was a lot more difficult to get the texture right by boiling and simmering and I always seemed to have to cook it longer than the directions specified. I will cook about two cups dry mix, drain it in a colander, then package about 1/3 cup into snack size zip lock bags. I freeze them. My routine is to thaw overnight, microwave for 15 seconds, stir in a 1/4 teaspoon of red palm oil. I believe this has been one of Gilbert's magic potions to help her feathers grow in straight and she is looking better than ever.

Now I want this cookbook too. Stephen, I do use what Sterling mentioned Volkman soak and simmer. I have a really nice rice cooker and can set it up on a timer to soak the beans and grains and automatically steam cook to just the right texture. It was a lot more difficult to get the texture right by boiling and simmering and I always seemed to have to cook it longer than the directions specified. I will cook about two cups dry mix, drain it in a colander, then package about 1/3 cup into snack size zip lock bags. I freeze them. My routine is to thaw overnight, microwave for 15 seconds, stir in a 1/4 teaspoon of red palm oil. I believe this has been one of Gilbert's magic potions to help her feathers grow in straight and she is looking better than ever.

That is awesome...rice cookers are pretty reasonable....do you think I could use any kind of rice cooker to do this? I definitely want to get something going for him like that where I can bag servings up and warm it up for him in the morning.

I know my rice cooker doesn't have a timer, so Katanas is probably a better model than the basic one I have. The Volkman mixes are popular around this house as well. Also, their seed mixes don't have those annoying pantry moths that every other seed mix I tried have.

Any rice cooker will work. I started with a plain Jane and liked it so much I upgraded to a small Sanyo brand with different cycles for brown rice. We have a Korean grocery store near Atlanta and they have Sanyo brand. This one had a heavy bowl, was non stick and has a timer, different cycles for brown rice etc. and will keep warm for up to twelve hours. I have memory issues and will walk away and forget what I'm doing. My husband and I were never big rice eaters but that changed with this rice cooker. I started making brown rice, then steaming vegetables in it, then making rice pilaf, mixing in the small red adzuki beans on a mixed cycle and then got the idea to do Gilbert's beans. I used to do the whole 2 pound bag, figure out how many days of servings, measure that much red palm oil and make a day of food prep that would last six months. Now its so much simpler with the rice cooker, I make a cup of the dry mix. Experiment until you get the texture Isaac likes. My biggest concern is that I read uncooked or undercooked kidney beans were unhealthy for parrots. If you have a rice cooker with only a white rice cycle, I would just soak the mix overnight, add more water, check after one cycle and if necessary, add more water and run a second cycle. There are oat groats and other grains but I cook it until you can take out a bean and bite it to see if its tender. All I know is this is our staple food. I usually serve it warm first thing in the morning but have occasionally forgotten to take it out and it does not have any odor or get spoiled.

To address another item you mentioned~ maybe I am a bad mom here but I do not rush to remove the bowls. When I give them their breakfast, it is when I am heading out the door, 9am, so the bowl will stay in the cage until I get home at 3 or 4, and they do pick at it during the day. Same with the dinner bowls, unless there is a meat in there or the fart smelling broccoli, they stay in until morning. Now don't get me wrong, if the food is a quick spoiler, I do remove them but most things don't spoil in a 7 hour span, worse thing I have encountered is some gnats around the fruits but I get gnats around the uncut fruit on my counter. (our guys don't like cold fruits) I guess I am saying to leave bowl so he can explore the food some while you are not there watching him! lol

To address another item you mentioned~ maybe I am a bad mom here but I do not rush to remove the bowls. When I give them their breakfast, it is when I am heading out the door, 9am, so the bowl will stay in the cage until I get home at 3 or 4, and they do pick at it during the day. Same with the dinner bowls, unless there is a meat in there or the fart smelling broccoli, they stay in until morning. Now don't get me wrong, if the food is a quick spoiler, I do remove them but most things don't spoil in a 7 hour span, worse thing I have encountered is some gnats around the fruits but I get gnats around the uncut fruit on my counter. (our guys don't like cold fruits) I guess I am saying to leave bowl so he can explore the food some while you are not there watching him! lol

Yeah....I think certain things are okay. You raise a good point. That will also help with giving him ample time to warm up to the food. Cause I think if he sees me seeing him not eat it...maybe he thinks there is a chance I will cave...but if I leave...he is committed. LOL.

I am going to hit the store after work and get a wide assortment of veggies and fruits for my boy. (The choice are usually fairly regular with apple, broccoli, carrots, and sugar snap\snow peas.) Any suggestions on how to make this most successful, please let me know. I will grow my list or alter my strategy.

I am just not sure how to handle it if Isaac takes to none of this upon first try. How do I switch it up. Should I keep trying one thing many times? How many things to mix together? I just tried a veggie mix that I steamed with bits of carrot, corn, bell pepper, an okra, broccoli, and green beans. I think he tossed a few things out...and started asking to get out. I left the bowl in his cage for about an hour before I came back and let him out to play. I mean...I can try this again...but how to proceed if he just ignores. The list of stuff I am sure he likes is small...and I get told he shouldn't have many of the things on his like list.

Cheddar Cheese

Mashed Potatoes

Chicken he really likes

He'll eat carrots

Exact Baby Formula (about the only thing that gets him flying around my head for it)

Spaghetti (with maranera when I eat it, or with palm oil when I give it to him)

He enjoys lapping my milk in my cereal...but not good so I stop him

He seems to enjoy some kinds of rice....Spanish rice...pilaf.....maybe wild sometimes

...knowing this...what would you do? I am guessing maybe he thinks he gets his formula so he just waits out for that. Maybe cut him off of that? Help!

Edited by Elvenking

If he likes milk he might like yogurt? I've read on hear that it is good for them (Timber won't eat it). The link I posted earlier for the Higgins mix that you cook has some type of rice and I know Timber likes that. Here's another link with interesting recipes... http://www.einsteinparrot.com/kitchen/recipes/

I feel your pain because Timber is picky too. I just keep sticking it all in there. Eventually, he will stick his beak in most things. I can tell pretty quickly when he is really disgusted by something (as he is by yogurt). I give him a little scrambled egg every morning. I just whisk the egg with a fork and microwave it (20 sec, stir, 20 sec, stir and check to be sure liquid is gone). I give him a teaspoon full with his breakfast and put the rest in the fridge in a sealed container for the next day. He does usually eat that. I've also found that he likes meat, just about any kind of meat. Chicken is probably his least favorite, though he does like a chicken wing bone. I know some here don't agree with feeding meat, but Timber is underweight. My vet told me to feed him meat if he wants it, just to avoid fatty cuts.

Wish I could help more, but I'm not very experienced myself! What I like about the forum is being able to hear what everyone else does. I've picked up many useful things that way.

If he likes milk he might like yogurt? I've read on hear that it is good for them (Timber won't eat it). The link I posted earlier for the Higgins mix that you cook has some type of rice and I know Timber likes that. Here's another link with interesting recipes... http://www.einsteinparrot.com/kitchen/recipes/

I feel your pain because Timber is picky too. I just keep sticking it all in there. Eventually, he will stick his beak in most things. I can tell pretty quickly when he is really disgusted by something (as he is by yogurt). I give him a little scrambled egg every morning. I just whisk the egg with a fork and microwave it (20 sec, stir, 20 sec, stir and check to be sure liquid is gone). I give him a teaspoon full with his breakfast and put the rest in the fridge in a sealed container for the next day. He does usually eat that. I've also found that he likes meat, just about any kind of meat. Chicken is probably his least favorite, though he does like a chicken wing bone. I know some here don't agree with feeding meat, but Timber is underweight. My vet told me to feed him meat if he wants it, just to avoid fatty cuts.

Wish I could help more, but I'm not very experienced myself! What I like about the forum is being able to hear what everyone else does. I've picked up many useful things that way.

Yeah...I hit the choices hard today. I did the steamed veggies late this afternoon....those went mostly to the wayside...he played a bit...maybe got some bites....then I left him with raw veggies....carrots, kale, okra, pear slices. Came home after 2 hours.....a bit moved around...again...hard to tell what really happened.

Now....eggs.....I know he luuhhhhhves eggs. So I put some broccoli in a chopper and ground it up fine...then blended in with his eggs and hit it with the micro. Fluffed up the eggs...he is eating those. HA!....got your broccoli!

I just got the Nurish to Flourish Cookbook today...time to start getting one of those together. I think I will try their chop they have in here....looks manageable and all the steps are drawn out good for the cooking impaired like me. I'll keep ya posted. He keeps returning to his eggs right now...getting a decent share of broccoli in with those is good. It is good to know that I can use eggs to get him into other things.

You did perfect with the egg thing! Chop up the good stuff he needs so it sticks to bad stuff he loves! Let him help you cook too! Bongo has a perch over the sink and is on it when I am cooking. (I keep a very close eye on him though because when he sees something he wants, he will fly to it. I keep something that he hates near the stove so he doesn't get tempted to taste test) Snap peas are a staple here, but only 3 eat them. Something weird I have noted with all my guys, with sweet potatoes if I buy just the normal ones they will not eat them at all but if I get the organic ones, they eat it every time. That doesn't happen with all their food, just those. Also, get a butternut squash and steam it ( skin and inners removed first, lol) Then mash it up like you would for mashed potatoes. That is a treat here and replaced the formula fixes for them. They all love their formula here too and I do still give it to them, but there is something about the butternut that they like even better. They don't/won't eat it from their bowls, we either spoon feed them that or in the feeding syringe.

Holy cow, and I mean that, my flock loves their meat and they get it in small amounts. I can't read too much into what the internet tells us or our birds would starve. I stay away from the known bad foods, onions, chocolate, avocados etc. but everything else is fair game!

He will snub everything at first, but that doesn't mean he doesn't like it, it means he knows you worked hard and by flinging it he is saying, Gee dad, you shouldn't have gone through so much trouble, sunflower seeds would have been just fine. lol Just keep offering it and one day when he flings it, he will get a taste of it on accident and find out he actually loves it!