NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Biting is getting out of hand.

phangtonpower

Phangton, it does seem from your wife's more recent interaction that just hanging out together before she leaves for work may be beneficial for awhile. That while may be several days, or weeks, but it is fine.

When a bird senses nervousness in creatures or other birds around them, it puts them on alert, and like us, when our own fight or flight instincts are triggered one of the two behaviors takes place. It is natural for your wife to feel trepidation after having been on the receiving end of attacks. It is natural for your bird to sense that nervousness and become on alert.

Seems as if they are both now in a conflicted feedback loop. Both have affection for each other, and both have become nervous around and wary of one another. Also, your bird can enjoy time with other flock members, but if you are whom he is primarily bonded with, he will not want to sit upon or be physically on another except for just short bursts. Often an other person gets bit when the bird is upon them and has tried to convey subtley that they are lingering too long together. Sort of like slow dancing for too long with someone else's spouse ....they want to stop.

If your guy is flying out of his cage and seeking out your wife, is it possible that he is wanting to land on her, and that because of their history she is jumpy and reacts from fear, so he bites to try to grab on? Or do you feel it is more of a chasing her away type of situation? He may be letting her know that you belong to him.

It can be really helpful to go back over each incident and write down the time, place, person, what was going on immediately before, and keep a journal. What seems like random often can have a subtle underlying pattern.

For now, my advice would be to have your wife contine the retrust building while your guy is in his cage. This way both are safe and relaxed.

Edited by Inara

Phangton, it does seem from your wife's more recent interaction that just hanging out together before she leaves for work may be beneficial for awhile. That while may be several days, or weeks, but it is fine.

When a bird senses nervousness in creatures or other birds around them, it puts them on alert, and like us, when our own fight or flight instincts are triggered one of the two behaviors takes place. It is natural for your wife to feel trepidation after having been on the receiving end of attacks. It is natural for your bird to sense that nervousness and become on alert.

Seems as if they are both now in a conflicted feedback loop. Both have affection for each other, and both have become nervous around and wary of one another. Also, your bird can enjoy time with other flock members, but if you are whom he is primarily bonded with, he will not want to sit upon or be physically on another except for just short bursts. Often an other person gets bit when the bird is upon them and has tried to convey subtley that they are lingering too long together. Sort of like slow dancing for too long with someone else's spouse ....they want to stop.

If your guy is flying out of his cage and seeking out your wife, is it possible that he is wanting to land on her, and that because of their history she is jumpy and reacts from fear, so he bites to try to grab on? Or do you feel it is more of a chasing her away type of situation? He may be letting her know that you belong to him.

It can be really helpful to go back over each incident and write down the time, place, person, what was going on immediately before, and keep a journal. What seems like random often can have a subtle underlying pattern.

For now, my advice would be to have your wife contine the retrust building while your guy is in his cage. This way both are safe and relaxed.

That's the thing she is never nervous around the bird. Except for a few isolated incidents, the bird has attacked her when she can't be seen, so I'm thinking the bites are more of "why don't you play" or "talk with me bites." I'm guessing that my wife just needs to spend more time with our bird, but the problem is she can't :(

Thanks for everyone's help. I really appreciate it.

As I have read through this thread you have gotten much good advice. I appreciate you and your wife's dedication to your bird, and I believe you will find your way forward. Some of what you have written reminds me a little bit of my CAG Gracie. Gracie never EVER bites me at home. She is the sweetest most trusted parrot when she is in her comfort zone in her safe environment. However, over the last year, Gracie has started biting me when I take her to visit my parents. I took her to my parents' house during Father's day weekend. She flew to me and perched on my hand. She sat with me for a short time just preening and making cooing sounds. Then out of the blue without warning, Gracie bit the CRAP out me. I like to think that I know her body language, but I didn't see any indication of a bite coming. She then said, "Gracie bite Daddy. Ouchie!" My theory is that she is irritated that she doesn't have my undivided attention and is punishing me. I try not to handle her much at my parents' house because she will bite me. The only time I KNOW she will not bite is when I tell her we are going home, and I put her in her travel cage. I wonder if maybe you bird is bonded to your wife but feels neglected because she is away so much. The fact that your parrot talks a lot when your wife is out of the room confirms this to me. When I am with Gracie she chatters normally, but if I leave the room, she goes into motor mouth mode and talks non stop almost incessantly and urgently until I come back. I don't have any particularly bright ideas to help you, but I think this acting out has to do with your birds feeling of being neglected by your wife. Maybe if your wife spends some extra special time with your bird, it might help.

On a side note, I spent about 4 years in Japan in the 1990s teaching English. I was in a small village on the Japan Sea (Wajima, Ishikakwa) for 2 years and then 2 years in Fukuoka. I miss Japan. Very interesting country. Where are you guys located. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Edited by JeffNOK

As I have read through this thread you have gotten much good advice. I appreciate you and your wife's dedication to your bird, and I believe you will find your way forward. Some of what you have written reminds me a little bit of my CAG Gracie. Gracie never EVER bites me at home. She is the sweetest most trusted parrot when she is in her comfort zone in her safe environment. However, over the last year, Gracie has started biting me when I take her to visit my parents. I took her to my parents' house during Father's day weekend. She flew to me and perched on my hand. She sat with me for a short time just preening and making cooing sounds. Then out of the blue without warning, Gracie bit the CRAP out me. I like to think that I know her body language, but I didn't see any indication of a bite coming. She then said, "Gracie bite Daddy. Ouchie!" My theory is that she is irritated that she doesn't have my undivided attention and is punishing me. I try not to handle her much at my parents' house because she will bite me. The only time I KNOW she will not bite is when I tell her we are going home, and I put her in her travel cage. I wonder if maybe you bird is bonded to your wife but feels neglected because she is away so much. The fact that your parrot talks a lot when your wife is out of the room confirms this to me. When I am with Gracie she chatters normally, but if I leave the room, she goes into motor mouth mode and talks non stop almost incessantly and urgently until I come back. I don't have any particularly bright ideas to help you, but I think this acting out has to do with your birds feeling of being neglected by your wife. Maybe if your wife spends some extra special time with your bird, it might help.

On a side note, I spent about 4 years in Japan in the 1990s teaching English. I was in a small village on the Japan Sea (Wajima, Ishikakwa) for 2 years and then 2 years in Fukuoka. I miss Japan. Very interesting country. Where are you guys located. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Yeah That's what I feel too. Except for the cage thing.

Recently I have been taking the bird to it's main cage in the mornings, but the other day I had my wife do it. The bird nipped at her ><

My wife just left and is now talking up a storm. She also loves to sing the theme to Totoro and we always do a thing were she sings a part and I sing a part.

If you lived in Japan still, we would have been neighbors :) Kinda. I live in Fukui, south of Ishikawa. Been here for almost 7years. Taught English, but I'm running a cafe now serving California style Mexican food and burgers. Going back to teaching though as Japanese don't really like foreighn food that hasn't been changed to there pallet. I'm kind of over it though, but since I'm married, I'm stuck. Wife doesn't want to move and we couldn't bring our bird anyway :(

Yeah That's what I feel too. Except for the cage thing.

Recently I have been taking the bird to it's main cage in the mornings, but the other day I had my wife do it. The bird nipped at her ><

My wife just left and is now talking up a storm. She also loves to sing the theme to Totoro and we always do a thing were she sings a part and I sing a part.

If you lived in Japan still, we would have been neighbors :) Kinda. I live in Fukui, south of Ishikawa. Been here for almost 7years. Taught English, but I'm running a cafe now serving California style Mexican food and burgers. Going back to teaching though as Japanese don't really like foreighn food that hasn't been changed to there pallet. I'm kind of over it though, but since I'm married, I'm stuck. Wife doesn't want to move and we couldn't bring our bird anyway :(

They say Greys are not the best singers, but some of the most fun I have is singing with Gracie and teaching her songs. Her voice is not what you would call "beautiful" but she hits the notes and knows the words (although sometimes she makes up her own lyrics). I understand about being "over it" in Japan. The culture is quite different and I had my moments of frustration at times, but all in all it was a great experience. I think if you decided to return to the US you could bring your grey, but of course there are procedures to follow. I think I went to Fukui once. It is pretty rural too, like Ishikawa. If you ever travel to Ishikawa, I recommend going up the Noto Hanto peninsula and drive the road from Wajima to Monzen--or take a bus. The views are breathtaking with tall sheer cliffs rising next to the sea.

They say Greys are not the best singers, but some of the most fun I have is singing with Gracie and teaching her songs. Her voice is not what you would call "beautiful" but she hits the notes and knows the words (although sometimes she makes up her own lyrics). I understand about being "over it" in Japan. The culture is quite different and I had my moments of frustration at times, but all in all it was a great experience. I think if you decided to return to the US you could bring your grey, but of course there are procedures to follow. I think I went to Fukui once. It is pretty rural too, like Ishikawa. If you ever travel to Ishikawa, I recommend going up the Noto Hanto peninsula and drive the road from Wajima to Monzen--or take a bus. The views are breathtaking with tall sheer cliffs rising next to the sea.

Actually she whistles it and always whistles the last note flat :P

I've checked into importing our bird, but there is a ban for Japan for bringing birds into the States because of bird flu. I wish I could. It's really hard to find anything for her here. I usually order stuff from the States. There isn't even an avian vet. Probably have to go to Tokyo.

Japan is an awesome place to travel and maybe live for max 3 years. Seems to be the limit for most gaijin. I go to Kanazawa often and once they build a costco out there, I'll probably go once a week! Beats driving into kyoto and a lot closer. Ishikawa is rural, but Fukui is a way worse. If I had a choice I'd probably want to live in Kanazawa over any of the bigger cities. Still haven't made it out to Noto, but I will one day :)