NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Vet bill

My grey name Gee turned 19 years old on April 1, 2014. All was well with her until January 2013 when she started plucking her feathers. We tried haloperidol, Prozac, changing where her cage is, cutting off nesting areas, all the tricks in the book. I couldn't believe she'd start plucking in her late teens for the first time. She's been laying eggs for 10 years already. So today I brought her to the Vet for a Lupron injection. Gee weighs 375 grams. The Lupron came out to $330.00! Avian exam was $91.00, Chlamydia test was $82.00. Plus there were other charges. I'm still in shock. But I'll do anything to stop Gee from plucking and laying clutches of eggs. Anyone had these problems?

My grey name Gee turned 19 years old on April 1, 2014. All was well with her until January 2013 when she started plucking her feathers. We tried haloperidol, Prozac, changing where her cage is, cutting off nesting areas, all the tricks in the book. I couldn't believe she'd start plucking in her late teens for the first time. She's been laying eggs for 10 years already. So today I brought her to the Vet for a Lupron injection. Gee weighs 375 grams. The Lupron came out to $330.00! Avian exam was $91.00, Chlamydia test was $82.00. Plus there were other charges. I'm still in shock. But I'll do anything to stop Gee from plucking and laying clutches of eggs. Anyone had these problems?

Ouch. Your vet charges a bit more than ours. I think our exams are $45 here. I just had two Greys in and one had a beak reshaping and a pedicure and the other was in for a followup for plucking. No tests, just some advice and orders to get her some Rescue Remedy. (The previous visit we were prescribed Soother spray). The total bill was around $101, I think. I don't know about the Lupron. Some drugs are ridiculously expensive. Especially since it is used as a cancer treatment. As satan told God when he was asking to further tempt Job - "Skin for skin, all a man has he will give for his life." Drug companies know this and take full advantage. :( Is the Lupron a treatment for the hormonal (egg laying) behaviour? I know they mentioned this for Aria when we thought she was a he with a testicular tumor. Makes that $72 for the blood draw and DNA sexing seem like a pittance. I am glad she turned out to be a she!

Good luck with Gee. I hope you can get her to stop plucking. We are only having limited success with Megan. (It appears to be behavioral - related to my new job).

Yeah, avian vets are high. For us it is 75 to walk in and be seen, then they nickel and dime you, 34 for the beak and nails, 18 more for a second person if it is a big bird, 7.50 more if you are dropping them off, etc. I however love our vet so, like you, I do what must be done for the health of my flock. I have a few pluckers also and our next step for 2 of them is a cone which I am not 100% sure of and the cone is almost 300 and they keep the bird a few days to make sure they adjust to it and don't injure their self. (He makes the leather cones.) I just can't bring myself to do that to them.

I like my vet a lot, even though I have only taken Alex and Rocco to him when I first got them for a check-up. He was highly recommended (Avian vet) and charges $71 for a yearly check-up and that includes health check, advice, nail/beak trimming. he spent an 45 min with us each time. Maybe its because he owns the clinic and loves birds.

Sorry to hear Gee is having trouble. Let me tell you what worked for Brutus when he started barbering his feathers. My vet said he was low on calcium. He said take Brutus outside into the sunshine once a day for 15 minutes - most days. So now I roll his cage out the patio door for 15 minutes around noon. It is still cool enough here, but Florida, you would have to go out earlier. Anyway, do that, and then once a week give Gee a cooked chicken drumstick bone to eat. Please choose organic chicken, it is so much better for them--higher nutrients! My guys had no trouble eating it and knowing how to do it. The marrow is full of vitamins and minerals that are so good for them! After a few days of sunshine, Brutus never hurt his feathers again! I bet Gee's problems stem from diet deficiencies since the poor girl lays eggs. Please try it. It worked for Brutus it could work for Gee.

Edited by chezron