NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Constant scratching ?

mervyn2233

hi guys just a quick question .My cag is regulary down in one corner of the cage scratching with one foot on a ledge of the cage its so annoying with the loud scratching sound i dont know why he is doin it. He cant possible be bored as i have 3 - 4 toys and 3 perches in the cage that are rotated and i leave him out as much as i can when im home .It puzzles me , any ideas why this behaviour occurs ?

Josey, my 17 month old grey still does that scratching, and its like a chicken doing it, she usually does it on her pellet bowl and sometimes she does it in the corner of her play top. I think she is either wanting out of the cage or to come to me, I just ignore it for the most part.

It's nothing to worry about. They all do that, even other species. Nature is telling them to do that in order to find different foods that've fallen to the ground from trees. Don't worry, they will continue doing that. Notice that when he's doing that he's absolutely oblivious to you watching him/her? Greys are scavengers and will group together and eat anything that's available on the ground when in the wild.

PS--when you see this happening, don't interfere. The bird will eventually stop and go back to whatever he/she wants.

Scavenging in the wild

greysforaging.jpg

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/05 22:13<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/11/05 22:23

Guest briansmum

WOW! i love that picture i've never seen any pictures or footage of them in the wild, i love that, thanks very much for sharing.

• 1 year later...

Grey't picture Dave Adaya does the chicken scratch thing in her seed dish she send seeds flying everywhere. I find she does it when I cover her at night or when she hears my up in the morning she will scratch in her seed bowl to let me know she wants to get out of her cage. she gets up a couple hours before the other birds so we have our quality time then

Harvey does this around his food bowls - he stands on one foot whilst he uses the bowl as a "steering wheel" with the other - he's done it since the day we brought him home and does it as soon as we put him in his cage - such an attention seeker - he eventually stops too when he knows we aren't going to get him back out!

Dave - that picture is amazing - what a sight to behold eh?

Wow the foraging pic is excellent! Scratching hmmm theory is that the females are more likely to do it and I am aware of a person that has a grey in an aviary and the grey digs holes in the dirt. Koko did it a lot when I first brought her home and on occasion she gets a bit excited and does it on corners of the couch or between my body and the back of the couch.

I don't see this very often but Whisper has done it when I have had to put her in her cage for some reason when I am still there and she wants OUT. She is nearly always out when I am home so I only see it occasionally.