NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Grey forum members and Amazons;

Ray P

I had no idea how many Grey forum members have had Amazons in the past and have told me how much they missed them.

When Cricket passed away I received many PMs and E-males from members who had Amazons in the past who loved them beyond belief.

So many times I have read in other places where people have called them Green Angles from Hell. Yet when you talk to care givers who have had them for long periods of time you hear a different story.

For a long time I thought Cricket was some thing special until I hear about many Amazons with a gentle side.

It`s when someone will say that all greys are pluckers, We at grey forums know that is not true.

There is a fine line between truth and fiction, but some times there is this Grey area in between that hides the truth and or the fiction.

You have to sort it out.

Greys and amazons have made many people happy, and upset a person or two.

Edited by Ray P
  • Haha 1

You know Ray, this is the same with us as humans. I know I have gone through times when I was a little less loveable, a little more highly reactive. The truth is, I have bitten a person or two in my wilder youth. Hahahaha. But once I was in a loving relationship I reinvented myself into a fine feathered companion. Every parrot to human relationship is affected by genetic composition, early imprinting, life experience and is subject to change on a daily basis. I do believe a successful relationship depends a little on chemistry, a little on expectations, a lot on successful interactions and most of all on mutual respect, trust, kindness and sometimes forgiveness.

Katana, your post was fantastic. It is so true. All of us have been wonderful and horrible depending on the situation. Parrots are the same. When I first started doing research on parrots, I read the same stuff Dave mentioned (Greys are phobic pluckers and Amazons are aggressive and potentially dangerous.) Those worst case scenarios need not be the case. It is up to US who share our lives with these wonderful birds to provide the environment that encourages them to thrive. In many cases the worst comes out because the caregivers either don't do their homework or fail to invest the time, compassion, patience and understanding required for such complex creatures. I am not judging anyone. Frankly, I believe successful parrot "ownership" is really only the privilege of the "few". But what a lucky few we are. When I read Dave's post about his early days with Cricket, I was moved. How many people would have chosen to invest his heart the way he did in such a caring and gentle way? Cricket bloomed and all of us have been blessed by sharing in the experience. I believe that it is possible with almost all parrots unless they have been irrevocably traumatized. We underestimate the potential that parrots have as loving engaging companions. Thankfully, we see stories here on greyforums.net that can encourage is all to throw out the stereotypes and embrace a journey with unlimited potential.

Edited by JeffNOK

Until I got our Caique, Toby, my BFA Tigger was probably the most playful, energetic bird I've ever encountered. I'm pretty sure he was wild caught and dragged across the Mexican border too. He never really 'tamed down' or learned to trust me, but at 19, I'm not sure I was trust-able. He used to ride on my beach bike, hanging upside down with his wings flapping out of sheer playfulness. Only my Caique has matched his robustness when it comes to playtime. Amazons are fun fun fun. If I didnt have a three bird limit, I think I'd be talking my wife into an Amazon.

Also, I've had two separate parrot lives. One well before the age of the internet and the wealth of information it has afforded. Not sure if my Amazon Tigger was a boy or girl, I just assumed based on 'his' personality. 'He' never was aggressive like I now read about Amazons. Shoot, maybe he was a she?!? Do the shes get aggressive/hormonal? He was always the same - very leary of any of us humans.

Amazons are amazing! We will always miss our Kiki. If you asked me who ruled our MBS... I don't really know. Kiki our Amazon dictated the diet... if she liked it, everyone else tried it. She nuggled our rescue Sunconure and took him literally under her wing. She got bored with Sophie's flying ability and taught Sophie how to fly. That was an amazing day, that I stayed out of. Now Sophie can fly after a decade. I'm tearing up.... as we miss Kiki so much. Nancy

Ray, I love this thread. I still tear up when I think of my Elliot. He was such an awful biting screeching (and then killed a bird) mess that the pet store GAVE him to me (long story, I'll post sometime) after a guy that bought him brought him back and dumped him off in his cage one early morning before the pet store opened. This was in the 70's, pre-internet also. I had haunted the pet store in our little town for years but could never afford the prices. I was a teenaged mom, alone. Imagine my delight when they gave him to me, for FREE!! Again too long of a story to post here, don't want to hijack your thread but the long and short of it is that I named him Elliot (after Elliot Gould in M*A*S*H) and loved him until the day he died.

He was terrified of people, gloves, and cages so would lash out at all and make this Karackarack!!!!!!!!!!! sound looking wild and crazy. He had plucked himself. I didn't see a "bronco" untamable wild caught crazy bird. I saw a terrified, mishandled bird. Elliot was my first great teacher. I threw out the cage, drilled a circular hole in an old coffee table, parked a huge branch in it from my back yard, and he climbed right up. He quietly perched there day after day, and I would leave him little offerings on some of the branches, near food and water cups that I had attached to the branches. He never would step onto my hand even after all the years we shared together, but he would happily climb onto a stick that I would extend for him and from there he would scoot up my arm and to my shoulder. He became so gentle and such a lover that he would preen my eyebrows and eyelashes with the most delicate touch I've ever felt from creature or human. We grew (obviously) to trust each other immensely.

He was my first great love and reading about your beautiful Cricket and then untimely passing just broke my heart no end.

I was worried about adding Echo to our house, unsure if he would be a good fit. Turns out, after almost a year, he is the funniest thing around! He dances on command, screeches so loud you can hear him out at the street, and loves everybody. He is like a puppy who just wants to play. Best decision ever!!