NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Amazon body Language (taught by Cricket)

Ray P

All parrots speak in body language to some degree, but it`s the Amazon that they say speak it best.

The trouble is when people speak of amazon body language they talk about the raised neck feathers, the pinned eyes and the dreaded fanned tail feathers that mean, back off or I will take a big chunk out of you and send it to your relatives. Well you better back off because they mean what they say.

This is what I believed about Amazons before Cricket, and that you had to be a very skilful in Amazon behavior in order to get by this little kink in their DNA.

You can not boss an Amazon as this makes it worse, You can not fear an Amazon because this puts them in control and their body language will show you this in no uncertain terms.

As I would sit by her cage and sometimes I would talk to her and sometimes I would just sit there. There were times I would eat my carrot chunks. She seam to know I was confident in what I was doing and it was her that made the first move when she put her foot through the bars for me to give her a carrot and the time she put her beak between the bars and gently took a carrot from between my fingers, well that was Amazon body language of the best kind.

Being able to read the gentle request is just as important as knowing when they want you to stop.

The more you learn how to read the good stuff, the less you will see the bad stuff.

This comes between developing a relationship and building a bond. I guess you might call it respect.

Yes, Ray, you said it wonderfully. Sometimes reading grey body language is difficult, but an amazon has no problem communicating. I find that with Nilah, she has learned that she needs to comply as much as she is able to, which isn't a lot, but I have to be smarter than her and LET her think that what I want her to do is HER idea.....