NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hi from Rome

Hi to everyone! my name is Ilaria im 35 year old and im the happy mom of a cag. But i need your help and all the advices you want to give me cos my situation is a bit weird. let me say what's the problem... my cag is only two weeks old today! my vet (a breeder) call me on phone and say he have a present for me, a 2 days old cag who need a mummy... cos his young parent dont take care of the eggs, so my vet put the eggs in the incubator even if he think was empty eggs. 1 of 3 of this eggs give to birth a cag but my vet cant put the baby under another birds like amazon or something like that. so the baby need a mummy. i bring him (her i dont know yet) to my home with a warm room (broomer or incubator) i feed him cuddle him and keep him warm. but im bit worried for him, i had read isn good for him grow up without any parrots near to him... i have two baby cats (found in the trash ad i feed them too) and a small dog very sweet.... but no other parrots. my question is can my cag grow up happy even without other birds near? there is someone who had my same experience? i need your support please! how long i have to keep the baby in the warm room? now i keep him at 35 celsius.

for now his name is Giggetto

sorry to all for my bad english be patience please!!

20140617_113541.jpg

Has your vet/breeder helped at all with information on how to take care of a baby.

It`s a lot of work and there should be some one who knows about hand feeding and making hand feeding formula and temperature.

You may have taken on a task much to large for a person with no parrot hand feeding experience.

I wish you good luck and hope you can find someone that can help you.

It's not my first parrot, i had an amazon year ago. I am a substitude mum for bird and other animal since i was 15 old.. i had feed a lot of bird. I have tecnical support from my vet. I know how take care of the baby... im worried for his socialization... i dont know if i make it clear...

I am glad to hear that you have a background with birds and the technical support that you need.

Some times we see a new person that never had parrots before try and hand feed their little one only to lose it later.

We are hear to help all we can, but we are so far away in another country and we don`t know what you have for a support system in case you need something in a hurry.

A hand feed baby makes a great companion.

Hi to everyone! my name is Ilaria im 35 year old and im the happy mom of a cag. But i need your help and all the advices you want to give me cos my situation is a bit weird. let me say what's the problem... my cag is only two weeks old today! my vet (a breeder) call me on phone and say he have a present for me, a 2 days old cag who need a mummy... cos his young parent dont take care of the eggs, so my vet put the eggs in the incubator even if he think was empty eggs. 1 of 3 of this eggs give to birth a cag but my vet cant put the baby under another birds like amazon or something like that. so the baby need a mummy. i bring him (her i dont know yet) to my home with a warm room (broomer or incubator) i feed him cuddle him and keep him warm. but im bit worried for him, i had read isn good for him grow up without any parrots near to him... i have two baby cats (found in the trash ad i feed them too) and a small dog very sweet.... but no other parrots. my question is can my cag grow up happy even without other birds near? there is someone who had my same experience? i need your support please! how long i have to keep the baby in the warm room? now i keep him at 35 celsius.

for now his name is Giggetto

sorry to all for my bad english be patience please!!

Ciao, benvenuto al nostro consiglio di amministrazione.

well, it's not good that you received such a young bird but it's too late to change anything.

It's very good that you have handfeeding experience. I hope that your experience with hand feeding other birds means that you've hand fed such young ones. Your bird needs to be fed at least 4/5 times a day and at each feeding you should allow the bird to eat as much formula as it wants to. Do that with every feeding. As he gets much older, he'll start to refuse one feeding so a little extra formula should be given in all the other feedings of the day. Don't decide to give one less feeding. Let the bird tell you that. Very Important especially because of it's age.

As far as growing up with no parents--that sometimes happens to other parrots, usually not on purpose but your parrot can grow as a very happy bird as long as you have a warm, happy, caring relationship. Slight petting is always good. Lots of talking, having food and water always available and most of all, not letting your other animals scare him. That'll cause lots of problems. Other than that, there's nothing more that you can do but pay lots of attention to any health changes and go to the vet.

A warm room is always important to such young chicks as long as there's also fresh air to be used for breathing. Heat should;nt be put directly on the bird. It should surround it from at least 15 inches away. I have no idea what you're using to create that heat so I can't tell you more.

PS----Giggetto è un bel nome. Buona fortuna.

Edited by Dave007

Hi to all and thanks for the advice, i feed other parrots and make it adult. I know is not good such a young bird but i have no choise, who take care of him? The young parents dont look after the eggs and the vet think there was blind eggs, but one give a birth. My vet isvery busy and cant look after him (her) in a good way, need a lot of attention. I control his weight every morning, feed him 4/5 at day with a formula at the right temperature, always check if his grop is empty and he is ok, clean him and the nest at every feed and sterilize all the tools i use to feed him. I was not happy and scared at the beginning cos 3 day old parrot is very young.. he was a little pink thing... but who look after him? I cant ignore him. He is 14 days today, tomorrow we go to the vet for a check. I let you know how he is.

I hope i will be a good mum for him and he will be happy...

thanks for all

Edited by darkila79

It sure sounds like you are a very good Mom! You have gotten that baby through two rough weeks. As said, it happens now and then that a chick will need to be raised without the parents. You keep up the playing-as the chick develops-and I think you will have one happy and healthy chick. Since you have had other parrots you most likely know how to play with them and that will come in handy. Just lower the play to a newborn's level. As time passes, please let us know how you and your little one are doing and ask any specific questions you may have. We LOVE pictures! LOL

Don't worry about your English - you do much better than I could in another language!!

Its amazing to see how he is growing so fast everyday he is getting 10 g at day. When he is born my vet say he was a bit smaller than the others baby cag he see in his breeders life but i think now he is in size. Someone know the weight of 3 week old cag?

I don't know anything about baby birds, other than what I read here on the forum, because my guy was a re-homed adult, but I wanted to say welcome and thank you for taking on the responsibility for raising this baby. Maybe there is some information on weights and/or a growth chart of some kind in the nursery room on this forum. Take a look anyway, there's lots of good baby info there.