NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I do love Craig's List!

birdhouse

:) Kura's got a brand new, second hand travel cage. It was a beautiful day. So we had to try it out.

The people couldn't use this 30"L x 19"D x 22"H carrier which they bought for their beautiful B&G because it turned out to be too short to accommodate his beautiful tail. :(

The thing dwarfs the middle size King's carrier that Phenix has. And while it may not be quite as sturdy as the King's, it's so-o-o much sturdier than the smaller version I have.

It also came w/a (different) perch & a pair of pint sized cups. I'd never seen cups that have the same screw caps as the rope perches, before. But I'm finding I'm really liking them.

All in all, I think I got a pretty good deal for $25!!

kuraCg.jpg

phnxKuraCgs.jpg

phnxJustCuz.jpg

Edited by birdhouse

Nothing. Sorry SterlingSL. I didn't even think to ask where it all came from. I was too busy hightailing it out of there before someone came to their senses! lol

But I did research the cups because I'd never seen the design before & I might like to get more. I really do like them.

Thinking they might have come from Windy City Parrot. They sell First Prize Pet cups. I just looked & they look to have the carrier or one just like it, too.

http://www.windycityparrot.com/Fold-Away-Travel-Cage-Carrier-for-Large-Parrots-603-30-X-19-x-22_p_605.html#.U5-q-ygV_ow

We have a smaller version of this cage, we got it from the bird fair. http://countryfeathers.net/TRAVEL-CAGES.html prices are less at the bird fair, but maybe it's been a while. We have had to modify the spring clips because Gilbert dismantles them. I use the quick links on each one for additional security. Now those cups are interesting. I have a solid blue one with that type of connection but the clear acrylic is way cool. That is a double bonus on that great bargain. I am thoroughly amazed you can set your cages on the grass. All my parrots get upset about being set down below waist level.

We have a smaller version of this cage, we got it from the bird fair. http://countryfeathers.net/TRAVEL-CAGES.html prices are less at the bird fair, but maybe it's been a while. We have had to modify the spring clips because Gilbert dismantles them. I use the quick links on each one for additional security. Now those cups are interesting. I have a solid blue one with that type of connection but the clear acrylic is way cool. That is a double bonus on that great bargain. I am thoroughly amazed you can set your cages on the grass. All my parrots get upset about being set down below waist level.

Kura was the only one I really trusted in my smaller folding carry cage. She just wants to sit & watch the world go by. So she would have been fine in it, except it's kind of small.

However, every time I put Phenix in particular outside, he initially spends a ton of time & effort looking for a way to escape. No matter what I did for that cage, I never felt like he was safe in it. It took him no time at all to attack those stupid spring clips especially.

No matter whatever additional security measures I added, he was always trying to push thru any real or imagined vulnerable spot. So besides fearing he might escape, I was also afraid he might hurt himself.

That just doesn't apply w/the King's carrier. So in spite of it's weight & a few other "design flaws", he hasn't gone out in anything else since I got it.

This new carrier is very obviously designed for bigger birds because it's beefier all around. The door latch is tough for me to flip. The clips each have 2 hooks instead of the single one in the small cage. Although I had to laugh because albeit more robust, still only 1 spring per each. Otherwise though, nearly everything about it feels like the average escape artist might actually stay put.

Originally, I put the cages on tables on the deck. But when the hawks moved into the yard, I was afraid leave them unattended for any length of time. For a while, that meant the gang got much less outdoors time.

Then, I started lugging the cages around on folding tables while I gardened. Eventually I got lazy & just sat them on the ground beside me while I weeded. I think having me right beside them like that made it mostly okay. But I'm also never more than a few feet way, either.

Thanks for reminding me! As it happened, I got another extremely awesome bonus into this bargain. When I started searching for a bigger travel cage last fall, I happened on a CL ad for a certain Papillon who stole my heart & "followed me home". Another reason to be glad for Craig's List because she's just about as sweet as they come.

IMG_0045.jpg

I'm usually much better behaved than that. And to be fair, I did resisted that cute little face & her whole sad story for almost a week. By the time I finally decided to get it out of my system & send the email, I was sure she'd have been spoken for long since. See how well that panned out...? lol

And I am very very glad because she really is a sweetheart & she seemed to belong here almost from the start.