NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Baby Rio growling and shaking head

QWERTY_

hello

New changes have come up with our baby Rio. We had him for a week and all of the time he was making crying noises and was very calm and tamed you woukd pick him up and pet him and he woukd fall asleep. Now all of a sudden he started to growl spread his wings out, shake his head, almost like bark and do more suden movements (like he would be crazy) and he wouldnt sit still now always trying to bite something

( and other thing I noticed he itching his head more whils he is angry. Not plucking feathers.)

What is this suden change of behaviour??? Is it normal? Here is a video how he acts.

Pretty clear to me - you got the under-feeding situation resolved and now baby wants to play now that he has excess energy! That behavior is normal. All birds tend to scratch a lot but Greys and other dander heavy birds will do it quite a bit. By the way, that's pretty benign behaviour compared to the way they can get. My Greycie Mae will strafe the living room and shoot down any who dare to fly in her airspace (kidding). Here's a good example of more of what you're in for. It's all just their way of playing and getting their rowdy on. You'll see it commonly referred to as the 'pterodactyl'.

[video=youtube_share;KmoMJYTU10g]

I agree with Sterling. Looks to me like he wants to play. When Dorian gets into this kind of mood he doesn't have the option of the pterodactyl flight because he doesn't fly, but he does attack the stuffing out of his bell in his cage. Does Rio have a bell to take his extra energy out on?